• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brashnir

Fantasy warhammer is also cool. I think it's actually more cool in the video game department because there's way less of it.

Blood Bowl was cool, but super hard to get into and not a very good single player experience.

Blood Bowl is awesome, but it's only tangentially Warhammer-related.

It's a shame the new one looks like a stripped-down mess.

Ketch

Blood Bowl is awesome, but it's only tangentially Warhammer-related.

It's a shame the new one looks like a stripped-down mess.

yea. it's just the kind of game where you really need to be deep into an online community to get the fun out of it.

it's fun on your own, but it's the same kind of fun as solving a hard math problem.

I wish they would do a 1:1 of the table top game... but then I guess they'd lose a lot of table top customers if they did it that way.

Tubobutts

It seems weird to me that they finally decide to make two Warhammer Fantasy games right as they were ending it. Neither of which take place in the new rebranded dumbness.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
so did gamesworkship kill fantasy warhammer? like for real?

From what I understand based on next to no research, it was like a DC comics style "FUCK IT, NEW UNIVERSE" event combined with a significant change of the game rules themselves.

yea. it's just the kind of game where you really need to be deep into an online community to get the fun out of it.

it's fun on your own, but it's the same kind of fun as solving a hard math problem.

I wish they would do a 1:1 of the table top game... but then I guess they'd lose a lot of table top customers if they did it that way.

I imagine a significant portion of the tabletop customers are in it because of the physical figures themselves.

danm999

I was pretty into 40k when I was a kid and I only played 2-3 real games, it was mostly collecting and painting them that was fun to me.

Ketch

I imagine a significant portion of the tabletop customers are in it because of the physical figures themselves.

yea that's what I figured too.... I was just presuming out loud that they never did (or probably dont want to do) a 1:1 table top to video game translation because they might lose some of that sweet pewter statue money you know?

I think it's dumb if that's their reason, but it might be their reason... either that or they're just bad a managing their market.

If I'm games workshop here's what I'd do:

F2P warhammer (either fantasy or 40k) video game with starter armies and limited customization options unlocked from the get go. Then you just copy hearthstone but instead of gold and cardpacks it's blood for the blood god and single figures that are doled out blind box style. Release new maps and races occasionally as expansion packs. print money, get rich, buy blizzard, and then the next xpac to wow is the one were the Ultramarines show up and murder everything.

Tubobutts

so did gamesworkship kill fantasy warhammer? like for real?

Basically. All the old stuff in terms of lore and world building is gone and they rebooted it as Age of Sigmar to make it more like 40k.

I can't speak to the rule changes cause the stuff that interests me in Warhammer Fantasy were the world and painting the models. One of the things that I liked about Fantasy was that since it was a much smaller scale than 40k they could get into a lot of low level detail, especially in the RPGs.

I think it's dumb if that's their reason, but it might be their reason... either that or they're just bad a managing their market.

I think Games Workshop has a pretty bad reputation in terms of their ability to manage their market.

The forth game is, Star Wars Conquest(Mount & Blade - Mod). I'm going to bed now since I got work to do :( so I hope someone else keeps following the games. As for time stamps it's unknown now but I'd say a solid 1.5 - 2 hours for each game sounds about right.

At 10,000$ he'll show his entire list and let the chat vote on what to play next.

The games so far are:

1) Galak-Z
2) Invisible Inc.
3) Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide
4) Star Wars Conquest(Mount & Blade - Mod)

I have found Rorie's doppelganger in a GE commerical:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpDIEJrog3s

Lmao, he's also the dude on the Contra boxart.

4waQlJw.png

Black Ops 3 (Out of Five)

P63GZF9.png

I know zombies is super popular but that mode is so damn boring. My friend brings it over to play and I just end up getting killed intentionally cause I just want it to stop. I do think the crazy shit you have to do to get all the crazy easter eggs is super dumb in a good way.

The reviews are average. Almost universally a 7 from what I've seen from other sites. I was considering getting it next week at Target with Fallout 4 during the B2G1 sale, but now I might swap in something else for Call of Duty (plan on getting AC: Syndicate as my free game*). And aren't some people speculating that Fallout might not be all that great? I hope the review embargo embargo lifts soon, so I can know when to expect a review. A few games I'm considering now (if I don't get COD) are Transformers, Elder Scrolls Online, or MGSV (which, as I said yesterday, I probably won't do after spending so much time watching Metal Gear Scanlon).

*Unless the free game costs less than AC. Then AC would actually be COD's replacement.

Edit- The COD reviews seem better now. Mostly 8's and some 9's. As of right now, I'm leaning towards getting it.

Seems to be getting the standards 8s and such mostly. About what you'd expect a Call of Duty game to score.

Is a bit of a bummer to hear all of the mixed campaign impressions although some seem to like it more than others. Hopefully I don't regret getting it for that :p

Seems to be getting the standards 8s and such mostly. About what you'd expect a Call of Duty game to score.

Is a bit of a bummer to hear all of the mixed campaign impressions although some seem to like it more than others. Hopefully I don't regret getting it for that :p

I'm weird in that I prefer the campaign. COD MP is never fun for me. I used to be somewhat decent at 4, but I never feel the pull to put in the time to stay competitive. I felt so outclassed during the Black Ops III beta. Plus, I have always been more of a Battlefield MP type of player.

RE_Player

Interested to hear what Dan has to say about Black Ops 3. I don't expect the rest of the staff to even try it, they'll fall in line with Jeff's opinion on the game.

I don't find my Call of Duty tastes align with Jeff very often. He loved Advanced Warefare's campaign and I found it to be a step back from the Blops games in almost every way. We'll see soon enough.

Am incredibly bummed they abandoned the branching from the second game though. Was surprisingly subtle and interesting for a triple a game.

The lone stormtrooper actually defeated Austin's immortal army. Huh.

NinjaEdit: Ok I noticed the Extra Life thread, I'll stop cluttering this one.

Ketch

I think I've hit the event horizon for COD games... like I've been disinterested for a long time now, but it literally feels like the last call of duty came out 3 weeks ago.

hamchan

The reviews are average. Almost universally a 7 from what I've seen from other sites. I was considering getting it next week at Target with Fallout 4 during the B2G1 sale, but now I might swap in something else for Call of Duty (plan on getting AC: Syndicate as my free game*). And aren't some people speculating that Fallout might not be all that great? I hope the review embargo embargo lifts soon, so I can know when to expect a review. A few games I'm considering now (if I don't get COD) are Transformers, Elder Scrolls Online, or MGSV (which, as I said yesterday, I probably won't do after spending so much time watching Metal Gear Scanlon).

*Unless the free game costs less than AC. Then AC would actually be COD's replacement.

Edit- The COD reviews seem better now. Mostly 8's and some 9's. As of right now, I'm leaning towards getting it.

Yep, 85 metacritic right now from 29 reviews. Seems like it's well received. Higher than BLOPS2 and Advanced Warfare at this point.

I'm not a massive CoD guy but I like Treyarch's games a lot. World at War and Blops 1/2 did a lot of things to set themselves apart from other games in the series and Blops 2 in particular has the best use of a gameplay based story branching I've seen in a game. Shame that's gone in the third one.

What's Austin played so far? Been good?

So Austin's played;

1. Galak-Z
2. Invisible Inc.
3. Vermintide (with Vinny)
4. Star Wars Conquest (A Mount and Blade Mod)
5. Tales of the Borderlands.

If he reaches $10,000, he's going to show the list of what he is planning to play and let people vote.

Currently playing Ep.1 of Tales from the Borderlands.

He also played with some legos for a bit and showed us his coke mirror and comb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom