• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

This probably is the perfect result from a Google search:

bildschirmfoto2015-058xuba.png

If Brad's going to go after anything achievement/trophy related it needs to be that last Geometry Wars achievement.

I'm still waiting for his Dying Light review. I need to know how much of a 4 star game it is. Like a super duper 4 star game or an alright 4 star game?

Did Brad ever actually say he was going to do a review?

Foo Fighters are an important band, just because they helped so much teenagers (like me) get into rock. I don't REALLY care for them nowadays, although Colour and the Shape is still fantastic, but I value their presence in my musical awakening or whatever.

Myggen

I mean, he's gotta review something this year right?

crap, the last retail game brad reviewed was Sunset Overdrive. The last game overall was Geowars 3. I dunno about this guy, he seems to be slacking

They all review less and less games. Don't think Brad was ever supposed to review Dying Light.

They all review less and less games. Don't think Brad was ever supposed to review Dying Light.

Reviews are irrelevant in the age of Quick Looks, honestly. I don't need someone to tell me if a game is cool anyone in a thousand words when I can just watch it being played and tell almost immediately if I'd get real enjoyment out of it.

So would the new Breaking Bad be watching him knock out a review, then? :p

With Rorie passive aggressively critiquing his writing the whole time.

On the point of reviews I really liked Jeff's idea of doing a podcast or video discussion instead of a written review. Kinda what Justin McErloy is doing with Quality Control at Polygon

Myggen

Reviews are irrelevant in the age of Quick Looks, honestly. I don't need someone to tell me if a game is cool anyone in a thousand words when I can just watch it being played and tell almost immediately if I'd get real enjoyment out of it.

Jeff has pretty much said as much. It seems like the only reason they still review some games is that some of the editors like to write reviews (Alex, Dan and Jeff mainly, I'm guessing), it's important to review some games to be on Metacritic and get early copies from publishers, and reviews of big games still gives them a lot of traffic. But nevertheless, they're moving more and more away from reviewing games (which I'm totally fine with).

Myggen

Quick looks would be a viable replacement for reviews if they were even somewhat informed. Jussayin

I think what most people are looking for is for the game to be played for 30+ minutes. First impressions will of course be less informative than videos of games one of the crew has played a lot before Quick Looking, but that's how it's always been. I'm not taking a GB Cricket game QL as a good indicator of the quality of the game itself. QLs are obviously not reflective of the whole game and will never be able to replace reviews as criticism of the whole game, but it's good enough most of the time for me at least.

tchocky

Quick looks would be a viable replacement for reviews if they were even somewhat informed. Jussayin

I feel I can watch a GBeast QL and come away informed about what the game is, how it plays and it's overall quality. With GBWest I just hope it's an entertaining video.

What I would like to see from GB is a semi-regular spoilercast podcast/video so they can talk in depth about a games end game /plot without having to worry about spoiling it for bombcast listeners the only time we really get that is during GOTY. I think Witcher 3 would be a perfect game for this going by the QL and since most of the crew seems to be playing it. I did like when Alex tried to do this with the TV style recaps of Telltales Walking Dead.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think what most people are looking for is for the game to be played for 30+ minutes. First impressions will of course be less informative than videos of games one of the crew has played a lot before Quick Looking, but that's how it's always been. I'm not taking a GB Cricket game QL as a good indicator of the quality of the game itself. QLs are obviously not reflective of the whole game and will never be able to replace reviews as criticism of the whole game, but it's good enough most of the time for me at least.
You have two people in on a quick look so you can still have first impressions from one side while the one playing has a better idea of what the game is like. And I'm not saying 'oh they've played it and finished it,' more just that they've played it for 3 or 4 hours and have a handle on the controls and can answer more basic stuff and that helps with the uninformed person acting as the viewer.

I feel I can watch a GBeast QL and come away informed about what the game is, how it plays and it's overall quality. With GBWest I just hope it's an entertaining video.

That's because Alex is a good prepared video man.

here's the one argument i can make about reviews being a good thing: With reviews, the reviewer SHOULD (i know they don't always) finish the game. When the staff plays games for Ouick Looks only, they run the risk of only getting a superficial look at the game. Perhaps the game has more to it with a bit more time invested. Or, maybe it ends up being a broken and poorly designed piece of crap after 5-6 hours or so. Regardless, since they're reviewing the game they'll keep pushing till they see the credits.

As an example, Brad's continuing to persist and play Sunset Overdrive led him to develop an appreciation for the game that, if he only had to play it for an hour before a QL, he might not have had for the game once he was done with the recording of the video. And those impressions bleed into their podcasts and other features as well.

So yeah.

tchocky

here's the one argument i can make about reviews being a good thing: With reviews, the reviewer SHOULD (i know they don't always) finish the game. When the staff plays games for Ouick Looks only, they run the risk of only getting a superficial look at the game. Perhaps the game has more to it with a bit more time invested. Or, maybe it ends up being a broken and poorly designed piece of crap after 5-6 hours or so. Regardless, since they're reviewing the game they'll keep pushing till they see the credits.

As an example, Brad's continuing to persist and play Sunset Overdrive led him to develop an appreciation for the game that, if he only had to play it for an hour before a QL, he might not have had for the game once he was done with the recording of the video. And those impressions bleed into their podcasts and other features as well.

So yeah.

I think a great example of this is the Arkham Asylum QL where if memory serves me correct Brad does not seem that impressed and says the game and combat seem just ok.

Myggen

Tried watching the Matrix Online feature Vinny/Ryan did again now, and I just can't get into it. That series seems really beloved around here, but I just find it boring. Feels like I'm missing out here!

Tried watching the Matrix Online feature Vinny/Ryan did again now, and I just can't get into it. That series seems really beloved around here, but I just find it boring. Feels like I'm missing out here!

I only really love that first episode where they're creating their character and jumping into the world. the rest I could leave.

tchocky

Dan Ryckert ‏@DanRyckert 37s37 seconds ago
The guest for our tenth episode of Danswers is none other than @PaulRyckert. Send your questions for him to askdanswers@gmail.com.

Dan Ryckert ‏@DanRyckert 10s11 seconds ago
Some context: @PaulRyckert is 52, from Kansas, he's been divorced 38 times, he works at the post office, and I'm his son. Ask him anything.

I don't think I really want Giant Bomb reviews anyway, I would rather they all talk about their opinions on games on the bombcast, UPF and other videos than just have one of their opinions on a game.

The guest for our tenth episode of Danswers is none other than @PaulRyckert. Send your questions for him to askdanswers@gmail.com.

Some context: @PaulRyckert is 52, from Kansas, he's been divorced 38 times, he works at the post office, and I'm his son. Ask him anything.

YESSSSSS

should be hilarious

Welp, real glad I have this premium thing still. Everything Paul touches is gold.

It'll make me listen to Danswers!

Anjin M

As much as I like Paul, I'm still not going back to that podcast.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I don't even really watch quicklooks anymore. I watch all the gbeast ones, or at least I watch enough of each one to know if I want to watch the whole thing, but the west ones aren't doing much for me.

Zaph

And it's via Skype, which means Dan convinced his dad it isn't a virus. Hopefully this'll lead to more absolute nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom