• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phediuk

6/10/2008 Bombcast: the crew talks about the state of PC gaming, and they all agree that it's practically dead and that pretty much everything but MMORPGs and RTSes (which, even then, they note is a dying genre) is better on consoles. They all seem to think that consoles have made PCs obsolete. Vinny couldn't even name the last new PC game he played when Ryan asked him to.

pizzacat

Banned
Didn't expect people to get up in arms about a picture of Bianca lightly holding her dog back so he doesn't go nuts on a bunch of cheese. The internet is stupid.
Oh it was her? The wedding is off right? Has to be now that we all know she chokes dogs

/s do i really have to write tbis for people to know
Elon Musk's GOTY is Overwatch

Suck
it
nerds
ow is good, and people who let the community get to them are weak

Phediuk

6/10/2008 Bombcast:

Jeff: "I'll happily take the framerate hit in Far Cry so that I can play it with a gamepad on a bigger TV."

Ryan says the only advantage of PC gaming is the greater control over games vs. consoles.

Jeff thinks PC gaming might still have a place for "small, quirky games", and thinks Steam might carve out a niche for those types of small games. (Note that they never say the word "indie" in this discussion, even though that's clearly what they're talking about.)

Phediuk

6/10/2008: Jeff also thinks that patches on PC games have become a huge pain in the ass, and that the lack of patching hassle is one of console gaming's main advantages.

2008 was a year of bad PC ports, by the looks of it, so I can't really blame that analysis. Steam was still in its nasency.

Unfortunately Mount&Blade was 2007. It could've singlehandedly saved 2008.

And I'll never understand the crew's preference for controllers. Yuck.
Elon Musk's GOTY is Overwatch

Suck
it
nerds

ThornyUnselfishAttwatersprairiechicken-size_restricted.gif

pizzacat

Banned
6/10/2008: Jeff also thinks that patches on PC games have become a huge pain in the ass, and that the lack of patching hassle is one of console gaming's main advantages.
I'm listening to old podcasts too and its getting scary how much shit they were predicting in like 2011-2013

Good on you for doing this, I was beginning to think Vinny was nostrodamus

Phediuk

6/10/2008 Bombcast

Ryan: "Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit, the triumphant return of Dimps to the franchise. Exciting for retards."

TraBuch

Banned
Hey TraBuch, what's the deal with this? I was thinking about jumping into Yakuza 0 as my first Yakuza game, since it seems like the earliest point in the story.

I wanted to play 3 when it launched, but people said to play 1 and 2 beforehand, but I had no access to a PS2 to play those at the time. So I've kind of missed out on every Yakuza game since.

Should I grab my PS3 and just play 3 or 4 instead?

4 is the best way to start imo. It basically starts a new story and introduces some new characters. The game also has some pretty in-depth recaps of the previous games you can watch. I kind of feel like you could get a lot of enjoyment out of the game with zero prior knowledge of the series, but there are plot elements later in the game that tie back into the first game so I'd definitely watch the recaps.

0 isn't a bad way to start since obviously it's a prequel and doesn't require prior knowledge of the games, but it's a better game mechanically and would make the older games less enjoyable when going back to them imo.

1 and 2, while good stories, haven't aged very well and aren't too fun to play. Especially 1.

3 isn't a great game and gives off a terrible first impression. The first quarter or so is unbelievably boring and isn't a good game for a Yakuza newcomer to start off with. Might put you off the entire series. Most of the enjoyment of the game comes from plot points tying into the first game so if not starting from 1, there's not much reason to play.

Chuck

Still without luck
6/10/2008 Vinny couldn't even name the last new PC game he played when Ryan asked him to.

6/10/2008 Bombcast:

Jeff: "I'll happily take the framerate hit in Far Cry so that I can play it with a gamepad on a bigger TV."

Ryan says the only advantage of PC gaming is the greater control over games vs. consoles.

Jeff thinks PC gaming might still have a place for "small, quirky games"

How times have chaaaaannnnnnnged

Kerned

Banned
This thread is making me want to go back and relisten to all the old Bombcasts. That's an insane undertaking, right? I don't need to do that... 😓

Salarians

This thread is making me want to go back and relisten to all the old Bombcasts. That's an insane undertaking, right? I don't need to do that... 😓
I went back and started listening from Arrow Pointing Down in October 2013

I got "caught up" in October 2016

Chuck

Still without luck
Y'all should go back and listen to the Hotspots, those things are amazing in retrospect.

I have all of them organized and labeled...maybe I'll upload them or something.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
oh brother, if you want some "classic" giant bomb jokes, old Bombcasts have your back!

tbf tho, we wouldn't gotten "from the fine makers of cunt" in today times

There's also that part where Jeff and Ryan just start talking shit about Ice-T's wife's looks completely unprovoked

Of yeah they had crazy opinions about pc gaming back then.

Inevitable changes sneak up on some people. I remember people talking about 2003ish that the PC was still stronk despite the financials and retail angle of the whole shebang left alot of developers releasing one final game and either shuttering or bolting to consoles. It only became TRULY apparent around 2005 (which is what it kinda still was during that cast, so they're pretty accurate).

Teeheehee

I started a new podcast recently. I don't host but I edit and I have a new appreciation for Brad.

That's totally what he did all day.

It begs the question, what does he do now?

Anjin M

Finally watching Blue Bombin': Mega Man 2. At 24:25, Alex does the thing that infuriates most about that game: burning both of his energy tanks on accident. Why does it let you do that?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom