• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

I'm watching the DOOM speedrun right now, and I still don't really get the point of speedruns that rely on glitches and massive skips. Setting a record time by skipping entire gameplay segments seems so unsporting. I might as well use cheatengine or something to give myself the achievement for beating it at that point.

robotrock

Banned
I'm watching the DOOM speedrun right now, and I still don't really get the point of speedruns that rely on glitches and massive skips. Setting a record time by skipping entire gameplay segments seems so unsporting. I might as well use cheatengine or something to give myself the achievement for beating it at that point.

There was this dark messiah run today that had some amazing glitches. so good

It takes a lot of skill to make use of those glitches in many cases.

jambo

A lot of glitches require frame specific timing, so it is pretty impressive in that regard.

I just love watching the community slowly tearing the game apart to get the lowest possible time.

justjim89

A lot of glitches require frame specific timing, so it is pretty impressive in that regard.

I just love watching the community slowly tearing the game apart to get the lowest possible time.

I could see that for sure, but at a certain point it just seems like it's barely even about the game.

Like, this guy is skipping 90% of fights. Why are you playing DOOM if you're gonna skip all the fights?

Do people really think all social media producers do is hashtags?

It involves a weird mish mash of video production, analytics, marketing, content creation, community engagement, scheduling. Actually a role that is hoovering up a lot of talented people.

If you're on board with an organisation that has a big Facebook presence, you might as well be running a website.

I could see that for sure, but at a certain point it just seems like it's barely even about the game.

Like, this guy is skipping 90% of fights. Why are you playing DOOM if you're gonna skip all the fights?

It's a speedrun, the challenge is in finishing it as quickly as possible and competing against other people doing the exact same thing.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

It involves a weird mish mash of video production, analytics, marketing, content creation, community engagement, scheduling. Actually a role that is hoovering up a lot of talented people.

If you're on board with an organisation that has a big Facebook presence, you might as well be running a website.
Gamespot really needs to improve on that front, too.
They have 2 to 3 million subs/followers on all social media accounts, but they are really lacking engagement on everything I've seen. Just tremendous amounts of potential.

jambo

Because he's speedrunning it at a speedrunning charity event?

justjim89

Like I'm not gonna sit here and act like I'm in the right here, I just kinda disagree with this facet of speedrunning on a conceptual level. As usual, I'm the crazy one.

Though I did one time see a video of someone beating Dishonored by using an exploit to kill Daud before he ever kills the Empress. That was funny.

Noticed they've got a Switch related video up on Friday 7pm (UK time). I am not sure what that would be about? A live show after they've been to see everything?

They also post #memecontent

While searching for this I came across a series Gamespot did named "Gaming Meme History"

It's just as skillful as regular speedrunning and if it's not your thing well, just watch the regular runs. Tool assisted runs are pretty stupid imo.

Glitchesarebad

Harumph.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Goddamn, I didn't realise how much people cared about scalebound, but that's mostly because it always looked bad to me.

jambo

Dammit Brad!

G67huOa.png

justjim89

I'm kind of an old fogey about most things, but I typically enjoy memes. The speed at which the internet turns on them seems kinda silly. Brands co-opting memes for social media campaigns is lame, but usually in a laughable and stupid way.

The doge thing still makes me laugh every time I see one.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Though to be fair watching old people use memes is like one of the most skin-crawling things to me.

There's like something almost sad about it.

justjim89

Ok, I might actually use that BFG exploit during boss fights on any replays of DOOM, cause the boss fights weren't that great in the game.

robotrock

Banned
54 minutes and 10 seconds to finish DOOM 2016.

That's like 1/6th of a COD game...game was rightfully placed at not-the-GOTY on the GOTY list

Goddamn, I didn't realise how much people cared about scalebound, but that's mostly because it always looked bad to me.

From a Platinum fan's perspective, it was exciting to see something completely new and different out of the studio. Also dragon combat, that was exciting.

The trailers were shit, but like... Monster Hunter wouldn't exactly seem exciting if they let long trailers go out where the team is wandering around the map trying to find the monster. But those games are still fun for those that enjoy them.

I dunno, it would have been cool. There was just enough released that people would like to see it come out. It's not something obscure that got one trailer and was never mentioned again. Oh, and apparently it's forced Kamiya to take a break, which sucks.

I think Will Smith is like a cool and interesting dude, but every time he's on the podcast it's like he's turning it on TOO much, y'know?

Like it feels less conversational and more like a performance. Maybe I'm just being too nit-picky idk

e: nvm i'm just being a whiny baby will smith is very very good

From a Platinum fan's perspective, it was exciting to see something completely new and different out of the studio. Also dragon combat, that was exciting.

The trailers were shit, but like... Monster Hunter wouldn't exactly seem exciting if they let long trailers go out where the team is wandering around the map trying to find the monster. But those games are still fun for those that enjoy them.

I dunno, it would have been cool. There was just enough released that people would like to see it come out. It's not something obscure that got one trailer and was never mentioned again. Oh, and apparently it's forced Kamiya to take a break, which sucks.

As rough as it looked, there was always a slight hope it'd be good because it's a Kamiya game. His track record as director is Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Bayonetta, and Wonderful 101. Of those Wonderful 101 is middling, and one could make a case for Okami's pacing problems.

justjim89

I really want one of the non-WWE fan duders to watch the Royal Rumble this year and talk about it on the Powerbombcast like Drew did last year. Maybe Drew again, maybe Brad, maybe Jason, maybe Rorie? It was fun hearing Drew talk about it last year in terms of what he enjoyed and what he didn't.

I really want one of the non-WWE fan duders to watch the Royal Rumble this year and talk about it on the Powerbombcast like Drew did last year. Maybe Drew again, maybe Brad, maybe Jason, maybe Rorie? It was fun hearing Drew talk about it last year in terms of what he enjoyed and what he didn't.

For that to happen we'd have to actually get a Powerbombcast. This feels like the longest Powerbombcast drought since its inception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom