• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
0187_6mubo.gif

Breaking Brad is at 16:00 EST today; two hours earlier than usual. Could it be that Brad wants to play for longer stretches ? :)

Yup Vinny tweeted that he's concerned about Brad playing more than 2 hours of Demon's Souls today :D

Vincent Caravella @VinnyCaravella
I am genuinely concerned about @bradshoemaker playing more than two hours of Demon's Souls today...

Darklord

Banned
I wonder why they never called Demon Soul's an endurance run? It basically is. Unless they consider endurance run's daily videos only.

Kerned

Banned
I wonder why they never called Demon Soul's an endurance run? It basically is. Unless they consider endurance run's daily videos only.

I think that's a part of it. People have come to think of an endurance run as a daily series in which a game is played from start to finish, and I don't think any of them want to commit to that sort of thing anymore. Honestly, I think it's better doing it once or twice a week anyway. I'd never be able to keep up with a daily series. I can't even keep up with Spelunkin' with Scoops.

I'm going to be honest. Breaking Brad Demon Souls is the ONLY thing keeping me subscribing. The bombcast has lost me and UPF never really grabbed me. Quick looks are fine but they're free. I'm just not into LOL SO RANDOM types of content like UPF, panels at conventions, and the (current) bombcast. I prefer focused playthroughs or discussion.

1) theyre not being done on a daily basis, which is what the ERs are known for and
2) they said they wouldn't ever charge for an ER. This is premium content, so making it into an ER would be kinda shitty.

That said, I like the two times per week nature of it. It's not as demanding on the staff like an ER which in turn allows for a steady stream of content to continue to come out on the site.

Patryn

Endurance Runs are daily videos and they're free. Breaking Brad Demon's Souls is weekly, not guaranteed to be a complete run of the game, and most importantly, subscriber-only.

Remember that they pledged to keep all the free stuff free after introducing the subscriptions.

Brashnir

I think that's a part of it. People have come to think of an endurance run as a daily series in which a game is played from start to finish, and I don't think any of them want to commit to that sort of thing anymore. Honestly, I think it's better doing it once or twice a week anyway. I'd never be able to keep up with a daily series. I can't even keep up with Spelunkin' with Scoops.

Given the length of these Demon's Souls videos, they're probably actually averaging more time per week than any of the Endurance Runs in the past.

Maybe not, since I think there may have been a week off in there, but still, one 2.5 hour episode is the same amount of time as five 30 minute ER episodes, and Brad did two of those last week, and he's going for ~4 hours today.

DangerStepp

I'm amped for the Breaking Brad show today.

It's inspired me to pickup my long lost character and play along to completion for the first time.

Has Brad mentioned whether or not all of this Souls action he's been on lately will burn him out before Dark Souls II?

Chuck

Still without luck
I'm amped for the Breaking Brad show today.

It's inspired me to pickup my long lost character and play along to completion for the first time.

Has Brad mentioned whether or not all of this Souls action he's been on lately will burn him out before Dark Souls II?

I think he alluded to it in the DS2 video and I totally agree. They're really going overboard with the souls videos as of late.

LordCanti

They're late, give it a little bit and I'm sure the stream/chat will pop up on the site.

Speak of the devil; It's up.

(I won't lie to you...I thought 16:00 EST was an hour from now, mostly because I'm an American and what the hell is 16:00 EST, but I've now done the military time to human time conversion and all is right with the world again.)

justjim89

Also, I'm not sure if it's because I had 50 hours already put into one character and knew the first half or so of the game pretty well, but being a sorcerer in Dark Souls seems a lot easier. I've still died my fair share, to be sure, but I'm about to reach Anor Londo in 14 hours as a sorcerer when it took me about 40 hours as a melee class. Bosses have been a lot easier, and tricky sections to navigate have been a lot more manageable just by being able to stand out of range of most enemies and cast on them.

I'm sure once I pass the part I'm familiar with things with get a lot more serious, but it's rather refreshing and therapeutic to get through big chunks of the game without much resistance.

LordCanti

I missed one. He did most of Latria's first area and I missed all of that. Now I've got to hit the archive later. What else did he do on that stream?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Also, I'm not sure if it's because I had 50 hours already put into one character and knew the first half or so of the game pretty well, but being a sorcerer in Dark Souls seems a lot easier. I've still died my fair share, to be sure, but I'm about to reach Anor Londo in 14 hours as a sorcerer when it took me about 40 hours as a melee class. Bosses have been a lot easier, and tricky sections to navigate have been a lot more manageable just by being able to stand out of range of most enemies and cast on them.

I'm sure once I pass the part I'm familiar with things with get a lot more serious, but it's rather refreshing and therapeutic to get through big chunks of the game without much resistance.

It's probably more your experience at the game. I played through first with a Zweihander for much of the early game and when I started a second character I was using the starting weapon and doing better in the average encounter. I imagine this would be especially true with a caster because you know the layouts, enemy placement, and distance to the next bonfire so you don't need to be as paranoid about wasting your limited number of casts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom