• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
so could I just mainline all the story missions in MGS5?

I dont give a shit about the side stuff.

In addition to the other replies, if you neglect Mother Base or recruiting soldiers completely, you can also find yourself needing certain weapons in certain situations and having to go grind GMP/levels to be able to afford like for example, a rocket launcher, if you haven't started developing it yet or don't have the R+D level necessary to build one.

I'm cool with a separate community thread for the MGScanlon series if people feel the MGS talk is overwhelming this thread. When I'm joining in the MGS discussions in this thread, I do feel bad for the people sick of hearing about it but I'd like to discuss it in the context of this series and with this community.

Edit:

On a side note, does anyone else have a tendency to miss suffixes when typing out a post? I feel like my brain must be broken when I reread my posts since I do it so often. Also forgetting the word not, causing my posts to say the exact opposite of what I meant.

This thread is as lively as it has been in some time thanks in part to mgscanlon and the release of TPP.

We used to have separate threads back in the day: one for general community discussions and one for quick looks. This led to fractured discussions and eventually the quick look thread just died because it didn't make sense to have the community divided like that.

We could try splitting the thread up but i get the sense that it wouldn't work out all that well. And if you're a fan of giant bomb selling premium members then having a thread full of mgscanlon talk split from where newer members to the site would likely show up (in the general community thread) and avoiding the hype of their main premium video programming seems like it wouldn't be helpful to that end.

Myggen

I'm not even sure how we've gotten away with separate podcast threads to be honest.

Popular content that can lead to okay discussions can get its own thread on GAF. The Gametrailers thread is now trying out dedicated threads for the GT podcast for example. The Super Best Friends thread wasn't allowed to make dedicated threads for that podcast, but that was probably because that community was an absolute shit show at the time.

Plus the podcasts don't really stay focused on the game stuff all the time for SBF if there isn't a good discussion to be had between them. The last couple have been really heavily focused on their own lives, and while I personally don't mind because I still get to listen to the chucklefucks talk, it could be hard for people who want to hear their takes on gaming news. Plus we're all lazy and could never do a thread a week.

Patryn

I (regrettably) have to agree that splitting MGScanlon talk into another thread is probably not the best idea.

I suppose my bigger issue is the massive amount of talk simply about MGSV outside the context of GB content, but that'll fade away (eventually) so I can just suck it up.

I just couldn't help but take a cheap shot at how this particular thread (16) feels like it's almost 60-70 percent MGS talk.

FStop7

Banned
MG Scanlon is going to be going on for months. Honestly, anything that's shown in an episode should be fair game for open discussion in this thread. Otherwise this thread's going to be a trainwreck.

Myggen

Plus the podcasts don't really stay focused on the game stuff all the time for SBF if there isn't a good discussion to be had between them. The last couple have been really heavily focused on their own lives, and while I personally don't mind because I still get to listen to the chucklefucks talk, it could be hard for people who want to hear their takes on gaming news. Plus we're all lazy and could never do a thread a week.

I wouldn't say that all Bombcasts or Beastcasts are that focussed on games either! :) my main problem with the SBF podcast when I listened to it was the awful sound quality. I guess GB has spoiled me in that regard.

MG Scanlon is going to be going on for months. Honestly, anything that's shown in an episode should be fair game for open discussion in this thread. Otherwise this thread's going to be a trainwreck.

I think everyone agrees with you there, the issue is spoilers for future stuff. But as long as people use spoiler tags and don't totally derail the thread with discussions about the ending for the 100th time it's all good.

I just couldn't help but take a cheap shot at how this particular thread (16) feels like it's almost 60-70 percent MGS talk.

For the record, searching "metal gear" as a specific mention in this thread results in 569 posts. It's likely there are more that don't have "metal gear" spelled out in them. So roughly 5% to 16% of this topic has been metal gear depending on how wide you want to make your margin of assumption.

Likely it feels that way because it's all front loaded as of late. I'm sure your feeling it accurate if we were to narrow the posting range down to the last few pages.

I wouldn't say that all Bombcasts or Beastcasts are that focussed on games either! :) my main problem with the SBF podcast when I listened to it was the awful sound quality. I guess GB has spoiled me in that regard.

Totally, and that's just something I deal with because I enjoy them that much. The reality is that they're never going to have a studio set up like GB, and a Yeti mic in a relatively echoless room is the best it's gonna be.

