• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(GI.biz) Sony plans restrictions on PSP games power consumption

drohne said:
i don't really understand the hysteria over the psp's battery life. in what context would you play your gameboy for hours at a time, away from a power outlet? perhaps long-haul flights, or long car trips as a passenger? i don't think i've ever done so, and i travel a fair bit.

i can see how short battery life would introduce some hassles -- recharging every couple days rather than once a week, plugging in when an outlet is available -- but i don't see how it's a crippling defecit. seems like a fair trade-off for the first decent piece of portable gaming hardware since the lynx. and unlike the lynx or nomad or turbo express, the psp isn't at all bulky.

so is the fixation on battery life just nintendo advocates going after a perceived weakness? or would it meaningfully interfere with the way you play portable games?

Depends on how exactly long PSP's battery life is. If you get at least 3 hours of gaming per charge, I say you are right. If you can't even get 2 hours per charge, then....

alejob

Panajev2001a said:
I am here for the history lesson, prof.

Enlighten me :).

P.S.: we are talking about Sony Computer Entertainment.

Hmm, How about 30 million polygons on PS2? Or downloadable content? Or surfing the web? Checking emails?

Again, Marconelly is a breath of lucidity in a forum. The public, paying $1500+, accepts that a centrino-powered laptop has longer battery life than a P4 with a 3d card and widescreen monitor does. Why should it be any different for gaming systems?

Lame attempt to be funny. The tag was obviously put on by someone who was upset I got a ton of Katamari Damacy games. I could careless about the tag, my probleim is with the hackneyed attempts to make a joke about it in every post as a way of defense against my points is boring, repetitive, and lame at best. I hope you'll become something other than an internet jokester. XOXOHTH

edit.. this post was for millhouse btw.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Laptop are not mainstream.
Laptop are made for people who really need to work on the go.
"Normal" people buy classic computer (or buy laptop and never move it from there desk)

PSP need to be mainstream.
PSP is an entertainment device.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Infernodash said:
Lame attempt to be funny. The tag was obviously put on by someone who was upset I got a ton of Katamari Damacy games. I could careless about the tag, my probleim is with the hackneyed attempts to make a joke about it in every post as a way of defense against my points is boring, repetitive, and lame at best. I hope you'll become something other than an internet jokester. XOXOHTH

edit.. this post was for millhouse btw.

I don't know how you get it, i just find it funny in the context of the thread.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Would you really class a cell phone or a laptop as dedicated handheld/portable entertainment devices?
Laptop, probably not. Cellphones are today as much fashion accessories/entertainment devices as they are communication devices. What about digital cameras? Expensive, short battery lives, lower picture quality than regular 35mm film, but hey, they are fun to use, and people like them and are buying them in droves.

Laptop are not mainstream.
Laptop are made for people who really need to work on the go.
That is, for the speciffic group of people. Same can be said for the gaming systems in general. It's just that, gaming systems are targeted at larger group of people than laptops, but laptops are targeted at richer (but still very numerous group)

I'm quite surprised at the seriousness of negativity some people express towards PSP (again, very much reminds me of pre-Xbox climate). What is so genuinly terrible about PSP that makes people, who openly admit they have no interest in buying it, make snide and demeaning comments about it? Is it not a nice new piece of hardware that will give some interesting, and fair, competition to this market (by going after different group of consumers, pricing it fairly, giving new jobs to smaller dev teams, etc) Think about it - even if you do feel some hostility towards it, for whatever reason, think what it makes you look like if you openly express such hostility.

Firest0rm

Marconelly said:
What about digital cameras? Expensive, short battery lives, lower picture quality than regular 35mm film, but hey, they are fun to use, and people like them and are buying them in droves.

There's a reason for Digital Cameras doing well, they offer things that are actually more practical and also help cutting costs in the long run. You can store alot more pictures, you can make alot of modifications to the pictures you took, you can see the picture before paying for it and also remove a picture you dont like the moment you took it and replace it with a better one. In addition you can easily send copies of your pictures through the computer at no cost.

Culex

Banned
Marconelly said:
Laptop, probably not. Cellphones are today as much fashion accessories/entertainment devices as they are communication devices. What about digital cameras? Expensive, short battery lives, lower picture quality than regular 35mm film, but hey, they are fun to use, and people like them and are buying them in droves.

Actually, a 6 megapixel camera has better image quality than a 35mm camera.

sohka88 said:
no.

The DS is IMO worthless HW. I am not getting a PSP either, but I would get it before getting yet another underpowered nintendo platform with multiple re-re-re-releases of Old mario games and the likes.

Have you seen the PSP soon to be releases?Judging by your statement above you probably havent......

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Actually, a 6 megapixel camera has better image quality than a 35mm camera.
No. Maybe if you buy studio quality digital camera, but for the homemade models - hell no. Color dynamic range is nowhere near the same.

There's a reason for Digital Cameras doing well, they offer things that are actually more practical and also help cutting costs in the long run. You can store alot more pictures, you can make alot of modifications to the pictures you took, you can see the picture before paying for it and also remove a picture you dont like the moment you took it and replace it with a better one. In addition you can easily send copies of your pictures through the computer at no cost.
Of course they have some advantages! PSP also has some key advantages over anything else of it's kind, but those, somehow, go unmentioned by you.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
alejob said:
Hmm, How about 30 million polygons on PS2? Or downloadable content? Or surfing the web? Checking emails?

1st: the machine can do that, 30 MVertices/s was qualified (two VUs dedicated to geometry) and it was a simple synthetic benchmark which Sony has run.

Downloadable content ? Let me see EQ:OA, FFXI, SOCOM 2... they qualify.

Surfing the web: delivered (PS2Linux ;)).

E-mails: PS2Linux, FFXI :).

well, now gamers should be able to pick up two versions of every PSP title - one for the gamer with more cash and the battery pack and the other vanilla version so he can actually get some game time. Good to go Sony. :|

BOMB BOMB.

-1 for region lock
-1 for battery life

Go Go Ackman! said:
Again, Marconelly is a breath of lucidity in a forum. The public, paying $1500+, accepts that a centrino-powered laptop has longer battery life than a P4 with a 3d card and widescreen monitor does. Why should it be any different for gaming systems?
The thing is, even if that expensive laptop with the small battery life sells to a smaller group, that group will still be able to use it for many things for a long time, because it just does what a PC does, portably. If PSP is too niche, however, the software dries up.

Firest0rm

Marconelly said:
No. Maybe if you buy studio quality digital camera, but for the homemade models - hell no. Color dynamic range is nowhere near the same.

Of course they have some advantages! PSP also has some key advantages over anything else of it's kind, but those, somehow, go unmentioned by you.

?? I didn't say anything against PSP. I only spoke against Pana's comment on DS.

Culex

Banned
Marconelly said:

Take a 6 megapixel camera and a regular 35mm film camera. Take a shot of the exact same area of say, a newspaper. Blown up, the film may be a bit sharper, but the terrible grainy effect is there.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Regular ? You mean for the same price of the non-shitty 6 MegaPixels camera right ?

Grain or non grain: color fidelity and contrast >>>>>> grain.

Culex

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
Regular ? You mean for the same price of the non-shitty 6 MegaPixels camera right ?

Grain or non grain: color fidelity and contrast >>>>>> grain.

Yea, equally priced.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Wait, so... Sony's providing this powerful hardware, but because they could not provide ample battery life, they are placing limits on how much of the PSP hardware is utilized?

If they are prohibited from using, say, more than 70% of the PSP's potential, then what the hell is the point of including that extra 30% in the PSP hardware? Why not downgrade the hardware to account for that limit?

sohka88

so is the fixation on battery life just nintendo advocates going after a perceived weakness? or would it meaningfully interfere with the way you play portable games?

You already know the answer to this... you don't need to ask.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yes. We're not talking about Jam here are we? Because I don't see how you can homemake electronics.
I meant models for public consumption. No idea why I said it the way I did, but I hope it was obvious enough what I tried to say.

Take a 6 megapixel camera and a regular 35mm film camera. Take a shot of the exact same area of say, a newspaper. Blown up, the film may be a bit sharper, but the terrible grainy effect is there.
Terrible grainy effect is hardly something to put against film, when the problem is ten times more obvious with digital cameras, when making pictures in anything but ideal lighting conditions.

Diffense

Sony doesn't understand balance. The PS2 is weaker than the sum of its parts because they didn't balance certain aspects of the design. In the case of the PSP, it really makes no sense to design an over-powerful device then tell developers that cannot use it beyond a certainly level. It's wasted money to both Sony and the consumer onto whom the cost is passed.

Go Go Ackman! said:
- TheGreenGiant, you are a dumbass.

- Can we please remain on topic?

yes. I am.

yes. I don't see where the digital camera comments came from - PSP really doesn't really fit into that category although they could do to carry over the mindset on battery life in THIS market. As for laptops not being mainstream - they are. VERY. They're just targeted at a different set of consumers; people who demand mobility.

I personally find this thread to be hilarious - PSP supporter/haters have been going at it - I think I belong to the latter camp and I find the device losing its appeal over time (greatly) for these reasons

1. Battery peripheral
2. Now this
3. (also concerned about screen scratches) - as someone with a defaced ipod :( ; hp 4450, mobile phone, sp, I have lots of kit in my bag at any one time.
4. Region lock.
5. media playback = moot. UMD makes it unviable.

and why? because the battery life issue was always a sore point for the PSP. I don't see how anyone can put a +ve spin on it - although Millhouse is/was right. It is future proof - sort of... but then how much more money are you going to pour into this if you adopt it first gen. Buy new batteries / more batteries for the PSP for gaming on the go (I don't see problems with this)... does the PSP take NON proprietary rechargables? If it doesn't = NO sale. If I need to get the battery peripheral to use AA rechargables - then it better be a cheap $5-10 kit (battery optional).

I agree with Gaimeguys comments.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
And Sony will never directly answer them

well it'll be in the stores soon enough.

I guess my point is why this hate for Sony about things that we have no *facts* about? If it was 2 hours and $400, bitch away. But you don't know, so your bile should at least be tempered a little.

bionic77

For all the people who are big supporters of the DS or PSP, when and where do you plan on playing them? I admit I do play my GBA a ton, but it is always done on my couch and the only reason I ever play my GBA is it is the only platform that still makes 2D games. I mean personally I drive everywhere so I am not going to use a portable in that sense. And I don't go on a plane every week so that is a relatively rare occurance as well. The main reason I could care less about the PSP and DS is that I don't see myself ever needing a portable gaming device that are inferior to consoles I have today.

I guess if you commute these things would be huge, but this is America, we drive our giant SUV's everywhere so I wonder how many adults are going to buy these fancy schmancy handhelds?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
If they are going to limit what you can and can't do, why make the machine that powerful in the first place? Why not get a good balance of power/battery life in the first place instead of this "its not our problem,developers can deal with it" attitude ?

If the problem is UMD, and given the rumour (i know, i know...) movies run the machine dry in 2 hours, then why bother with it in the first place? Just stick everything on memory stick (like the demo units that weren't attached to the walls at TGS...)

it's sounding more like Kutaragi designed some monster machine, was pleased with it, but somehow totally forgot that they have to power the friggin thing...

OR

they are going to plan a PSP SP which has the battery life to support the machine a year or so down the line, meaning all the early adoptors get burninated.

El Papa

DCharlie said:
they are going to plan a PSP SP which has the battery life to support the machine a year or so down the line, meaning all the early adoptors get burninated.
trogdor.JPG

:lol TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOR!!!!

Drek

If they are going to limit what you can and can't do, why make the machine that powerful in the first place? Why not get a good balance of power/battery life in the first place instead of this "its not our problem,developers can deal with it" attitude ?
Aren't they effectively limiting what the machine can do anyways? The only difference is that now developers are given all this power, a power usage guideline, and the freedom to play around and try to find shortcuts on both ends. Similar to how Sony left the PS2 hardware fairly wide open and developers have since found ways to get anti-aliasing, DTS 5.1 in game sound, etc. running on it with only minor hardware usage.

Its fine by me for Sony to view battery life as a content issue. I'm just going to have a problem when they inevitably start blocking games from smaller devs that disobey the battery threshold by a little, while greenlighting big studio projects that cross the same boundaries by a lot more. If they surprise me and are super cool about that, then fine, I'm all for them making sure that devs stay within certain battery life ranges.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Aren't they effectively limiting what the machine can do anyways? The only difference is that now developers are given all this power, a power usage guideline, and the freedom to play around and try to find shortcuts on both ends. Similar to how Sony left the PS2 hardware fairly wide open and developers have since found ways to get anti-aliasing, DTS 5.1 in game sound, etc. running on it with only minor hardware usage."

well, not really - the difference now is that they are saying you cannot go above a certain power consumption for games. So, although the machine is capable of pulling off so much more, the battery life constraint is going to act as a block on that. So, if they had this in mind from the off, then surely it would have made more sense to make a slightly less powerful machine with better battery life all round and, hell, get the suggested price down from whatever it is (250? 300? 350?), allowing them to compete better with Nintendo , but still have the tech edge.

GDGF

Soothsayer
DCharlie said:
...surely it would have made more sense to make a slightly less powerful machine with better battery life all round and, hell, get the suggested price down from whatever it is (250? 300? 350?), allowing them to compete better with Nintendo , but still have the tech edge.

I've been saying this since jump, too. I deserve a cookie. A Yoshi's cookie.

Top Bottom