• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

UekyEem.gif

The best opening to a videogame sequel. It won't be topped.

Weetrick

Listening to the Beastcast, it's kind of funny how Jeff talks about running straight in to Zelda combat and using weapons to murder enemies instead of cooking up murder schemes and then immediately complains about his weapons breaking too quickly. I think the game's trying to tell him something about how it's balanced, and he's just not hearing it.

I got that vibe from the horse stable discussion. Jeff mentioned that the game didn't explain how to register a horse. When someone told him to talk to the guy behind the counter, Jeff's reply was something like "Nope, I don't want to do that".

Megasoum

Banned
Whoa... I just found out that you can still use the headphone jack on the Switch while it's docked...

Not as good as a jack on the controller like every other consoles released since 2012 but at least that means I can have sound while using my computer screen.

oti

Banned
I got that vibe from the horse stable discussion. Jeff mentioned that the game didn't explain how to register a horse. When someone told him to talk to the guy behind the counter, Jeff's reply was something like "Nope, I don't want to do that".
Yeah, if it wasn't for all the people telling him he should play more Zelda, he would've stopped. That's kinda the odd thing about him. He wants everything and he wants it immediately. On the macro and the micro level. Which funnily enough is exactly what Zelda offers after finishing the tutorial section on the macro level. You can go straight to Ganon. On the micro level however Jeff doesn't want to deal with stamina and other annoyances. Those annoyances are what make the game great though. I've never played a Souls game but to me it seems like Zelda traversing is what fighting is in Souls. An intricate system that offers you the freedom to tackle it however you want. Planning my route and reaching my destination is super satisfying to me. Maybe in the same way beating enemies in Souls is.

Whoa... I just found out that you can still use the headphone jack on the Switch while it's docked...

Not as good as a jack on the controller like every other consoles released since 2012 but at least that means I can have sound while using my computer screen.
I'm using two small audio boxes this way for Zelda and it's super good. Nice little feature. 🤗

Listening to the Beastcast, it's kind of funny how Jeff talks about running straight in to Zelda combat and using weapons to murder enemies instead of cooking up murder schemes and then immediately complains about his weapons breaking too quickly. I think the game's trying to tell him something about how it's balanced, and he's just not hearing it..

I just got the game yesterday and played for an hour. Any cool things to do besides pushing rocks from above onto them, bombing them, shooting arrows, or using the magnet to throw metallic things at them? Game mechanic spoilers are fine.

Hindl

Man every time I think of Zelda I just want to go off on how good everything in it is. And play it.

It's a tough life.

Yup this is my problem too. I've gotten to the point where when people ask me about it, I talk about it like the Bomb/Beastcast, where I spend the majority of the time talking about it's negatives. Because if I don't I just come off as a raving lunatic talking about all the amazing things it does.

TraBuch

Banned
Anyone ever notice that Tails from Sonic's real name is Miles Prower, which sounds a lot like miles per hour? Weird. Wonder if it's intentional.

Megasoum

Banned
I just got the game yesterday and played for an hour. Any cool things to do besides pushing rocks from above onto them, bombing them, shooting arrows, or using the magnet to throw metallic things at them? Game mechanic spoilers are fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EvbqxBUG_c

Anyone ever notice that Tails from Sonic's real name is Miles Prower, which sounds a lot like miles per hour? Weird. Wonder if it's intentional.

Oh.... Phoenix DOOOOWNNNNNN

I think the most important "small thing" that Zelda does differently is not marking shit on your map if you climb a tower.
It kinda changes everything.

That's definitely one of the things.

The second thing is being able to climb anywhere. I didn't realize how much of a paradigm shift for open world traversal that was until I returned to Horizon. I've been getting frustrated because you can't climb anything unless there's an explicit yellow handhold.

Ironically, the game that I think mirrors Zelda's freedom of traversal most closely is probably Assassin's Creed. But AC's environment is nowhere near as big or varied in terrain.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The NPCs might be my favorite thing about Zelda honestly. Minor, inconsequential spoilers below:

When you first arrive at the Zora's Domain there's a couple of guards standing out front. I talked to them on a whim, expecting some line like "Welcome to the Zora's Domain, don't touch anything" Instead he goes "Link!? Is that you? I used to watch you while you trained! But you're still young and I'm so old, how can this be?" and then the other guard says "Stop joking granddad, the legendary hero hasn't been seen in a century"

It's my favorite moment in the game so far, just for how much it caught me off guard

Hindl

Giving every NPC some level of personality might be my favorite thing about Zelda honestly. Minor, inconsequential spoilers below:

When you first arrive at the Zora's Domain there's a couple of guards standing out front. I talked to them on a whim, expecting some line like "Welcome to the Zora's Domain, don't touch anything" Instead he goes "Link!? Is that you? I used to watch you while you trained! But you're still young and I'm so old, how can this be?" and then the other guard says "Stop joking granddad, the legendary hero hasn't been seen in a century"

It's my favorite moment in the game so far, just for how much it caught me off guard

Yeah, I actually agree with Jeff on the point that the story they do in it is really cool. Like, it's a Zelda story, you're not gonna confuse it with the Last of Us or anything, but it's cool. I haven't finished the game, but they do some really cool things with the fact
that Link was around 100 years ago and the interactions that causes with people who remember him and people who have only heard of him
. Plus, I think the
memories
are a cool story mechanic. The VO is bad, but the scenes are cool. And because you can see the story in any order, it gives it an almost Tarantino vibe where you have to put it together chronologically.

Speaking of NPC in Zelda, there's one sidequest (minor spoiler involving Zora)
about helping a little girl find the person she's sending love letters to. It ends up being a grown ass man. I tried talking to the girl's mother to see if I could resolve the sidequest in other ways. But, yeah, it's weird.

oti

Banned
I like how Brad says "the NeoGAFs of the world" as if he reads other message boards.

We know you're here, Brad.

#CalamityBrad

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, I actually agree with Jeff on the point that the story they do in it is really cool. Like, it's a Zelda story, you're not gonna confuse it with the Last of Us or anything, but it's cool. I haven't finished the game, but they do some really cool things with the fact
that Link was around 100 years ago and the interactions that causes with people who remember him and people who have only heard of him
. Plus, I think the
memories
are a cool story mechanic. The VO is bad, but the scenes are cool. And because you can see the story in any order, it gives it an almost Tarantino vibe where you have to put it together chronologically.
Oh the story is great. I'm actually shocked. I went from not caring about any Nintendo game story (except Xenoblade) to the newest Zelda game having what might be one of my favorite game stories ever. It's fairly safe in terms of character archetypes I suppose, but it's commitment to it's premise, to how it all went right and then not flinching away from how it all went very very wrong, is just...There's a memory you find, with Zelda, right after it's all fallen apart, that I just loved, because you don't see what happened, but you see their reaction

It hasn't hurt my enjoyment of the game much, but I kind of understand the durability complaints with Zelda. Even at end game you can easily burn through 3 high-tier weapons against one strong foe. It doesn't matter much because of how many weapons they throw at you, but I'd rather weapons lasted a bit longer and were less plentiful. There's just no value to any weapon that isn't the master sword because of how expendable they are.

I like placing a bomb near where enemies are keeping weapons, whistling to get their attention, and then detonating the bomb when they go for the weapons. I guess that counts as bombing them, though.

It hasn't hurt my enjoyment of the game much, but I kind of understand the durability complaints with Zelda. Even at end game you can easily burn through 3 high-tier weapons against one strong foe. It doesn't matter much because of how many weapons they throw at you, but I'd rather weapons lasted a bit longer and were less plentiful. There's just no value to any weapon that isn't the master sword because of how expendable they are.

Yeah, I kinda want to be able to get favorite weapons and stuff. The durability stuff doesnt ruin anything for me, but its a minor annoyance.

kvothe

The NPCs might be my favorite thing about Zelda honestly. Minor, inconsequential spoilers below:

The game has been good at reacting to things that I was a little disappointed when
I was teleported back to Zora's Domain after finishing the temple there and the soldiers standing right there didn't react at all to my magical arrival.

Giant Bomb won't hire anyone unless they're 6'+. That's why it's taking them so long to hire a woman.

They were just recently talking about how Dan is 5'10, though!

That's what you get for being a heel.

That's some Drew-level shit. I applaud you.

Megasoum

Banned
I think that, by far, the thing that annoys me the most in Zelda is the fucking rain...

Sure it looks cool but it happens every 5 minutes so it's really fucking annoying when you'Re trying to go somewhere that requires you to climb (which is pretty much anywhere in Zelda). I've had to wait for the rain to go away so many times over the week-end ugh

I think that, by far, the thing that annoys me the most in Zelda is the fucking rain...

Sure it looks cool but it happens every 5 minutes so it's really fucking annoying when you'Re trying to go somewhere that requires you to climb (which is pretty much anywhere in Zelda). I've had to wait for the rain to go away so many times over the week-end ugh

Same here. I've had times where I'm half-way up a cliff on a stable surface and it starts raining. More or less put the controller down until it's over. I love the other random conditions that can ruin your plans. Say, suddenly you can't use metal weapons. There are advantages to the rain, like powers electric attacks, and making shield surfing faster, but it's far too often when I'm trying to explore. It stops feeling random or irregular.

Is Pontiff a Dark Soul 3 boss?

I ask 'cause, Partway through Dark Souls 2 and forever after, Souls bosses have kinda blurred together for me.

Jintor

I really like Zelda's character in botw, but having voiced cutscenes - however weird - really makes mute link seem even more like a psycho.

Hope they get a better voice director the next time around. Though I think individual performances are fine the real problem is that none of it seems to fit what's going on most of the time

I really like Zelda's character in botw, but having voiced cutscenes - however weird - really makes mute link seem even more like a psycho.

Hope they get a better voice director the next time around. Though I think individual performances are fine the real problem is that none of it seems to fit what's going on most of the time

It feels like the first game in the series that justifies having Zelda's name in the title.

Zornack

Jim is single-handedly destroying the Switch's chance of being a commercial success. One man should not have so much power.

Though I think individual performances are fine the real problem is that none of it seems to fit what's going on most of the time

Really? I find them all to be terrible. Impa's voice actress is 38 and sounds it. Zelda's was born in Michigan and does a terrible British accent. Fish dude was okay I guess but his sister sounded just as bad as Zelda.

Jim and Jeff should get together and share Zelda review war stories.

It will be like that time Conan was on Letterman after Conan got fired from The Tonight Show.

Top Bottom