• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
My Dark Souls build is Laito +12 and the Buckler, with thief armor. I'm like a cat. Parrying with the buckler is the greatest sensation in the world.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Be a man, parry unarmed.

I AM MAN.

best_black_knight_axe_parry_256colors_smaller_by_alo81-d6fthxy.gif

justjim89

I'm like soul level 44 with 40 intelligence, like 15 endurance, 19 attunement, and strength I raised to whatever I needed to use the longsword. Wearing the crimson set with crown of dusk, and got my magic longsword+5 for when things get hairy. I'm not typically one to play mage classes, but it's really satisfying in Dark Souls.

sixghost

I'm like soul level 44 with 40 intelligence, like 15 endurance, 19 attunement, and strength I raised to whatever I needed to use the longsword. Wearing the crimson set with crown of dusk, and got my magic longsword+5 for when things get hairy. I'm not typically one to play mage classes, but it's really satisfying in Dark Souls.

Enjoy it because Magic gets more and more broken the further along you get. The highest level spells combined with the right gear makes you a walking catastrophe.

justjim89

Enjoy it because Magic gets more and more broken the further along you get. The highest level spells combined with the right gear makes you a walking catastrophe.

It's already making things a lot easier, I'll admit. The only times I've died to bosses have been when I didn't have enough time to cast all of my soul spears or great heavy soul arrows.

But in my mind beating Dark Souls is still beating Dark Souls, which I aim to do.

By the way: that ledge Vinny tried to talk Brad into jumping down was just a fall to his death, right?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry Brad, I'm pullin' rank and tuning into Ted Price.
Good luck!

justjim89

Giant Bomb loves to cheese through Souls games lol

Is it really cheesing though? Magic wouldn't be included in the game if it wasn't intended to be used. It's not like he cheated and got some uber weapon early or something.

Besides, wouldn't the biggest challenge be an archery run since the controls for it are so damn clunky?

Bah, Brad's tower Knight and Dragon encounters were disappointing. But he had enough vitality to survive those normally ohko's. And Damn soul ray is crazy powerful

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Is it really cheesing though? Magic wouldn't be included in the game if it wasn't intended to be used. It's not like he cheated and got some uber weapon early or something.

He did go get that Magic sword which is pretty uber-weapony in the early parts of the game.

Whether magics included or not it's still pretty cheesy.

I'm not saying he needs to stop or anything, just that it's cheesing it. It takes a typically difficult and dangerous encounter and neuters it. It's fine if he wants to, but like Vinny's dual wielding havel, it's more interesting to watch when they avoid that stuff (see the Artorias fight).

amorbis

I'd love to see a live show with Jeff and Patrick doing co-op Dark Souls. It's such a different game with a friend, also it's fun to destroy parts of the game that were so tense and hard before.

Also, speaking of Jeff Green, I bet he joins PC Gamer as executive editor, replacing Evan Lahti who just got promoted to editor-in-chief. Edit: Darn I'm wrong, it's Tyler Wilde. I want more Jeff Green!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Cheesy is such a dumb term.

Play according to what you like and what's possible in the game. I enjoyed magic a lot. It's up to the game designer to make sure that he provides a challenge for the systems he puts in place in the game. If he failed call him out on it but don't make it seem like the player is playing wrong. It's like when people called throws in street fighter cheesy.

demidar

I don't know about anyone else, but cheesing is a hollow victory to me because it feels unearned. It infuriates me more than dying over and over.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ed Fries just started advertising the Enders Game motion picture adaptation during his talk so I'm back to Brad and Demon's Souls.

sixghost

Giant Bomb loves to cheese through Souls games lol

I think it's pretty hard not to do something that would be considered cheesy at this point in the Souls games. Patrick pointed out in his article that playing through these games so many years after release is significantly easier than playing through them early on, which is 100% true. Even if you aren't pouring over wikis it's almost impossible not to get huge hints if you're talking to people who have played the games before, or are public figures on the internet. Even tiny advice like "upgrading your gear should be your #1 priority with souls" is advice that I would have killed for the first time I played the game, but it wasn't common knowledge in the community at that time.

I'd argue that the entire point of your first playthrough to find some way to cheese the game. Trying to make some jack of all trades is a great way to get stuck on O&S for the 30th time because you put points into everything without a clear plan. Half the fun of your first playthrough is getting attached to the style that you found most effective. That's why you always hear people saying stuff like "how the fuck can anyone play Dark Souls without the fast roll", and it's why every will defend their favorite weapon to death.

It's why the game is awesome. If you want to play it like an action game, wear light armor and dodge/parry everything; if you want to play it like a strategy game, tank up and find the best spells for that style.

Requeim

Brad cracks me up when he says he wants to hit things with swords and since the beginning of his play through he's been a magic user

I called it as soon as he started talking about the sword in 4-1. It was always going to happen, simply because it's the path of least resistance (like Vinny and Patrick with tanking in Dark Souls).

Jokab

I called it as soon as he started talking about the sword in 4-1. It was always going to happen, simply because it's the path of least resistance (like Vinny and Patrick with tanking in Dark Souls).

Or maybe they just like playing the game that way.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Cheesy is such a dumb term.

Play according to what you like and what's possible in the game. I enjoyed magic a lot. It's up to the game designer to make sure that he provides a challenge for the systems he puts in place in the game. If he failed call him out on it but don't make it seem like the player is playing wrong. It's like when people called throws in street fighter cheesy.

I never said the player was playing wrong, but its still cheesy. Nothing wrong with it, just not as entertaining as a viewer.

I don't know about anyone else, but cheesing is a hollow victory to me because it feels unearned. It infuriates me more than dying over and over.

Yeah, felt that way when I personally play. I played the first time recently and was able to get the Dragon Bone Smasher as a strength build.

I killed the 5-1 boss in like 3 hits and it felt lame.

sikkinixx

I feel like I've cheesed every boss so far in Dark Souls (just about through Anor Londo). Pretty much every boss has been running in circles throwing Lightning at them until they are dead. Even the dreaded Capra Demon was just standing in a corner where he couldn't seem to get me, lightning until dead. Moonlight Butterfly? Lightning until dead. Quelaag? Lightning until dead. Iron Golem? Lightning until dead. That and the fact that you can agro most any enemy by just flicking an arrow at them from afar and let them rush towards you means I've rarely had to fight more than one-vs-one, which is usually just circling behind and blackstab until dead.

I know some bosses aren't gonna let me do that (like the duo coming up) but the game doesn't seem to try to vary things up very much. A 100% physical shield and some high stamina generally lets me take my sweet ass time with any enemy, though again most enemies are just get close and circle around back. The game isn't forcing me to try new techniques because what I've been doing since the start has been tremendously effective.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
That must have been a GAF first, someone reading GAF in real time about being spotted/stalked and posting about it. That really is some serious Spike Jonze shit.

Also wanted to say that I wish Vinny would always host. He seems to really put effort into it and he's a natural at it.

In my experience, I was about 50/50 when I came up against invaders. There were times that they caught me with a spell or something I wasn't aware of but mostly I didn't feel overly outmatched by PvP builds. That was much closer to launch though, so that may have changed a ton by now.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
What actually does happen if you aggro Stockpile Thomas or The Lady in Black, etc? No item box and no leveling?

That must have been a GAF first, someone reading GAF in real time about being spotted/stalked and posting about it. That really is some serious Spike Jonze shit.

Also wanted to say that I wish Vinny would always host. He seems to really put effort into it and he's a natural at it.

Hosting yes. Producing? No. I have felt this way about Vinny for quite some time, he just doesn't seem to know when to let a joke go.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Vinny, but the podcast just brought up one of my big problems with him. The music underlays are funny the first time, however he doesn't seem to realize when the joke is no longer funny and is just getting in the way of the actual content being presented. The music under Patrick's description of the Eve hijinks got old super quick and was quite distracting from what was a very interesting story.

He does the same thing when he's in the control rooms during live shows, with the various graphics, replays, camera tricks, and such. They can be funny the first few times, but he just repeats them so much it gets old. (Drew does this as well, but to a lesser degree it seems).

Wait, stop throwing things at me guys!

K.Sabot

What actually does happen if you aggro Stockpile Thomas or The Lady in Black, etc? No item box and no leveling?

Lady in Black never aggros and if you kill her she gets back up and is sad at you, but will still let you level.

Everyone else is fair game.

demidar

I feel like I've cheesed every boss so far in Dark Souls (just about through Anor Londo). Pretty much every boss has been running in circles throwing Lightning at them until they are dead. Even the dreaded Capra Demon was just standing in a corner where he couldn't seem to get me, lightning until dead. Moonlight Butterfly? Lightning until dead. Quelaag? Lightning until dead. Iron Golem? Lightning until dead. That and the fact that you can agro most any enemy by just flicking an arrow at them from afar and let them rush towards you means I've rarely had to fight more than one-vs-one, which is usually just circling behind and blackstab until dead.

I know some bosses aren't gonna let me do that (like the duo coming up) but the game doesn't seem to try to vary things up very much. A 100% physical shield and some high stamina generally lets me take my sweet ass time with any enemy, though again most enemies are just get close and circle around back. The game isn't forcing me to try new techniques because what I've been doing since the start has been tremendously effective.

Throwing lightning? I don't think a fresh player would know how to get that that early in the game.

But yes, it's a shame magic is so powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom