• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
P5IG0Vo.gif

Sakwoff

This sums up AoE Online quite well. It was just there, asked for by nobody, yet greenlit by somebody.

Free-to-play strategy games are just... not a good idea. There's no way to make them interesting without completely sabotaging the gameplay players expect.

That said, the gameplay of AoE Online was pretty spot-on AoE.

It just had a lot of MMO cruft around the edges. What with persistent experience across your profile, unlocks, cosmetics and stuff like that. The f2p system was actually kind of okay. It was more like a shareware model, where you could pay ~20 bucks once and get access to everything you'd want access to.

That said, playing the remasters of AoE2 or AoM that don't have said MMO cruft is definitely preferable.

I enjoyed the ~40 hours I had with Online though.

Scizzy

Jeff tells the story of playing Quake 1 with a mouse and keyboard over a cable modem against Dreamcast players who are stuck with a controller and a regular modem at least once a year. And every time I love the glee in his voice as he reminisces over mowing them down with no mercy.

jaina

Austin told us on the Spawn On Me podcast that every time they are about to record the Beastcast, someone has fucked the settings in the CBSi East podcast studio.
Now they're even breaking into their closet studio!

yami4ct

Has there been a game as grossly mismanaged and mismarketed as Mighty No 9? Holy shit that trailer is bad. Only worse trailer I've seen recently is that #FE trailer.

Was just checking GBEs mics on Amazon... and they are super experience.

I am just enjoying my Blue Yeti

My Blue Snowball recently failed catastrophically, and I'll probably replace it with a Yeti. Do you like yours?
I don't know why, but I love when Will tells stories. I always enjoy it on the Tested podcasts.
Far better than Norm, who gets sidetracked and then sidetracked from his sidetrack. The Tested podcast is not good anymore.

jaina

so this year they have enough budget for necessities like desk, mics and controllers. Imagine what stupid stuff they can get next year!

yami4ct

Yeah I think it's an office studio.

I think that TMS trailer was better, which I didn't expect to say.

The TMS at least kind of sort of understood what they were marketing. That Mighty No 9 trailer is such a mess.

That game legit could not be looking worse right now. The marketing isn't even making it appealing. Biggest delivered flop of a game KS so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom