• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Started watching the new Bombcast finally. Dan's should start getting into the dark world of cosplay because with his current beard, he's starting to looking like old-man Kratos.

Also

G3XuC9m.jpg

Jintor

If I was walking down a dark alley and Dan appeared at the other end with his current haircut I would run away.

but he'd open his mouth and be like "Hey you! You, guy! Hey, can you explain the theory of thermodynamics to me?" and then you'd give him a general answer but then he'd ask for a clarification you can't answer and then in your mortification you'd run away.

If anyone wants Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts(already own the game) then hit me up, got a code because I bought Recore from Amazon. It's also backwards compatible on Xbox One for anyone who is wondering.

oti

Banned
but he'd open his mouth and be like "Hey you! You, guy! Hey, can you explain the theory of thermodynamics to me?" and then you'd give him a general answer but then he'd ask for a clarification you can't answer and then in your mortification you'd run away.

Sounds like an episode of Rocko's Modern Life.

Meguro

Banned
Does disc 2 mean we're in forklift land now?
I don't know how much more of them just running around talking to people and waiting for time to pass I can take.

Was Jeff always like that, consoles don't matter, go PC attitude ?

I have both, but try to explain the simplest stuff to people who have no idea of PC's other than music, youtube and social media. It's a fucking hassle.

Patryn

I have both, but try to explain the simplest stuff to people who have no idea of PC's other than music, youtube and social media. It's a fucking hassle.

All of GB has been on the "PC is the way to go if you can" bandwagon for years now.

Basically since about halfway through last generation, when PC versions started regularly being superior to console. It's just ramped up this generation when for the first time ever PCs began already superior to console versions.

And I say this as a person who tends to prefer going console for its simplicity.

All of GB has been on the "PC is the way to go if you can" bandwagon for years now.

Basically since about halfway through last generation, when PC versions started regularly being superior to console. It's just ramped up this generation when for the first time ever PCs began already superior to console versions.

And I say this as a person who tends to prefer going console for its simplicity.

There is like no doubt that PC is the stronger hardware where games look and run the best, but he sometimes sounds like there is no place for consoles nowadays, and it looked like to me he was one of the people who predicted console's are going to die soon.

The PS4 to PS4 Pro, isn't that a normal GPU upgrade like on PC ? 7870 to a downclocked 480?

Also, the whole cast seems to not care for Japanese games on PS4, so I guess that's that.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They are also pretty casual PC users, but with much more expensive systems than most. They talk about $750 or whatever GTX 1080s like it's just what you get when you play on PC. They mostly use it to play better versions of console games and barely mod or play PC exclusvies. Unusual combination to be honest.
I'm a little tired of the whole conversation, it's been like that since mid last generation.

Watch some Shenmue 2 footage and I am disappointed that it seems like the voice acting got better.

I love bad 90s Japanese to English dubs. Bad dubs from the 00's and later just are not as good.

Zaph

so did they accidentally upload a premium demo derby for free on toytube?

They've been uploading samples of the different premium shows to youtube during the sale - something they should have been doing from the launch of premium imo
(now hopefully this will lead to more videos for actual members...)

derFeef

I fianally made a custom Twitter list with all the duders. It's kinda sad having to leave out Patrick, Austin and Co. Maybe I will add them regardless!

Lethal

Neo Member
Living in San Francisco all my life so far; the more I listen and watch Giant Bomb content, my opinion of San Francisco lessens and lessens as the days go by. Like shit, they're right about the city like most of the time.

They should just move the studio out to Petaluma. That's the center of the universe

Patryn

They should just move the studio out to Petaluma. That's the center of the universe

At the end of the last(?) Bombcast, when they were talking about cities they'd move to, it honestly sounded like at some point Jeff had considered having Giant Bomb in Chicago. I wonder if that was the early days?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I think in general the consoles are just becoming a customized PC. Jeff mentioned something along the lines of having a closed PC ecosystem from the console makers in his latest jar time. It seemed pretty obvious when MS first announced the Xbone. It seems Sony is following suit, albeit at a slower pace.

Strax

Yeah. 7 of my friends have PS4s and have owned consoles in the past but I can't imagine them ever playing on a PC. These are the people that buy FIFA/COD/GTA every single time a new one comes around. That's why I've never understood this talk about the console is gonna die after this generation.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yeah. 7 of my friends have PS4s and have owned consoles in the past but I can't imagine them ever playing on a PC. These are the people that buy FIFA/COD/GTA every single time a new one comes around. That's why I've never understood this talk about the console is gonna die after this generation.

Death is not likely. More that the lines between PC and console will blur. So console as you know it may "die" but in reality it just evolves with the demands of the market.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't believe it. The most succesful console this generation was the most classic-like of them all. Not too expensive, not too powerful, pretty much no gimmicks and we're at what now? 45 million sold?

Patryn

I still don't believe it. The most succesful console this generation was the most classic-like of them all. Not too expensive, not too powerful, pretty much no gimmicks and we're at what now? 45 million sold?

A lot of the problem is that there's a bit of an echo chamber amongst the industry in many ways. Looking at the release calendar, you get the sense that even game makers did not expect the current generation to take off the way it did. It was basically presumed knowledge that consoles were dying off, and so there weren't a ton of games in production for them.

I think it's tough for a lot of people to shake off the preconception.

Meguro

Banned
Yeah, I dunno.
This seems like a case of them not really understanding that not everyone that plays games is an enthusiast that listens to podcasts or whatever.

Thing is, I don't see any negative points in giving us options on the Pro. People who just want to disc in and play, won't have to bother with it anyway. I assume developers will put the option that they think is the best to default settings.

Edit: But whatever, their opinions might change when the thing is actually out.

The fact last gen went 4 years too long and got so stale is a big reason for the success of this gen I think.

We should be on PS5 now really.

Strax

Yeah, I dunno.
This seems like a case of them not really understanding that not everyone that plays games is an enthusiast that listens to podcasts or whatever.

Or the only download future. I mean Pat Baer said on the Beastcast that he can't watch live shows because of how bad his internet is and he lives New York City, if he doesn't have good internet in 2016 I doubt people in Huron, South Dakota will have great internet in the next 5 years.

yeah I mean you look at people like my coworkers/friends/people in my age group and the overwhelming majority of them who play games just buy a ps4 and 4-5 games a year and are totally happy with that. that's a huge, but quiet segment of the market. and maybe they don't drive a lot of game sales, but they do drive a lot of console sales. and I feel like that despite that install base, developers have no idea how to market to them.

oti

Banned
Yeah, I dunno.

To me it's just another example of them not understanding business. That's not their job so it's not their fault but in the end this whole video games thing is a business. They talk edge cases ("when I already bought a 1k TV why would I want a PS4 Pro") which is not something a business usually does. It's about marginal steps and trying to catch as many people as possible within your area of operation. The Pro in itself is Sony asking the question "hey, over the years you have gotten used to short update cycles for hardware even if you maybe aren't the person who gets a new iPhone every year, but how about an updated console, are you interested in that?". Way more people are interest in that compared to, let's say, "hey buy a 4K HDR 70" TV and here's your SLI GTX 1080 PS4 to go with it".

I mean the pro seems like a solution to games not running great on PS4 but you don't need to be a hardcore enthusiast to want your games to run well and you shouldn't have to buy a pc either, it all sucks.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's really not that bad, just because it starts at $399 and will only get cheaper.

I think the reaction to Scorpio is more important. Unless MS wants it to be cheap aswell.

I mean the pro seems like a solution to games not running great on PS4 but you don't need to be a hardcore enthusiast to want your games to run well and you shouldn't have to buy a pc either, it all sucks.

Ain't this the sad truth.

I moved to PC in 2010 when 360/PS3 were clearly struggling and the consoles have never recovered in terms of performance struggles really.

At least now I have paid the big lump sum up front it's just the odd upgrade here and there (though GPU prices are mental now).

danm999

Yeah they may be a tad out of touch with the COD/FIFA/Madden once a year crowd but I still think the underlying question of who the Pro is for has merit.

Yes if the Pro's main selling point ends up being the framerate isn't ass on this version that's really sad.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think if Sony would've just said "we let developers decide what to do with the power" it would've been a much better argument. Tomb Raider is straight up getting two new 1080p modes on the Pro.
You don't need 4K, HDR or even a new TV to enjoy that.

Top Bottom