Scizzy

With the Snakecast out of the way and Drew getting into the less story-driven parts of the game, I expect there to be a lot less MGSV talk here. Especially once more games start coming out.

Other than him being somewhat disingenuous in tone (lobbing all reviewers together in the Bootcamp situation), I'm still working through that spoiler-filled review.

Drew's observations and speculation in this first episode are almost identical to mine. Watching it again after playing through the first chapter (assuming chapter 2 begins after starting the first African mission like I suspect), there's some stuff I can't believe I missed. (MGS V Chapter 1 spoilers)
That was totally Quiet trying to kill you at the beginning.

Edit: Holy crap
an S
rank? Drew's already much better at this game than I am.
All those headshots
were nuts.

FStop7

Banned
Drew's observations and speculation in this first episode are almost identical to mine. Watching it again after playing through the first chapter (assuming chapter 2 begins after starting the first African mission like I suspect), there's some stuff I can't believe I missed. (MGS V Chapter 1 spoilers)

Edit: Holy crap
an S
rank? Drew's already much better at this game than I am.
All those headshots
were nuts.

The aim assist and hitboxes are both pretty generous. I regularly torture my own troops on Mother Base by tranquilizing them from a moving helicopter.

The aim assist and hitboxes are both pretty generous. I regularly torture my own troops on Mother Base by tranquilizing them from a moving helicopter.

gotta do something to make them less tedious. I actually got a game over tranq'ing a guy from the helicopter, he fell off a ledge to his death

oops

ratcliffja,

were you on a blackout from MGSV media before the game came out for you not to notice that that was
quiet

i mean because no hyperbole it's literally as in your face about that as it can be

Yeah well I got spotted like crazy in that prologue and got essentially no headshots. I think I got something like a C ranking. I've only gotten one S rank so far and maybe 2 A ranks. Going for a no-kill run (after the prologue) makes it a bit harder, though.

Edit: I only watched the trailers in the MGScanlon supplemental. I didn't really care much about the game until very recently, but now I'm SO glad I got it. It's incredible.

Second Edit: HUGE SPOILERS if true -
I've been thinking for a while that you're playing as a Big Boss clone. I'm wondering if you're actually playing as a sped-up-age Solid Snake, which might explain the situation in MGS4

santeesioux

I know a guy that worked on MGSV through Twitch and he has assured everyone the only thing cut from the game was
the mission 51 that Jeff mentioned on the spoilercast.

I know a guy that worked on MGSV through Twitch and he has assured everyone the only thing cut from the game was

NO. SHUT UP.

WE ALL KNOW KOJIMA NEVER WOULD HAVE MADE A STORY LIKE THAT UNLESS KONAMI FORCED HIM TO MAKE IT BAD BECAUSE THEY DON'T RESPECT HIS ART AND MADE HIM RELEASE IT LIKE THIS AND THIS IS NOT THE LAST METAL GEAR GAME THERE IS A WHOLE DIFFERENT ONE INSIDE THE CODE IN THE PC VERSION WHERE EVERYTHING IS AMAZING AND ISN'T DUMB AND ohgodpleasenotlikethis

tuxfool

Banned
Other than him being somewhat disingenuous in tone (lobbing all reviewers together in the Bootcamp situation), I'm still working through that spoiler-filled review.

He corrects that later. And the review section of the video itself is absolutely correct that nearly no reviewers highlighted the issues the game itself has.

jaina

25 minutes left in MGScanlon V Ep. 1 and I really really want to continue playing myself. But Drew's thoughts are so interesting...

But why would chapter 2 be called Race and have nothing got to do with race as well as have a bunch of repeat missions? Why would a game even be divided into just 2 chapters? I don't really care about what was cut,
I wouldn't even care about seeing mission 51 because the story was so uninteresting up to that point, I couldn't bring myself to care about that stuff
. Everything is clearly so haphazard and it's weird that people are denying that it isn't. At this point, I'm more willing to blame Kojima for being incompetent than Konami having stuff cut though.

He corrects that later. And the review section of the video itself is absolutely correct that nearly no reviewers highlighted the issues the game itself has.

He specifically mentioned the Jimquisition review in his video in the same breath as the Konami Boot Camp event. Jim has been banned from all Konami events and prerelease copies for years now.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
He specifically mentioned the Jimquisition review in his video in the same breath as the Konami Boot Camp event. Jim has been banned from all Konami events and prerelease copies for years now.

He specifically mentioned that the Jimquisition review wasn't the result of the review event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom