• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Honestly in this new age I don't even think you're competitive without production experience of some kind. At the very least have a bunch of YouTube videos to show or something

Pretty much. Or you should be comfortable talking on camera at least cuz they'll make you do it.

In more recent times the podcast has actually become the most important GB part for me, so I hope they get someone that meshes really well in that regard.

Not too worried. Everyone they hired including the interns has been entertaining. Jeff has a good eye.

popo

GB is hiring the same way most places do, with connections or personal recs as priority. Posting the job publicly is just part of the procedures. I think anyone here who doesn't know them or people they know will have a much harder time unless their resume and personality fits what they want exactly.

All true, US Gamer was a recent example. Parish got the EIC job and hired nobody but his old friends and colleges :D

I think most people already accept this but given all the complaining after the Dan/Jason hire - people only remember the "straight white male" backlash but there was also a lot of resentment from people who thought it would be a level playing field. So I thought it was worth reminding people to manage their expectations to avoid disappointment.

LiK

All true, US Gamer was a recent example. Parish got the EIC job and hired nobody but his old friends and colleges :D

I think most people already accept this but given all the complaining after the Dan/Jason hire - people only remember the "straight white male" backlash but there was also a lot of resentment from people who thought it would be a level playing field. So I thought it was worth reminding people to manage their expectations to avoid disappointment.

Yea, and they're a small tight knit crew. Gotta hire people you trust and know to some degree. I think if I wanted to work there, I would probably start out as an intern at most, lol.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I think anyone here who doesn't know them or people they know will have a much harder time unless their resume and personality fits what they want exactly.

I thought they were aiming to hire a relatively unknown? Especially since they are looking for a junior level position. If they hire a known talent they have a higher risk losing them to another site again.

Zaph

Hiring for 'personality based' positions must be tricky. You have to list and interview it as a regular job, but realistically it's much better suited to the casting process of other entertainment industries. I'm not surprised people end up hiring from their filter bubble as a workaround.

LiK

I thought they were aiming to hire a relatively unknown? Especially since they are looking for a junior level position. If they hire a known talent they have a higher risk losing them to another site again.

Probably not anyone well known but I think anyone who worked in video production before is mainly behind the scenes and can be fairly unknown.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Hiring for 'personality based' positions must be tricky. You have to list and interview it as a regular job, but realistically it's much better suited to the casting process of other entertainment industries. I'm not surprised people end up hiring from their filter bubble as a workaround.

Personality has been a criteria for jobs I've applied to in the past, including my current one. No one wants to work with someone who is negative. I think it's more "on camera personality".

I just realized it is Friday by looking at the GB content schedule. No surprise it's basically empty.

Probably not anyone well known but I think anyone who worked in video production before is mainly behind the scenes and can be fairly unknown.

Gotcha. That makes sense. Did they say that it was a production job for sure? This is for the West position, right? Seems weird as West has 2 production people and East has 1.

patapuf

Yeah, i think there's a possibility that they go for someone younger/uknown this time.

Though that probably doesn't change much about the requirements.

It'll be Kessler

As long as he makes videos about collectibles in games, I'm down.

the fuck you mean future

deathmatch classic has been around for ages

NOm3_f-maxage-0.gif

join any server in a late-90s Source FPS that has nothing but bots in it and you'll see a bunch of bots just talking back and forth endlessly until the end of time

sometimes they don't even move

You brought back some great memories. Unfortunately, I never got to have such an experience however, I used to play a ton of these Source FPS games in internet cafes with other people back in the day.

popo

I think all anyone has said is that one is a junior position. This can be interpreted in numerous ways.

Personally I bet it means they can't afford to pay a similar salary to the current crew. Which would indeed rule out ppl already working at other outlets. Sounds like they are looking for someone trying to get a start in the business but not so green that they would call it a paid internship. I am thinking college grad with a blog or minor youtube channel/twitch stream.

I got to see The Specials a couple years ago at Royal Albert Hall in London during the Teenage Cancer Trust shows.

They're obviously a bit old, but, it was a fun crowd and a fun gig.

Xater

Reading the Eurogamer review tells me Glittermitten Grove has too much if this ZZT shit. Seems to kill the fun frantic pacing of encountering weird new stuff that Frog Fractions had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom