• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I still get tense just thinking about Green Room. Like the hair on the back of my neck stands up. That shit was so good.

Strax

I know he hasn't seen it yet but that's such an odd statement to me. Even not counting going to the theaters for movies last year I think I saw about a hundred new films across 2016. I'm kinda lucky in that respect that it's good for my job to stay on top of things like that but still, man what a good year and I'm still catching up. I just watched Train to Busan last night and that was a lot of fun.

Going through my notes and Wikipedia: The Witch, Hail Cesar, Deadpool, Zootopia, Midnight Special, Knight of Cups, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Everybody Wants Some, Demolition, Civil War, GREEN ROOM, The Jungle Book, Keanu, The Nice Guys, The Neon Demon, The Conjuring 2, Carnage Park, Star Trek Beyond, Lights Out, Hell or High Water, Kubo, Morris From America, Don't Breathe, The Birth of a Nation (problematic but still solid), Little Sister, American Pastoral, Doctor Strange, Hacksaw Ridge, Loving, Tje Edge of Seventeen, Arrival, Manchester By The Sea, Nocturnal Animals, Moana, Rogue One, Fences, 20th Century Women and hell even that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie was dumb fun.

I've still got to see The Founder, The Comedian and Jackie.

I've seen around 70% of these movies and besides what I posted I'd add Midnight Special to my list of really good movies. Sure, many of these movies are good but not really good or great imo.

Both Hail, Cesar! and The Nice Guys are movies I expected to love but both of them fell flat for me, especially Hail, Cesar!. Hell or High Water is a good movie that doesn't do anything new. Jeff Bridges getting Oscar* nom is telling how weak 2016 was. Weakest nom since Jonah Hill.

This is my list from 2015 and so far, from what've seen, only Zootopia and Arrival would make this list.

1. Inside Out
2. Spotlight
3. Rams
4. Victoria
5. Ex Machina
6. Trumbo
7. The Martian
8. Mad Max
9. The Hateful Eight
10. Creed

*Not that The Oscars are be-all and end-all but it's a decent measuring stick.

Catvoca

Banned
i love you

giphy.gif

robotrock

Banned
The songs in Moana are much better than the Shakira thing, and that's the only thing that matters in Disney movies.

Man I think Tangled is still the thing in this department. I enjoyed Frozen's OST more than Moana.

Zootopia's shakira song is actually bad, but it got it over with pretty quick. There was this new animated movie that came out that was based entirely on pop music and looked absolutely terrible, I think it was called Sing?

robotrock

Banned
I enjoyed Finding Dory way more than I expected to. I think it's a great movie.

Zootopia is king, but Finding Dory was probably my second favorite animated movie Disney put out this year.

LiK

I enjoyed Finding Dory way more than I expected to. I think it's a great movie.

Zootopia is king, but Finding Dory was probably my second favorite animated movie Disney put out this year.

I found Finding Dory to be pretty bad, tbh. Some cute moments but the overall story was way more wacky than I expected.

robotrock

Banned
I found Finding Dory to be pretty bad, tbh. Some cute moments but the overall story was way more wacky than I expected.

Story is definitely whacky but thought it was a good whacky. It's completely possible that the cute moments are overshadowing everything else for me.

LiK

Story is definitely whacky but thought it was a good whacky. It's completely possible that the cute moments are overshadowing everything else for me.

I thought it went beyond silly especially near the end with the humans. Young Dory was the only highlight for me. But I was pretty disappointed with it.

oti

Banned
Is there an easy way to download all podcasts at once which doesn't include torrents? Germany here, I don't want to go near that stuff.

Hindl

All this talk is making me realize I didn't see a lot of movies last year. I have some catching up to do when they start hitting Netflix

Unprovoked rant: I swear to god gaming side needs a stickied thread that explains that

1. There's no such thing as an apolitical game

2. Having women / minority characters isn't "forced diversity" or "pushing an agenda" and games don't need elaborate story justifications for their mere existence

Catvoca

Banned
Unprovoked rant: I swear to god gaming side needs a stickied thread that explains that

2. Having women / minority characters isn't "forced diversity" or "pushing an agenda" and games don't need elaborate story justifications for their mere existence

I don't mind politics in my games, or more diverse people, as long as it's justified by the story and not just thrown in to appease the "tumblr crowd"
/s

I don't mind politics in my games, or more diverse people, as long as it's justified by the story and not just thrown in to appease the "tumblr crowd"
/s
Women are fine but if the story could conceivably be told with a man it must have a man or else it's just ticking a box

LiK

I believe you were provoked.

Also, I agree.

Man I think Tangled is still the thing in this department. I enjoyed Frozen's OST more than Moana.

Zootopia's shakira song is actually bad, but it got it over with pretty quick. There was this new animated movie that came out that was based entirely on pop music and looked absolutely terrible, I think it was called Sing?
Tangled's soundtrack was... fine, but nothing special, and I actively think Frozen's soundtrack is dogshit, with the exception of Let It Go.

Moana's soundtrack is the best one they've done since The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

LiK

Tangled's songs were pretty bad. That movie would've been 100x better if it didn't have a single song.

Haven't seen Moana yet.

Tangled's soundtrack was... fine, but nothing special, and I actively think Frozen's soundtrack is dogshit, with the exception of Let It Go.

Moana's soundtrack is the best one they've done since The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
But that movie had terrible songs. The real best animated movie of 2016 was Kubo, but because it isn't Disney, it won't win the Oscar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom