• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

Agree with the Beastcast (and I think Jeff on the Bombcast) that David Cage trying to tell the story it looks like he's trying to tell could be a hot mess.

TraBuch

Banned
Agree with the Beastcast (and I think Jeff on the Bombcast) that David Cage trying to tell the story it looks like he's trying to tell could be a hot mess.
Luckily, he actually brought in multiple people to help him with the writing and directing.

Quantic Dream games would be so much better if they didnt get all silly during the last act.

Except Beyond. Beyond seemed to get alot crazier a lot earlier and from what I hear it stayed on the crazy train.

But I hope whoever came up with the "perfect cime" trophy in heavy rain got a raise. That was creative. It basically got you to play the game a completely different way.
So when you played as the killer you had to work against everyone else and make decisions that would do things like destroy deviance, get people killed on purpose etc...

At least with Detroit he cant add a bunch of super natural stuff as a twist. Robots are already out there enough. Right? RIGHT? Are we going to get magic robots?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I'm still waiting for that heavy rain dlc.

I think it was during the MGS V spoilercast when Jeff brought up that Friday I'm in Love came out after 1984

Ah yeah that must have been it.

hamchan

They should get David Cage to write the first 3/4 of games and then get someone else to write the ending before it devolves into alien/Mayan prophecy/end of the world bullshit like it always does.

They should get David Cage to write the first 3/4 of games and then get someone else to write the ending before it devolves into alien/Mayan prophecy/end of the world bullshit like it always does.

I feel like dumb bullshit happens 30% into Indigo Prophecy.
Giant flea office attack is really early on.

Now that I think about it. Heavy Rain had a quarter of its story cut near the end of development and they never bothered to patch the plot hole it left.

So David Cage has beat Kojima to the punch by about 6 years.

danm999

It's a problem with games writing in general that a lot of the time writers cannot conceive of more interesting stakes than the end of the world. Movies too.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Kinda why I like the atelier games a lot. You're just a girl trying to make her way as an alchemist in the world. Or find your mother. Or rebuild your kingdom as a princess.

Zaph

It's a problem with games writing in general that a lot of the time writers cannot conceive of more interesting stakes than the end of the world. Movies too.

They can, but the limitations of video games (structure, production and interactivity) causes a lot of missing subtleties which you otherwise take for granted in other mediums, so a sledgehammer approach to storytelling is instead favoured.

It's why the lower-budget/smaller games often have a more effective story, they bake the whole thing into text and then let your imagination do the heavy lifting (which is really just emulating other mediums, so consequently acts as an unfortunate reminder how far video games still have left to go).

danm999

They can, but the limitations of video games (structure, production and interactivity) causes a lot of missing subtleties which you otherwise take for granted in other mediums, so a sledgehammer approach to storytelling is instead favoured.

It's why the lower-budget/smaller games often have a more effective story, they bake the whole thing into text and then let your imagination do the heavy lifting (which is really just emulating other mediums, so consequently acts as an unfortunate reminder how far video games still have left to go).

Yeah I suppose when the medium is interactive you cannot take for granted people are consuming it in a way that allows subtlety to come across. But then it does remind me of what Blow said in that interview with Austin and Jeff that lots of video games are going through the motions like movies.

The end of the world. A prophecy. A hero etc etc.

I was just thinking on this because some of my favourite games stories do not have these things, or subvert these things. It's kind of why I tend to like Obsidian stories for example; they rarely use an end of the world thing and tend to go for more personal stakes in their stories. But that means you need to give a shit about the characters I suppose and games are pretty bad at that too.

Let's go even way back where Jeff fell and never came back up. I love this comment.

"This is the part we're going to flash back to when it turns out at the end of the movie that Jeff actually died in that fall and the whole of reality has just been his feverish last few moments"

I'm picturing more of a St. Elsewhere ending where it was all in a snow globe. That seems like the right dumb insanity to me.

