• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylej

Banned
iCUzY0j5Xzc8c.png

lol

Also credit where credit's due, I found that lizard gif at this neat little Tumblr blog focused on Souls debug stuff.

http://illusorywall.tumblr.com/

Vinny may dig it.

Man seeing the comments on Patrick's videos makes me want to create a Patrick appreciation thread. I really enjoy his videos and what he brings to GB. He's perfect to balance out the rest of the goofy, trolling of games the other guys often exhibit.

That Harmonix FPS is going to get sooooooooo much Giant Bomb coverage.

Then its going to come out and be shit and they will think of a excuse to not review it.

They didn't review Bastion, did they (Greg Kasavin and all)? If I recall right, Jeff still hasn't reviewed Dance Central 3 either.

Bastion they flat out stated at the beginning, we're good friends with these guys, we're not going to review it. DC3, IIRC, was a case of Jeff not getting it able to work right for a week or so, and then it falling through the cracks. I think he said on his blog or somewhere that he was super pissed at himself for how that went down.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Would you really want a Dance Central 3 review from them anyways? It's impossible for them to be objective.

kai3345

Banned
Bastion they flat out stated at the beginning, we're good friends with these guys, we're not going to review it. DC3, IIRC, was a case of Jeff not getting it able to work right for a week or so, and then it falling through the cracks. I think he said on his blog or somewhere that he was super pissed at himself for how that went down.

Despite all that though I didn't think he pulled any punches when talking about it on the podcast. He made it pretty clear that he thought it was a shit game, IIRC.

Loxley

Man seeing the comments on Patrick's videos makes me want to create a Patrick appreciation thread. I really enjoy his videos and what he brings to GB. He's perfect to balance out the rest of the goofy, trolling of games the other guys often exhibit.

I think a lot of people see that whole snarky trolling attitude as being a key aspect of what makes Giant Bomb what it is. My guess is that part of the reason Patrick gets so much hate (still) is because he largely doesn't approach games that way. The main crew have pretty much always - if unintentionally - sold themselves on bring a funny bunch of guys who clearly work off each other really well. Because Patrick really makes no attempt to be as goofy or laugh-out-loud funny as the others do, he's had a harder time gaining exceptance from a certain sector of the GB fan base as a result.

And as we've seen from some of the awful things Patrick has shared, losing Ryan undoubtedly added fuel to the anti-Patrick fire.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Despite all that though I didn't think he pulled any punches when talking about it on the podcast. He made it pretty clear that he thought it was a shit game, IIRC.

Honestly, it seems like Jeff is kind of upset with how the whole situation went down and as a result ends up being a lot harder on it.

Friends of the site made the game. He got to a point where he was literally incapable of continuing while he was in the middle of playing it for review. He ended up not reviewing it.

If I remember correctly, afterward he learned that it was a problem with Kinect and that it had issues working with the lighting in his house (he has a skylight that apparently Kinect doesn't play well with.)

On one hand that's not really DC3's fault, on the other hand, it still affects the enjoyment of the game, and on the FINAL hand, I think he wants to make sure he doesn't come off as too forgiving of friends games so that people feel they can continue to trust the site.

It seems like a really tough balance to strike.

pronk420

watching the souls stream i was sure brad was going to hit a wall at some point, like the skellingtons or the mindflayers or flamelurker, but it just never happened.

he seemed to luck his way through the traps in 1-1 and then with the skelly punch technique he just discovered out of nowhere he destroyed 4-1. its like he's some kind of demon's souls savant.

any thoughts on what will finally pose more of a challenge? 5-2 is pretty annoying but soul arrow should make it ok. 4-2 and 3-2 shouldn't be too much trouble either. the only thing i can think of is
those two gargoyle bosses in 4-2 and the black phantoms in 1-4
but maybe you can just soul arrow them too.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
watching the souls stream i was sure brad was going to hit a wall at some point, like the skellingtons or the mindflayers or flamelurker, but it just never happened.

he seemed to luck his way through the traps in 1-1 and then with the skelly punch technique he just discovered out of nowhere he destroyed 4-1. its like he's some kind of demon's souls savant.

any thoughts on what will finally pose more of a challenge? 5-2 is pretty annoying but soul arrow should make it ok. 4-2 and 3-2 shouldn't be too much trouble either. the only thing i can think of is
those two gargoyle bosses in 4-2 and the black phantoms in 1-4
but maybe you can just soul arrow them too.

Patrick beat the Capra Demon on his first try in DaS. Brad and Patrick both seem to have a strange talent for the Souls games.

Patryn

Jeff shat all over it in a recent Bombcast.

He didn't quite shit all over DC3, he just said that he reached a point where he was blocked and he was uncertain if it was the game's fault or Kinect's fault. He did criticize the game blocking you from progressing until you nailed a specific dance, though.

Are they taking the week off or something? Time line is nearly empty!

Yesterday was a US holiday. They probably weren't in the office.

Myomoto

Are they taking the week off or something? Time line is nearly empty!

Don't expect anything until Wednesday. They've got Monday off (Americans and their long weekend holiday fetish). They'll likely spend a fair bit of Tuesday recording the bombcast, and then we might see a quick look er something on Wednesday.

popo

Don't expect anything until Wednesday. They've got Monday off (Americans and their long weekend holiday fetish). They'll likely spend a fair bit of Tuesday recording the bombcast, and then we might see a quick look er something on Wednesday.

They generally record the podcast late - but yeah, they have to deal with the paperwork and meetings that usually happens pm Monday and then record something to put out Wednesday. I don't think any of this weeks games are big enough for them to do a live QL.

LiK

I hope Brad will stop being so obsessed with the lizards. They don't really add much unless you're going for maxed out upgrades which you don't even need. I found myself skimming through some parts of those in the last playthrough.

Jeff on the stream saying Ken Levine is breaking apart Irrational Games o_O starting a smaller entrepreneurial group within 2K with 15 members...

edit: and its confirmed... fuck...

pronk420

I hope Brad will stop being so obsessed with the lizards. They don't really add much unless you're going for maxed out upgrades which you don't even need. I found myself skimming through some parts of those in the last playthrough.

yeah i found a lot of that kind of annoying. they aren't that big of a deal. it was pretty painful to watch when he just ran off and left the loot from one sitting on the floor after making such a big thing out of them. (i know he went back eventually after the chat pointed it out)

Defunkled

Yeah definitely. He's easily my 3rd favorite member of the team (behind Jeff and Vinny). Dude has brought nothing but good things to the site.

SummitAve

Banned
I think he once stated has less interest in the press side of gaming, he also now has a good entry for his CV on the dev side. I'd say it's unlikely.

Not to put words in his mouth, but he has tweeted about missing that side of things and wanting to be on/start podcasts. I don't even think he would necessairly be a good fit for giantbomb, I just enjoy his work.

Zaph

I think Alex is putting far too much faith in Irrational getting funding for another game, even with Ken. That is one expensive studio and next-gen will only increase that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom