• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

If you take SFV and NMS as early access sold in the guise of finished retail products, at least SFV's core mechanics are strong enough to be worth revisiting.

The thing is the core gameplay of SFV is still top notch and fun to play.

Meanwhile No Man's Sky is just plain boring and terrible, so it's much easier to throw that one under the bus for hottest mess.

That, basically.

Didn't Mighty Number 9 release this year? That deserves to be part of the conversation.

nXjaknI.png
please insert a vague silhouette spouting a fountain of blood in the background

this is great

The thing is the core gameplay of SFV is still top notch and fun to play.

Meanwhile No Man's Sky is just plain boring and terrible, so it's much easier to throw that one under the bus for hottest mess.

It's not though. No Man's Sky is a niche title that suffered from being hyped as the best game ever with an infinite feature set and being released at full price. If it wasn't put front and centre at Sony press conferences this gen (obviously to compensate for their meagre exclusive offerings), if the lead dev didn't flat out lie about features and if it was the price of Joe Danger it would have been received much better.

The core gameplay of SFV is fab but it lacks basic modes that have been in fighters since they were original developed, has inferior online features next to the original release of SFIV and whilst I have no issue with the business model the release dates and PR surrounding them have been shitty.

NMS issues are ones purely created by PR where as SFV's stem from incredible stupid design decisions.

It's not though. No Man's Sky is a niche title that suffered from being hyped as the best game ever with an infinite feature set and being released at full price. If it wasn't put front and centre at Sony press conferences this gen (obviously to compensate for their meagre exclusive offerings), if the lead dev didn't flat out lie about features and if it was the price of Joe Danger it would have been received much better.

The core gameplay of SFV is fab but it lacks basic modes that have been in fighters since they were original developed, has inferior online features next to the original release of SFIV and whilst I have no issue with the business model the release dates and PR surrounding them have been shitty.

NMS issues are ones purely created by PR where as SFV's stem from incredible stupid design decisions.

Also, they seemed to find some enjoyment in the game. It was a game they (Jeff in particular) kept going back to*. Perhaps it deserves its own category: Games That Inexplicably Keep Drawing Us In Despite Their Obvious Flaws and Drawbacks.

*It was a game that whenever it was on UPF, everyone seemed "into it" as in they were all taking part in discussing the game (the good and the bad). Whereas, other games they'll play, the discussion is often simply one sided (or there is not as much back and forth discussion).

Dineren

Banned
Gah damn Forza looks insane, performance issues are such a bummer. :(

Who here gonna get it on PC?

I was playing it on PC, but none of the DLC or VIP rewards were registering. It's kind of a bummer not playing at 60fps, but at least it still looks really nice on XB1.

It's great that switching between the two versions is so seamless.

I just spent the last two days playing Forza 6 Apex and really enjoyed it! I'm seriously debating picking it up. I had always thought I wasn't a sim racer guy, but I guess I'm just not a fan of PS2 era Gran Tourismo. The main thing holding me back is the cost I haven't dropped $60 on a game in a very long time and I don't think I can justify it here.

Lunar FC

I just spent the last two days playing Forza 6 Apex and really enjoyed it! I'm seriously debating picking it up. I had always thought I wasn't a sim racer guy, but I guess I'm just not a fan of PS2 era Gran Tourismo. The main thing holding me back is the cost I haven't dropped $60 on a game in a very long time and I don't think I can justify it here.

Didn't even know what Apex was until I looked it up just now.
Also, holy shit at how fast they put out Forza games.
I'm guessing you can pay to unlock the full game because I don't see it for sale.

I've been playing the latest NFS to tide me over until Horizon 3 comes out, so you know I'm desperate for a racing game rn.

Dineren

Banned
I'm guessing you can pay to unlock the full game because I don't see it for sale.

I've been playing the latest NFS to tide me over until Horizon 3 comes out, so you know I'm desperate for a racing game rn.

Unless I'm forgetting something, Apex is completely free. I think it was just their way of testing a Forza game on Windows.

Ah, so I guess he called Horizon 3 a sim racer which kind of threw me off.

Its completely free I guess you could pay to maybe unlock some stuff, but you shouldn't need to. Its kind of like demo of sorts I mean it has like only 50 cars and 10 track in it. I meant I was seriously debating picking up Horizon 3. Assuming Horizon 3 has the same driving model as Forza 6 I think it would be fair to still call it a sim. I don't know game genre names can get so muddy.

Lunar FC

Just learned that Horizon has multiple Fiat 500's/Abarths. Game is now a must buy, fuck yes.

They also have an Abarth 695 Biposto which is like unprotected sex on four wheels.