HYPE AS HELL PROMO VIDEO FROM YA BOY HAMST3R

Giant Bomb forum threads for each year we've taken part:

2010 = $? raised
2011 = $1,859.62 raised
2012 = $27,601.44 raised
2013 = $122,680 raised
2014 = $200,806 raised
2015 = $24,875 raised so far!

The Giant Bomb team page on Extra Life, where you can very kindly donate to help sick kids have fun! Or, here's my link that'll still count towards the GB team total, and every donation will net you a free video game for your trouble!

Remember...
  1. The ONLY place to be = explosiveruns.com! (originally planned and created by me, with GB mod Chaser324 having created the current version)
  2. The ONLY stuff to tweet = #GBXL, #ExtraLife and #ForTheKids!
  3. The ONLY thing to do = Be Really Cool!

Luckily, he actually brought in multiple people to help him with the writing and directing.

Is that a good thing? The best part about David Cage games are how exceptionally terrible they devolve into at certain points. A mediocre or even an ok story would make his games even more of a chore to go through than they usually are.

Myggen

HYPE AS HELL PROMO VIDEO FROM YA BOY HAMST3R

Giant Bomb forum threads for each year we've taken part:

2011 = $1,859.62 raised
2012 = $27,601.44 raised
2013 = $122,680 raised
2014 = $200,806 raised
2015 = $15,380 raised so far!

The Giant Bomb team page on Extra Life, where you can very kindly donate to help sick kids have fun!

Remember...
  1. The ONLY place to be = explosiveruns.com!
  2. The ONLY stuff to tweet = #GBXL, #ExtraLife and #ForTheKids!
  3. The ONLY thing to do = Be Really Cool!

Woo! Let's hope they announce some plans on the Bombcast or something. Going by what Jeff said at the end of UPF it seemed like some of their plans were still up in the air. Hopefully they do stuff on the set, I'm not a fan of Dan's initial plan of doing a solo stream (that was probably before they formally started planning stuff though).

Some of my favorite content was the MMO shutdown videos.

Sadly they wouldn't be the same without Ryan.

Technically not a MMO shutdown video, but the Playstation Home video they did this year was great.

Myggen

Sorry for being a dumb new GB fan, but when do the Extra Life streams usually start? I only know that it happens before American Thanksgiving

The official day is on November 7. When they start depends on what kind of schedule they're going for. If it's over two days it'll probably start on Friday or Saturday, if it's three days it'll start on Thursday or Friday. We'll know for sure soon.

edit: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/quantum-air-force-gator/336675/

danm999

Hopefully they do stuff on the set, I'm not a fan of Dan's initial plan of doing a solo stream (that was probably before they formally started planning stuff though).

Yup, I wanna see the interaction, the breakdown and tiredness and the minds slowly being lost.

Make them do Mario Party Party 6 in the middle of it!

Anjin M

I loved the Olympics video.

I'm most a fan of GB playing old, obscure, bad games.
Same. I loved Ryan getting into those old games. It even convinced me to pick up the latest winter and summer games. Sadly, I suspect they will be the last ever produced.

Lelcar

I predict Mario Party Party 6 will be an early 2016 thing, maybe even as early as one of the first big features they do after returning from christmas vacation. I also predict that there will be a site redesign (also possibly a logo redesign) some time in 2016 for Giant Bomb. I feel like Jeff and the staff are coming close to a boiling point for wanting a complete site renovation.

Looks like the skeptics were right; no good can come from anime.

Crunchyroll was breached - claims of passwords stored as MD5, change them

So there is still evil in the world.

I knew anime was trouble

I predict Mario Party Party 6 will be an early 2016 thing, maybe even as early as one of the first big features they do after returning from christmas vacation. I also predict that there will be a site redesign (also possibly a logo redesign) some time in 2016 for Giant Bomb. I feel like Jeff and the staff are coming close to a boiling point for wanting a complete site renovation.

Mario Party Party should just be a PAX thing now since a live audience does a lot for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom