• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Soundstage looked rad.

I also was into that defense game in which you could build the robots. Seemed like it had more to it and it really had charm. The devs of that know what they are doing, because Jeff wanted to pet that thing immediately and of course it worked.

KingKong

Soundstage seriously makes me want a vive.

I think I'll commit to a vive 2 once I get a place that can actually accommodate one.

It's funny because it seems like the opposite of what you would want, doesn't it? You used to have do this stuff in real life but now with computers we can just click on things, so if anything it's making this task more difficult and physically involved. It's definitely very cool but I can't imagine someone making music actually using a VR app for it

Zaph

I think I'll commit to a vive 2 once I get a place that can actually accommodate one.

This is my problem. I don't want VR without touch/roomscale, but I did the measurements and it just isn't feasible in London unless I become a millionaire.

santeesioux

Anyone with a Roku having trouble trying to get the latest UPF to work? I checked all the other premium videos and they work fine.

Xater

This is my problem. I don't want VR without touch/roomscale, but I did the measurements and it just isn't feasible in London unless I become a millionaire.

I'm with you. VR without roomscale is significantly less cool to me. I have played VR stuff multiple times with a pad and while neat it always just felt like an enhanced 3D experience. With roomscale the immersion seems to improve significantly.

It seems crazy to me that none of them knew how to serve in ping pong. I don't play, but I've seen enough to know players bounce the ball on the table before serving it over.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's funny because it seems like the opposite of what you would want, doesn't it? You used to have do this stuff in real life but now with computers we can just click on things, so if anything it's making this task more difficult and physically involved. It's definitely very cool but I can't imagine someone making music actually using a VR app for it

Nah, it's not like all electronic stuff is based on an automatic software sequencer. People still use analog manipulators in order to control sound the way they want. A lot of people prefer to use an actual physical sequencer even.

Nah, it's not like all electronic stuff is based on an automatic software sequencer. People still use analog manipulators in order to control sound the way they want. A lot of people prefer to use an actual physical sequencer even.

Yeah, the more varied "physical" interfaces with the sounds the better. VR enables stuff not tenable in real like, like the XYZ-axis manipulator. Super awesome.

Yeah physical interfaces can be pretty cool. Of course one problem with current VR implementations is that you don't get actual physical feedback.

Antiwhippy

Yeah physical interfaces can be pretty cool. Of course one problem with current VR implementations is that you don't get actual physical feedback.

I feel like the vive controllers might be pretty good in that regards for some instruments. I mean, look at it this way. Barring the cost of entry for the vive, you get to pay $10 to play around with instruments and equipment that can run to the thousands of dollars. It's seriously really awesome.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I wonder if somebody will ever "solve" the movement problem with the Vive controllers or if all the games using them will be "You stand in place and some things happen around you"

Antiwhippy

I wonder if somebody will ever "solve" the movement problem with the Vive controllers or if all the games using them will be "You stand in place and some things happen around you"

Only if you're willing to invest in something like this I guess.

iMUIbuq.jpg

oti

Banned
Giant Bomb says: Pokémon GO isn't worth your time.
The rest of the wold says: POKÉMON GOOOOO!!!

lol, funny to see the difference there

Myggen

Not being at all interested in Pokemon has a lot to do with it. Dan and Drew seem to have started playing it.

I think the game itself is kind of poor, as it lacks all the things I want in a Pokemon game. But there is a very strong appeal in running around your area with an AR system.

If the servers could stabilize I would probably play it.

I think we should wait at least a month before calling it a success.

Even if it's just for a day, being top of the Top Grossing charts is pretty huge. I think it's worth pointing that out, while still noting that it has a long way to go before we can call it a long-term hit.

He's 100% right. I was super down on Go after hearing them talk about it on the podcast, as well as hearing negative impressions from Pokemon superfan Griffin McElroy, but the gameplay isn't what's special about Go. It's the social aspect that's awesome.

It's a special product, even though the actual game part isn't that great. Go is 100% worth your time.

Part of the problem is that the GB crew aren't 20-somethings that grew up with this stuff.

The amount of deep involved 2000 word articles about Pokemon Go is kind of crazy!

What I will say is that it seems to be grabbing the attention of people in my life who don't own consoles or haven't since they were young, that have a memory of Pokemon and that is cool.

PowerTaxi

Banned
He's 100% right. I was super down on Go after hearing them talk about it on the podcast, as well as hearing negative impressions from Pokemon superfan Griffin McElroy, but the gameplay isn't what's special about Go. It's the social aspect that's awesome.

It's a special product, even though the actual game part isn't that great. Go is 100% worth your time.

Part of the problem is that the GB crew aren't 20-somethings that grew up with this stuff.

The game had my 4 year old nephew check wardrobes because "pokemon are sneaky like that" so it is a win in my book.

Yeah, he nails what I'm thinking about it- as a game, it looks shoddy to broken, but as an experience it looks absolutely perfectly pitched- the right franchise, and the right communal experience.

It's absolutely a smart way to meaningfully bring Pokémon to the mobile platform, rather than dumping a rom and calling it a day.

I think Austin is kinda overstating some things. The server issues have gotten better with each day so it's just launch jitters, we know updates are coming, type advantages really ARE important in gym battles even if the battling action itself is pretty mindless; the actual gym stuff is based around the meta of prioritizing which gyms to take on, which friendly ones to invest in, which Pokemon you want to leave in them, the type spread you have when you want to take on a gym with the least amount of damage to you, etc. Then there's the crazy watching this stuff happen n real time aspect which creates another layer of tactics of luring you out to possibly meet other players as stuff is going down.

All of that is just as much the game design as mashing or holding the screen to attack.

For me, I always loved the idea of Ingress, but bounced off the gameplay and the presentation.

If Pokémon Go is Ingress with a more welcoming skin, slightly tweaked gameplay and a bazzillion people playing it, that's probably enough for me.

Hopefully I can experience it myself, as soon as the servers stop being on fire and Niantic deigns to bring it to iOS in Europe.

I think part of what changed my mind on Go is that I work in Manhattan. Like, I can't think of a better place to be to get the best experience. Literally every block has two or three pokestops, if not more. my friggin' office building itself is a pokestop.

I have about a 2 hour commute to work each way every day, and Go made me think for the first time "I should just go into the city today and walk around and catch pokemon"

Myggen

I just want to see if people can get as crazy with Pokemon Go as some of the Ingress stories. The length some people have gone to create insane portals in Ingress is fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom