• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

pizzacat

Banned
I still can't believe GBeast committed themselves to playing through all the Yakuza games

Theres no drought of content now

you guys will be filled forever

its like star wars

26d.gif

Catvoca

Banned
This might be considered blasphemy, but I traded in my copy of Yakuza 0 today. I'm just gonna watch GBeast play though it.

There's so much charm on display, and the narrative presentation is near perfect, but the actual gameplay is way too stiff and "PS2"-like. I just don't have the patience for that right now.

Forgive me, I have sinned

I haven't played (or watched much of) Yakuza 0 but I'm playing Yakuza 4 now and it's really not grabbing me at all. I completed part 1 and was expecting the plot to start speeding up but if anything the game has slowed down. Very underwhelmed by it considering how good people on the internet say it is.

Zaph

I still can't believe GBeast committed themselves to playing through all the Yakuza games

It's nice to have at least one coast scheduling things, but...

all Castlevanias
all Megamans
both Shenmues
all Yakuza
all Fast and Furiouses

...I'm starting to think Beast is that guy who says I love you on the second date.

danm999

I've basically focused on Yazuka 0 the past three weeks and am about 75% completion so doing 2-3 hours a week is gonna take forever. Then again I'm trying to 100% it because I am a maniac.

And then there's like five more of these games? Yikes.

It's nice to have at least one coast scheduling things, but...

all Castlevanias
all Megamans
both Shenmues
all Yakuza
all Fast and Furiouses

...I'm starting to think Beast is that guy who says I love you on the second date.

Yakuza is the only one that really seems like overkill, since everything else is relatively short.

Whilst I'm loving Beast in the East, it's a seriously long ass game and I really can't see myself wanting to watch even more Yakuza content once they wrap 0. I'd much prefer Alex do a Mass Effect 2 play through or Vinny take a stab at Andromeda. Variety is the spice of life man. It gets a little stale whenever they get too hung up on one particular series.

Just got done with F&F Fast and Furious and man I can't wait for 5. Even outside of GB people have said it's a brilliant and ridiculous action movie, but I never got round to watching it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I mean I'm super happy they play Yakuza because it looks like a game I wouldn't enjoy playing myself but that's really fun to watch. I don't think they'll start the next Yakuza this year (if they finish 0 this year that is) though

Who knows if they'll be done with Yakuza 0 by the time Kiwami hits.

We need more than one video a week.

It could be possible that Team Beast is biting off more than it can chew...

So much commitment.

Kimaka

I mean I'm super happy they play Yakuza because it looks like a game I wouldn't enjoy playing myself but that's really fun to watch. I don't think they'll start the next Yakuza this year (if they finish 0 this year that is) though

Yakuza seems like a series that will be better to play spaced out anyway. I'm playing the first and the combat is very similar and repetitive, but clunkier and you're in the same area as 0. I can see them having Yakuza overload.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Yakuza seems like a series that will be better to play spaced out anyway. I'm playing the first and the combat is very similar and repetitive, but clunkier and you're in the same area as 0. I can see them having Yakuza overload.

The combat in 0 already looks super repetitive so I really hope they take a long break after 0.

oti

Banned
Look, what we really want is Jeff and Vinny playing through all of Kingdom Hearts with weekly Lore podcasts. Is that really too much to ask for?

ArjanN

For film and 40s I had the volume most of the way down and the subtitles on so I could hear GBeast tbh.

Honestly there's basically no reason to put on the actual movies at all instead of just listening to the GB guys. They were all terrible movies until they went full ironic with them and even then they were still only mildy amusing.

Yakuza is the only one that really seems like overkill, since everything else is relatively short.

Kinda agree. The entire Blue Bombin' run is going to take less time than Yakuza 0 alone.

That said there's also no way they're actually going to do all of them in a row anyway.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Honestly there's basically no reason to put on the actual movies at all instead of just listening to the GB guys. They were all terrible movies until they went full ironic with them and even then they were still only mildy amusing.

Eh, i dunno, then it's just random quips that have no context intersecting long periods of silence.

ArjanN

I disagree with them being worthless movies as well. They're all entertaining. 2 fast is bad but that's one out of seven.

I think at least the first three movies are pretty much straight up garbage, even as B-tier action movies.

Dan's button mashing does not show off the combat well.

True, but even given that the action is never really great. To be fair Yakuza 0 does seem better than the previous games in that regard, but outside of some neat heat moves it's still mostly just busywork until you get to the next story beat.

I've basically focused on Yazuka 0 the past three weeks and am about 75% completion so doing 2-3 hours a week is gonna take forever. Then again I'm trying to 100% it because I am a maniac.

And then there's like five more of these games? Yikes.

I think Yakuza 0 is something like 30 hours if you mostly stick to main story stuff, they're obviously not going full completionist. Still not short of course.

I like them planning stuff like this though, at least that means there's some sort of plan.

This might be considered blasphemy, but I traded in my copy of Yakuza 0 today. I'm just gonna watch GBeast play though it.

There's so much charm on display, and the narrative presentation is near perfect, but the actual gameplay is way too stiff and "PS2"-like. I just don't have the patience for that right now.

Forgive me, I have sinned

I don't blame you, I sold mine about halfway through the game. It was enjoyable up to that point, but the very long dialogue sequences and long droughts between fighting were finally beginning to wear me down; once I started just mashing through them, I knew it was time to move on. Are all the Yakuza games as long as this, or is this extra long because of two playable characters?

Yeah I had an inkling that I was able to do that, but also solving the puzzle the normal way isn't that hard. Still, fucking love the sandbox nature of puzzle solving in this game.

Though the tweet replies mention that you can use a lightning weapon and I'm slapping my head for not thinking of that. What a game.

I keep elemental weapons around for reasons like that. Fire swords can keep you warm in cold areas, and ice swords in warm ones.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't blame you, I sold mine about halfway through the game. It was enjoyable up to that point, but the very long dialogue sequences and long droughts between fighting were finally beginning to wear me down; once I started just mashing through them, I knew it was time to move on. Are all the Yakuza games as long as this, or is this extra long because of two playable characters?

It's basically japanese soap drama: the game, so yeah, be prepared for a lot of long, overdramatic scenes.

I haven't finished Zero yet but 4 and 5 have, uh, four and five playable characters respectively (literally just picked up on that). They're both quite a lot longer than 1, 2, and 3.

Megasoum

Banned
I'll be honest... My interest in BITE dropped dramatically since I finished the game myself.

It's one of those rare occasions where I've actually played a game that they play through so it gets a bit frustrating.

Also unlike pretty much any other GB videos, it's a terrible "podcast video" kind of content... IE I can't put it in the background while playing Zelda because of the Japanese VO.

Top Bottom