Was planning on picking up Horizon 3 as my first Forza game, but man that quick look kind of killed my hype. Looked oddly dull and lacking something...not sure what, but something felt off. Maybe it was just all the time Jeff spent in the menus and spinning sick brodies or maybe I'm just a weirdo, but I went from 85 Hype to 25 Hype really fast. The PC tech issues didn't really help its case either. :(

Megasoum

Banned
Was planning on picking up Horizon 3 as my first Forza game, but man that quick look kind of killed my hype. Looked oddly dull and lacking something...not sure what, but something felt off. Maybe it was just all the time Jeff spent in the menus and spinning sick brodies or maybe I'm just a weirdo, but I went from 85 Hype to 25 Hype really fast. The PC tech issues didn't really help its case either. :(

The game might not be for you and that's totally fine but I wouldn't use GB as a reference as far as PC Game performance/technical issues goes... They always have a ton of problems that most people don't have.

Incase you missed it, Drew's Bike MS Day 1 is complete!

Speaking of GOTY, what the fuck happened to this thread? We're swiftly approaching the final quarter of the year, and nary a post discussing what the list will look like. Last year was non-stop speculation from February onward.

Please don't kill me.

To be honest, still tons of big games coming. GOTY talk this year is going to be very exciting.

That second tweet, sending someone only a link with a non-.com top level domain is probably a quick way of getting blocked since it makes you look like a spammer.

Yeah, probably that?

I think they're pretty on par, this is going to be a hot debate

I would agree and while I haven't played SF5 yet(I maybe will at the end of the year when there are no more new games) atleast the base core of that game is sound and looks really satisfying.

please insert a vague silhouette spouting a fountain of blood in the background

Fantastic. Great work!

I'm getting it on Xbox One like most games since all of the people I know and play with are on consoles, generally speaking.

Aerocrane

The game might not be for you and that's totally fine but I wouldn't use GB as a reference as far as PC Game performance/technical issues goes... They always have a ton of problems that most people don't have.

In this case the game does have performance issues for others as well. The game seems to have trouble fully ultilizing CPUs. For some reason disabling hyperthreading on Intel i7 processors will give a slight performance boost.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Welp, just bought Tokyo mirage sessions.

Guess i have to buy a wii u now.

I've been buying a lot of atlus games recently for systems i don't own.

Welp, just bought Tokyo mirage sessions.

Guess i have to buy a wii u now.

I've been buying a lot of atlus games recently for systems i don't own.

It's a super fun game... Been playing/watching with my wife and I think we're nearing the end, I bet you'll enjoy it!

EDIT: The only bummer thing about the WiiU at this point is that Nintendo games don't go on sale like they should, so it's a bit harder to get to their awesome back catalog.

Antiwhippy

It's a super fun game... Been playing/watching with my wife and I think we're nearing the end, I bet you'll enjoy it!

EDIT: The only bummer thing about the WiiU at this point is that Nintendo games don't go on sale like they should, so it's a bit harder to get to their awesome back catalog.
Problem is that other than that, xenoblade and bayo 2 i can't think of anything else i want to play on it.

Problem is that other than that, xenoblade and bayo 2 i can't think of anything else i want to play on it.

I really enjoyed Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D world, Splatoon, and Bayonetta 2 (heard good things about DK tropical freeze) obviously GB liked Mario Maker but it wasn't my cup of tea, and people on here seem to enjoy Super Smash Bros...

I feel like i missed the boat on that though, especially seeing that it's multiplayer.

I'm not going to buy a wii u until the nx reveal anyway. Fingers crossed on bc but all signs point to it not having bc right?

With the crazy nature of this thing being portable/home console I'd imagine not... They have to cram a lot of stuff into the body and I have a feeling that adding the hardware to make BC possible isn't a top priority for a console that sold pretty poorly... But that's just my guess.

EDIT: If the hardware is similar enough then maybe... But I think it's a pretty minor upgrade in terms of power so emulation could be difficult. Especially if you have to have the portable part docked to play on the TV then I really don't know how they'd emulate the second screen on the WiiU

Antiwhippy

Yeah I guess'd as much. Ah well, I'd imagine that there would be quite a number of wii u on the 2nd hand market once the NX is shown.

The NX seems like everything I wanted though. So glad to have a high grade portable system going into the next gen.

Yeah I guess'd as much. Ah well, I'd imagine that there would be quite a number of wii u on the 2nd hand market once the NX is shown.

The NX seems like everything I wanted though. So glad to have a high grade portable system going into the next gen.

Agreed. I really hope Nintendo sticks the landing on this console... It's such a crazy concept, but if they get the price/marketing/messaging/games right then we could see one of the best selling Nintendo consoles of all time... But that's a lot of ifs

Antiwhippy

Because I'm not sure if it's a thing in australia, I haven't visited a library in years and I like to collect things?

Ashby

I just like bragging about how awesome my local library is and get tickled every time I look at their online catalogue and see that they have as obscure of a game as that available. Does Australia not have libraries?

Sakwoff

Could only play Doom on 50% resolution scaling with everything set to minimum at about 20-30fps. Looked like hot garbage and weirdly slow-mo.

Bought a 1060 last week, now I play on Ultra at around 70-90. My eyes are melting. God it looks so good.

Man, my old creaky GPU was indeed a serious bottleneck, huh.

(Doom is really good. Even on garbage mode. I'll be totally fine with it being GOTY.)

No Man's Sky was undoubtedly a Hot Mess, but it's one that the crew weren't enormously offended by. Street Fighter, on the other hand, is a Hot Mess that rolled out across months and months, with the Bombcast fixating on how shitty the situation was every time more content came out. They've definitely dwelled more on the SFV situation than the NMS one.

Most Disappointing will be a bit more of a knife fight, though.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think No Man's Sky is a hotter mess than SF5.
SF5 is a great game with a few stupid missteps. It might be fair to call it a hotter mess because it's a title that could appease a much larger audience if it included a few basic things e.g. put a decent tutorial and arcade mode in the game instead of a trash story mode. I don't think No Man's Sky is a huge mess outside of every element of the PR being a shit show.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282940
This might give SFV the edge. I love the game, have hundreds of hours played, but it is a total mess. Like...do you know any $60 game that put its storymode in 4 months after release? Or a fighting game that has no arcade mode? And the whole input lag problem and the unreliable servers...

How is Cliffy B doing these days? Lawbreakers kinda fell off the radar.
That game looks decent, I just think Overwatch took all attention away from it. Either they are waiting or it's just flying under the radar.

Could only play Doom on 50% resolution scaling with everything set to minimum at about 20-30fps. Looked like hot garbage and weirdly slow-mo.

Bought a 1060 last week, now I play on Ultra at around 70-90. My eyes are melting. God it looks so good.

(Doom is really good. Even on garbage mode. I'll be totally fine with it being GOTY.)

Don't tell me this! I also just bought a 1060 and have been eyeing DOOM as a good way to see what it can do... But I know if I buy it I'm going to start playing it immediately and I really need to finish playing Dragon Age Inquisition first.

No Man's Sky was undoubtedly a Hot Mess, but it's one that the crew weren't enormously offended by. Street Fighter, on the other hand, is a Hot Mess that rolled out across months and months, with the Bombcast fixating on how shitty the situation was every time more content came out. They've definitely dwelled more on the SFV situation than the NMS one.

Most Disappointing will be a bit more of a knife fight, though.

I think no Man's Sky should win Hottest Mess, but I'm pretty sure that SFV will win with the GB guys though.

I just bought a 1070 yesterday, had to reinstall Doom to see how it runs. 100+fps on max settings at 2560x1440. Feels pretty good coming from a 7950.

Meanwhile Mankind Divided doesn't even reach stable 60..

I did some digging and the digital version of the Ultimate version of Forza 6 has never seen a significant discount, so my desire to wait for a price drop was pointless.

The sections of the game Jeff showed weren't all that great based on the little I've played. He also sounds kind of tired of the formula as a first timer its been really neat.

Goes definitely not optimized well I get drops into the low 40s on medium settings. I have 6500k and 1070 assuming that's Xbox One quality visuals at medium that really doesn't seem right.

Why would you buy Tokyo Mirage Sessions when you can get it for free from your local library
A lot of libraries still don't have games and that paticualr game will probably cost an arm and a leg in the future.

What kind of toaster GPU did you have for it to struggle running DOOM? I gave it a go on 560ti out of morbid curiosity and even that ran in 25+ at 1920X1080. I admittedly didn't play a ton that way, but still game runs crazy well.

Sakwoff

What kind of toaster GPU did you have for it to struggle running DOOM? I gave it a go on 560ti out of morbid curiosity and even that ran in 25+ at 1920X1080. I admittedly didn't play a ton that way, but still game runs crazy well.

Had a Radeon HD 6870. It's about 7 years old and wasn't that hot at the time even. I've upgraded MoBo, CPU and RAM two years ago, but couldn't afford a new GPU at the time. So yeah, bit of a discrepancy there. :)

Downside is I might've locked myself into a weird offset hardware cycle now.

Parham

Banned
As much as I love Street Fighter V, it easily deserves the title of hottest mess. At least for now, No Man's Sky has the benefit of being a very concentrated mess that came and went in the four weeks following its launch. Not that the issues have been addressed, of course, but most people moved on pretty quickly. You can't say the same about SFV. Between the anemic launch content, DLC delays, rootkit, and server maintenance issues, SFV has been a recurring mess. The situation surrounding the Ibuki DLC even grew so dire that Capcom threw their own US subsidiary under the bus. Given the importance of SFV to Capcom, and how thoroughly they've botched the game's launch and post-launch support, I don't think NMS stacks up.

FStop7

Banned
I made an attempt to get back into Dragon Age: Inquisition after setting it aside for more than a year. I arrived in the Hinterlands, took one of the roads out of the camp, and got immediately murdered by a dragon. One shot.

Tried a different road out of camp and was greeted by a bunch of rogue mages and templars who were fighting each other but then immediately retargeted all of their aggro at me. Killed the mages but the templars had large shields that deflect magic and they tore my party up. I turned the game off.

Top Bottom