• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still confused with the
alien spaceship appearance
. Was that a hallucination or did that happen?

Does the answer really make a difference? Either way, it serves as the cherry on top of the mountain of spontaneous, incredulous shit that happens in the show.

It happened, and I was initially kinda baffled but thematically it makes sense. From the premiere through the finale there was a strong current of dramatic irony, characters getting swept up in an ever-growing shitstorm of misunderstandings, lies, and chaotic absurdity. The
UFO
was simply that chaos given physical form.

I don't think it's supposed to matter because it's just a crazy bit of chaos like everything else in the series. Even if you want to analyze every bit if it you can say it's just filled in by the narrator as that's the only episode that has a narrator. He says not much is actually known so it can just be made up to add to the legand.

DamnBoxes

tLg2MI6.png

I can't listen because I'm at work but doesn't that just foreshadow his fight with Bear? Of course the encounter and most of the events be real, but I meant the part specifically could be just thrown in along with the other instances. "Why was standing in the middle of the road?" Who knows? Maybe it was a...

"I saw something that year I ain't ever seen, before or since" is kind of broad, but it's not a huge leap to assume it's what he's talking about.

"I saw something that year I ain't ever seen, before or since" is kind of broad, but it's not a huge leap to assume it's what he's talking about.

Yeah, I'm ok with it either way. My feeling is mostly that it just doesn't matter. The whole "True Story" is specifically for it to be as crazy as possible and people still think it's true so this just takes it 10 steps forward.

Jintor

Stellaris is addictive. Painfully so. Even though I just dropped like forty bucks on it I might have to put it away for a while since a whole lot of busy is coming my way real soon

Zaph

Listening to that Blank Check podcast has made me realized I saw every Shyamalan movie in the theater from Sixth Sense to The Happening. Hmmm

I have more time for Shyamalan than most, but The Happening is in the top 3 worst major releases I've ever seen. Fuck, that film is horrible. Each time I thought they were in on the joke, the film would follow-up with a sharp reminder they're playing it completely straight.

I have more time for Shyamalan than most, but The Happening is in the top 3 worst major releases I've ever seen. Fuck, that film is horrible. Each time I thought they were in on the joke, the film would follow-up with a sharp reminder they're playing it completely straight.

I feel pretty much the exact same way. I even have some love for The Village and Lady in the Water which people usually think are horrible. The Happening is where I finally gave up on Shamyalan. I haven't seen anything he's touched since.

That lion scene is pretty incredible.

Zaph

I feel pretty much the exact same way. I even have some love for The Village and Lady in the Water which people usually think are horrible. The Happening is where I finally gave up on Shamyalan. I haven't seen anything he's touched since.

I genuinely thought The Village was his best film (nudging just ahead of Signs). The twist was really obvious, but the great cast pulled it off anyway. Unbreakable and Sixth Sense were pretty good too. Didn't care for the rest.

I genuinely thought The Village was his best film (nudging just ahead of Signs). The twist was really obvious, but the great cast pulled it off anyway. Unbreakable and Sixth Sense were pretty good too. Didn't care for the rest.

His problem is largely that too much focus has been put on his twists. Twist aside, The Sixth Sense is pretty damn amazing, The Village has some amazing directing and atmosphere, Signs has suspense in fucking spades. There were always great things with his movies outside of the twists but they became what you remember. He played himself.

Bladelaw

His problem is largely that too much focus has been put on his twists. Twist aside, The Sixth Sense is pretty damn amazing, The Village has some amazing directing and atmosphere, Signs has suspense in fucking spades. There were always great things with his movies outside of the twists but they became what you remember. He played himself.

My biggest issue with his movies are the "twists". Signs:
aliens are killed by water. They decide to invade a planet where death literally rains down from the sky.
The setup is fantastic, the characters are believable and well developed, the sense of dread is very real, then the twist and it all turns to shit.

My biggest issue with his movies are the "twists". Signs:
aliens are killed by water. They decide to invade a planet where death literally rains down from the sky.
The setup is fantastic, the characters are believable and well developed, the sense of dread is very real, then the twist and it all turns to shit.

I agree with you about his insistence on twists, but re: Signs specifically, I think it was just a ̶s̶i̶g̶n̶ result of how desperate the aliens were for resources (they allude to that earlier with the book). It wasn't a full-fledged military invasion, just a desperate grab for a new planet.

TraBuch

Banned
There's no way of watching a livestream on my TV without just hooking up my PC directly to it, right? Roku app doesn't have premium livestreams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom