• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearPawB

Banned
Wellllll I preordered one.

*note I had a $300 best buy store credit burning a hole in my pocket*

I agree the launch line up is like...catastrophically bad.

But new hardware lust...

And the wife really really wants to play zelda. Mario looked weird in a lot of right ways.

Zornack

Voice chat app

Zelda/Mario look good

Remember when Nintendo released shit all for the 3DS and Wii U for the last, what, two years? What the fuck happened?

it has 32gb of internal storage apparently (with option to increase with a microsd card)

stolen from the additional details thread

C2B0iKFUkAY4WBt.jpg:large

Polarbear

Banned
I'm pretty sure Jeff is going to tear into this whole reveal when they talk about it. Can't remember the last time a console reveal was so bad, and the launch lineup is the worst since probably the 90's.

BearPawB

Banned
I think people are forgetting how bad the Wii and Wii U launch lineups were.

Sure they had more games. But you still only wanted to play about one of them.

(not saying this is an acceptable launch lineup, just saying nintendo doesn't do acceptable launch lineups).

*also i have a habit of making preorders then cancelling them at the last minute* *coughcough psvr*

BearPawB

Banned
People are pre-ordering this now. Why. Why would you do that. Stop.

I don't understand preorder hate.
Especially with how rare nintendo hardware can be for 9 months after launch.
Getting a Wii was hell if you didn't preorder.

Also, preorders can be cancelled at any time. So there really isn't any risk.

$300 and only 32gigs of storage. Come on now.

As reference, Zelda is 13.4GB

I think people are forgetting how bad the Wii and Wii U launch lineups were.

Sure they had more games. But you still only wanted to play about one of them

Wii was solid. Wii U and 3DS? not so much.

well luckily it's been ages since the last Nintendo console that's been worth getting in the first nine months

BearPawB

Banned
well luckily it's been ages since the last Nintendo console that's been worth getting in the first nine months

Heh. Accurate.
I definitely wouldn't have pre ordered if I didn't sell my wii u after i got bored of mario maker.
But i'm not going to buy another wii u to play zelda.

Maybe by the time 9 months is up they'll have a 3rd party game that isn't from 2011 going for it?

I dunno, I've never seen a system reveal that did more to actively steer me away from the very idea of spending any money, much less the full introductory price, of said system. I could not in good faith respond to what was presented tonight by throwing money at it before it even exists in the market.

I have little faith in Nintendo supporting this thing for very long, too. They have a lot to prove and need to change some things to really show their customer base that they won't largely give up on it after a couple of years. It could turn out fine, sure, but pre-ordering this thing (and most things, really) just feels wrong.

There's got to be more to it than that, right? The thing outputs to 1080p on TV and 720p on the handheld thing. I assume that dock does something to boost the output.

It's sounding like the dock won't boost it, rather it'll be underclocked in handheld mode to conserve battery.

Maybe the silver lining is plugging it in via USB-C unlocks its full potential, regardless of the dock.

Also, I find it funny the Switch boxes are the same shape as PSP boxes. I wonder if they're the same size. I mean, they can't be all that big as the game cartridges have to be small, considering half of this system is a handheld.

Wasn't the rumor that it just ran faster connected to power?

Dunno.

Nah man. It just down clocks in handheld mode to save battery.

It's sounding like the dock won't boost it, rather it'll be underclocked in handheld mode to conserve battery.

Think of it as a laptop when plugged vs unplugged

Ah.

border

I'm pretty sure Jeff is going to tear into this whole reveal when they talk about it. Can't remember the last time a console reveal was so bad, and the launch lineup is the worst since probably the 90's.

GameCube and PS3 had arguably worse launch lineups. Xbox 360 was kind of a shit show as well. None of them had anything remotely of Zelda's caliber, and all even the good games were kinda forgettable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom