• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched Spelunkin' and the smirk that happened after seeing Yama's entry in the journal just said it all. LOL

And while the method was ridiculously easy he still won and that's all that mattered

Brad's obsession with Crystal Lizards is a bit crazy to watch. Vinny even said he wasn't even sure if Brad would ever use any of the upgrade materials...

Though when he missed that big pit of lizards and then almost immediately quit out made me lose it.

Brad's obsession with Crystal Lizards is a bit crazy to watch. Vinny even said he wasn't even sure if Brad would ever use any of the upgrade materials...

That's how the playthrough of someone afraid of Souls games normally goes. They get the incredibly stupid idea in their head that there's one specific way you have to do things if you don't want to screw up everything, and end up obsessing too much about shit that doesn't matter in the least. Just because a new game+++++++ player cares about something doesn't mean that someone like Brad, who is gonna finish the game once and move on, needs to pay attention.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Brad's lizard obsession is hilarious. Someone needs to tell him he won't even use those materials.

Brad is right about being puzzled by the Flamelurker's supposed high difficulty. When I first played the game I just went through the levels mostly in order, so I did 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 and then got stuck on 2-2 because of this boss. At that point my equipment was so bad and un-upgraded that I just couldn't take damage or deal any damage. Once I had an upgraded weapon he was really easy to beat.

On my most recent playthrough I had a Sharp Falchion +3 with Sticky White Stuff on it when I got to the Flamelurker. I smoked him in less than 30 seconds by two-handing and spamming R1.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh Vinny mentions it minutes later. These videos are so much fun.

Cronen

I remember not caring that much about the lizards in DS, so watching Brad going crazy over them is really bizarre. Regardless, enjoying these videos.

Also looking forward to hearing South Park details. Game is not that far away!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, that was great. I'm glad World 2 is basically over. It's that annoying middle ground: not an enjoyable world, but not mean enough to be entertaining.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Brad is right about being puzzled by the Flamelurker's supposed high difficulty. When I first played the game I just went through the levels mostly in order, so I did 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 and then got stuck on 2-2 because of this boss. At that point my equipment was so bad and un-upgraded that I just couldn't take damage or deal any damage. Once I had an upgraded weapon he was really easy to beat.

On my most recent playthrough I had a Sharp Falchion +3 with Sticky White Stuff on it when I got to the Flamelurker. I smoked him in less than 30 seconds by two-handing and spamming R1.

Most people speaking to Demon's Souls' difficulty are probably thinking about their first experience with it, when they're not going to have a Sharp Falchion + 3 at their disposal (especially not that early on). When I got to Flamelurker on my first playthrough when the game came out, the trek to the boss + my lack of skill with the game and poor understanding of the mechanics made him seem insurmountable.

Brad is in a very different situation, years post-release with all the knowledge he's absorbed and with someone who's beaten the game and a chat room there to help him out. He chose a class he heard was easier, and is using a weapon that he was advised to pick up and use (and advised how to get the best out of it through upgrades and levelling). There's absolutely nothing wrong with him playing the game this way, but he shouldn't be puzzled about why he may be having an easier time of it in some spots.

LiK

I feel like embarking on one of the Deadly Premonition endurance runs for the first time, does anyone recommend one over the other?

Depends on which pair you prefer. It's interesting seeing the differences in how they approach the game. Try watching the first part for both and decide.

Grisby

I feel like embarking on one of the Deadly Premonition endurance runs for the first time, does anyone recommend one over the other?
Vinnie and Jeff have some more funny bits in the short run but Ryan and Brad had the funniest moment of the whole deal IMO. I spoil it below.

"There's a dog in the road."
"What?"
"Run that dog over."

Jokab

Jeff & Vinny's version is way more funny in my opinion, Ryan & Brad simply don't have the same chemistry and ability to play off eachother. However if I remember correctly, Ryan & Brad show more of the game, i.e. they do more sidequests and check more places out. so if you're into that you should check out them as well. Also Brad dies though. A lot.

FluxWaveZ

However if I remember correctly, Ryan & Brad show more of the game, i.e. they do more sidequests and check more places out. so if you're into that you should check out them as well.

Hm, I thought that'd be more of a VJ thing. Like running around, sticking their head inside people's motel rooms.

Phatmac

Ryan elevated the DP ER with his ecstatic enthusiasm during the end of the game. Brad didn't enjoy the game as much as the rest of the crew so he drags it down a bit. I still prefer RB's ER of it in the end.

Curufinwe

Most people speaking to Demon's Souls' difficulty are probably thinking about their first experience with it, when they're not going to have a Sharp Falchion + 3 at their disposal (especially not that early on). When I got to Flamelurker on my first playthrough when the game came out, the trek to the boss + my lack of skill with the game and poor understanding of the mechanics made him seem insurmountable.

Brad is in a very different situation, years post-release with all the knowledge he's absorbed and with someone who's beaten the game and a chat room there to help him out. He chose a class he heard was easier, and is using a weapon that he was advised to pick up and use (and advised how to get the best out of it through upgrades and levelling). There's absolutely nothing wrong with him playing the game this way, but he shouldn't be puzzled about why he may be having an easier time of it in some spots.

The sword Brad has helps mitigate the difficulty, and makes for a more enjoyable feature to watch. I know I struggled doing enough melee damage until I got the Dragon Long Sword +1 in 2-2, and I don't think it was ever as good as the Crescent Falchion +1. So I ended up using my longbow and arrows a lot. The first time Flamelurker destroyed me I was ready to despair, but then I read about the shortcut that made fighting him multiple times slightly more appealing than jumping off a bridge.

I only had time to watch the first 80 minutes of the stream this morning before work, so I just got done with the lizard craziness.

popo

South Park usually gets a pass from Patrick. Where as anything vaguely sexist or stereotypical of race on the 'net gets a shaken head response - funny or not. I feel he will fall somewhere in the middle on Stick of Truth and get it from both sides.

e.g.

Crazy asked : Call me crazy, but I'm not thrilled about this upcoming South Park game. I really don't see how letting you join the KKK or playing as a "Jew" class is anything but racist. Like, unless the only thing you do by joining the KKK is to dissolve it, I don't see how it's anything but racist garbage. I'm not trying to predict your reaction to the game or to condemn you before you play it, but I guess I'm appealing to your audience: please think about what you play and buy, because it really matters.

Patrick: That’s something I really need to see for myself.

anon asked: In the current climate of games journalism and criticism, South Park: The Stick Of Truth is going to be universally panned for its controversial, off-colour, non-politically correct humour. What do you think about this? Is it reasonable?

Patrick: I doubt it. South Park is usually pretty damn funny. If you’re going to use off-color humor, you need to actually be funny.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The sword Brad has helps mitigate the difficulty, and makes for a more enjoyable feature to watch. I know I struggled doing enough melee damage until I got the Dragon Long Sword +1 in 2-2, and I don't think it was ever as good as the Crescent Falchion +1. So I ended up using my longbow and arrows a lot. The first time Flamelurker destroyed me I was ready to despair, but then I read about the shortcut that made fighting him multiple times slightly more appealing than jumping off a bridge.

I only had time to watch the first 80 minutes of the stream this morning before work, so I just got done with the lizard craziness.

Yeah, definitely glad that the weapon is there for him to use and that he found it, otherwise we'd be watching him slog through some areas pretty slowly. Like, I'm pretty sure hitting the scale miners in world 2 with a normal slashing weapon ordinarily does very little damage - but because he's using a magic weapon, he doesn't even need to be aware of that; for all he knows, they're just a really weak enemy type. I think that sort of stuff shields him from some of the notorious "difficulty" of the game (which is fine). Even 2-1 seemed like hell when you played the game fresh in 2009 and tried to slash your way through dozens of enemies with your starting weapon and then face a boss over and over again.

JackEtc

Listening the to bombcast, is there video up anywhere of Drew and Vinny playing DayZ? They mentioned people following them because they were playing live, so I'm assuming it's up somewhere.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else a little excited for the Titanfall info drop?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really know much about the game other than the basics. I wanna hear about the campaign-ish stuff that they've been hinting at.

Curufinwe

Yeah, definitely glad that the weapon is there for him to use and that he found it, otherwise we'd be watching him slog through some areas pretty slowly. Like, I'm pretty sure hitting the scale miners in world 2 with a normal slashing weapon ordinarily does very little damage - but because he's using a magic weapon, he doesn't even need to be aware of that; for all he knows, they're just a really weak enemy type. I think that sort of stuff shields him from some of the notorious "difficulty" of the game (which is fine). Even 2-1 seemed like hell when you played the game fresh in 2009 and tried to slash your way through dozens of enemies with your starting weapon and then face a boss over and over again.

This is correct. 2-1 was a real slog for me because of that.

komplanen

First thing I noticed on the Titanfall video was that it took 40s to load from menu to training. I don't own an Xbox One and I've only heard the load times are long but I wasn't expecting 40s for a game of this quality. Art style more than makes up for what the engine lacks though. Really pretty.

popo

As someone who has only a passing interest in Spelunky - I watched the first and last episodes - are there any must see episodes in the middle that I really should not miss? There are just so many and I already have a massive backlog.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
South Park usually gets a pass from Patrick. Where as anything vaguely sexist or stereotypical of race on the 'net gets a shaken head response - funny or not. I feel he will fall somewhere in the middle on Stick of Truth and get it from both sides.

e.g.

The racism in South Park is done in a way demeaning to the racist to point out their absurd activity and beliefs.

On the internet, it's done either by absurd racists or by people with no understanding of or talent for comedy.

Slight difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom