• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
See those mountains in the distance? You can fuck those.

zlda-800x636.png

cero-800x144.png

I'm not sure if the people who want incomprehensibly large game worlds are crazy or if I'm just out of touch

The only super-large game I'd want to see is a super GTA. Basically, all of the US-based cities on one large map. Someone created an awesome concept of it a while back:

RWGXpoE.jpg

While it's nice, I think there's too much blank space. Seeing that, I thought of a really neat layout that would help mitigate the emptiness (especially that massive inland sea). Essentially, it'd be a 3 rows of 3 cities.

Along the top, you'd have a (new) GTA version of Seattle, a (new) GTA version of Chicago), and Liberty City. On the middle, you'd have San Fierro, Las Venturas, and a (new) GTA version of Washington, DC. On the bottom, you'd have Los Santos, a (new) GTA version of Houston, and Vice City. Each city could be driven to, flown to, or walked to (why would you, though?), but could be quick traveled to using the airports in each city. As a result, the airports would actually have interiors finally.

Has anyone on the crew said anything about Nioh yet?

Don't think so. An interesting thing about Nioh that I learned the other day is that Sony is now publishing it worldwide. Apparently Koei Tecmo dropped it (according to Wikipedia they are only involved with the game in Japan). This is sort of the inverse of what happened with Demon's Souls.

Mupod

Has anyone on the crew said anything about Nioh yet?

well, the sadist in me wants to watch Brad try to play it.

Don't think so. An interesting thing about Nioh that I learned the other day is that Sony is now publishing it worldwide. Apparently Koei Tecmo dropped it (according to Wikipedia they are only involved with the game in Japan). This is sort of the inverse of what happened with Demon's Souls.

I'd imagine Sony learned from that mistake. Nioh seems to have shot up on amazon since the reviews started coming in.

Sakwoff

The SMB2 stream is awesome. This fucking game. And those three have the best chemistry.

The fact that they are using some fucking dodgy bad dump is just icing on the cake.

Wonder how many viruses Vinny got with that.

Well as we all know the three best open worlds of all time are No Man's Sky, Daggerfall, and FUEL

Daggerfall is unique in way that I'd love to see modern technology tackle. Morrowind was great, but Oblivion and Skyrim are just dull to me. The world feels small and cluttered, it doesn't really feel like an "open world."

Catvoca

Banned
I tried playing GTA V but driving to each mission is just so tiresome.

I don't know why the LA: Noire system never caught on, where you could drive to the mission or you could put it on autopilot, it'd let you listen to any dialogue there is, and then it would fast travel you to where you need to go.

Mr. F

Banned
I'm not sure if the people who want incomprehensibly large game worlds are crazy or if I'm just out of touch

Not just you. It kind of feels like an outdated metric from previous gen, like a dick wagging contest of how much square footage they can cram into a game before it bogs down. In a nutshell, a lot of why FFXV misses the mark when executing its open world is how I feel about a lot of other games.

I would much rather the time and effort be put into interesting AI behaviours and authored spaces that actually feel lived in than trekking through a bunch of nothing to get from mission to mission.

kiguel182

I don't know why the LA: Noire system never caught on, where you could drive to the mission or you could put it on autopilot, it'd let you listen to any dialogue there is, and then it's fast travel you to where you need to go.

That would aliviate some of it for sure. It's just a part of the game that adds nothing for me.

I want to jump in and play the game. Not drive or walk around (and then do some more driving and walking around) just to get to the game part.

Open world games for me are just games full of fluff and filler in the middle.

bomma_man

I tried playing GTA V but driving to each mission is just so tiresome.

I get this but the appeal of those games is taking in the detail and the atmosphere - and whatever weird chaos you can create on the way. The mission design in GTAV and RDR is mediocre to bad - if you're mainlining you're doing it wrong.

Meguro

Banned
It's funny, I enjoyed the open world in FFXV more than I ever did any open world in any Rockstar game.
I don't enjoy city-style open worlds, if that makes sense.

kiguel182

I get this but the appeal of those games is taking in the detail and the atmosphere - and whatever weird chaos you can create on the way. The mission design in GTAV and RDR is mediocre to bad - if you're mainlining you're doing it wrong.

what can you even do? Shoot up people? The game isn't bursting with interaction. It's not Hitman.

It might have a cool atmosphere if you love LA (in the case of GTAV) and surroundings but since you can barely interact or have a real impact in the world it just feels empty.

Crashing your car and causing mayhem isn't something I find fun.

Mr. F

Banned
That's actually the exact reason I'm sort of worried about Zelda being as big as it apparently is. The footage that's come out already shows a lot of expanses of nothing, I'm nervous that they went in on that "people love Skyrim!" anecdote in the worst way.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That's what I'm wondering. They either have to have you do a lot of non-Zelda things or the open world will suck. Can't imagine they nail both of those.

kiguel182

From the big games coming I'm only interested in Mass Effect because I love the trilogy. I won't buy it day one but I'll get it eventually I think.

I'm not complaining, less money to spend on games is good for me.

Hopefully they take their time with Hitman because that one has to be a day one for me.

Mr. F

Banned
That's what I'm wondering. They either have to have you do a lot of non-Zelda things or the open world will suck. Can't imagine they nail both of those.

I can just as easily see them leaning on the survival mechanics in lieu of actually interesting things to do. Totally bracing myself for "stick plus rock" in Hyrule.

kiguel182

I'm more interested in the story of the new Zelda than the gameplay. I liked the less open structure of previous entries.

As I said before I hope mainlining it is easy enough.

EDIT: Give me a pointer and let me do the good stuff or I'm really not interested.

Hindl

That's actually the exact reason I'm sort of worried about Zelda being as big as it apparently is. The footage that's come out already shows a lot of expanses of nothing, I'm nervous that they went in on that "people love Skyrim!" anecdote in the worst way.

I'm pretty worried about this too, but I'll trust Nintendo. They fuck up a lot of things, but the core gameplay of their games tends to be solid.

I'm more interested in the story of the new Zelda than the gameplay. I liked the less open structure of previous entries.

As I said before I hope mainlining it is easy enough.

EDIT: Give me a pointer and let me do the good stuff or I'm really not interested.

Yeah, this is my problem with most open world games. I need an objective, if I just wander around, I get bored. With Zelda I think they may have a solution, where they say you could technically go to the final boss immediately and fight them. It would be like doing a SL1 Dark Souls run so you'd probably die, but that should make it so whenever I start getting bored I could head toward the endgame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom