• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor Vinny

iIEYsptRQdoQC.gif

Einbroch

Banned
The biggest problem with GiantBomb is if they aren't into a game, they just rail on it constantly.

ESO is great. It's Elder Scrolls, online. That includes all the good and bad parts of TES.

Darklord

Banned
The biggest problem with GiantBomb is if they aren't into a game, they just rail on it constantly.

ESO is great. It's Elder Scrolls, online. That includes all the good and bad parts of TES.

They didn't rail in it. They gave it a "meh". I'm a huge ES fan but it looks bland and uninteresting as fuck.

Einbroch

Banned
They didn't rail in it. They gave it a "meh". I'm a huge ES fan but it looks bland and uninteresting as fuck.
That's more what I meant, sorry. Their disinterest is palpable.

Do you like watching other people play TES? I think watching people play TES is boring as hell, it's all about you exploring the world.

popo

Seems auto-publish broke again. I want my Goat Sim.

Which seems to encapsulate public opinion on it too, even those enjoying it.

Do you like watching other people play TES? I think watching people play TES is boring as hell, it's all about you exploring the world.

but seeing as it is a video feature - them exploring it (and finding it meh) is all you are going to get. Does TES have any sort of free trial before you buy? - if not, then there is little more GB can do. Personally, I think they gave it 3 hours more coverage than I would have expected.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't there a Goat Simulator QL on the schedule? They also have 4 videos from last week twice on their youtube channel. Is it their auto-publishing system freaking out or what is going on when this happens?

Sometimes opinions don't line up, this is how that feels like.

Darklord

Banned

I'd have been FAR more interested in this if they went the EVE route and made it non-linear. Total openness and freedom. Player run. Them boasting about a 100 hour single player story. Who would I want that in an MMO?

Mesoian

It's REALLY not and it really doesn't

Except you never really get to explore it without a million other asshats basically completing things in front of you.

It's the games' biggest problem by far. TES is defined by the level of exploration within, the fact that you are discovering this world and it's problems and secrets, and you literally can't do that because every time you run up on a quest marker or a boss or a collectible or something, there are 11 other dudes fluttering around it because EVERYONE IS DOING THE SAME THING. The best parts of Skyrim where when you're out in the wilderness just exploring and some random ass shit goes down that you never expected, like suddenly there's a giant on the path that you're going down and if you get close to him, he's GOING to kill you, or you're fighting some random wolves and suddenly a Dragon decides to drop in on you. Everything in ESO is heavily scripted, so you get none of that in ESO. So all you're left with is the bad Skyrim combat.

I'd go as far as to say that you'll get the maximum amount of enjoyment from ESO if you've never played another TES game before. I won't even bother going into all the lore issues the game has, but the experience ESO gives is just...inferior, compared to the other TES games. You could repaint ESO in any other brand while keeping everything else the same and the experience would be exactly the same, and that sucks. It's not enough of an elder scrolls game and it doesn't have the usually MMO trappings what keep those games interesting for the first 20 levels.

Mesoian

The most exciting thing about the Amazon FireTV is the possibility of an impromptu Giant Bomb Console Launch livestream.

SummitAve

Banned
It's REALLY not and it really doesn't

Except you never really get to explore it without a million other asshats basically completing things in front of you.

It's the games' biggest problem by far. TES is defined by the level of exploration within, the fact that you are discovering this world and it's problems and secrets, and you literally can't do that because every time you run up on a quest marker or a boss or a collectible or something, there are 11 other dudes fluttering around it because EVERYONE IS DOING THE SAME THING. The best parts of Skyrim where when you're out in the wilderness just exploring and some random ass shit goes down that you never expected, like suddenly there's a giant on the path that you're going down and if you get close to him, he's GOING to kill you, or you're fighting some random wolves and suddenly a Dragon decides to drop in on you. Everything in ESO is heavily scripted, so you get none of that in ESO. So all you're left with is the bad Skyrim combat.

I'd go as far as to say that you'll get the maximum amount of enjoyment from ESO if you've never played another TES game before. I won't even bother going into all the lore issues the game has, but the experience ESO gives is just...inferior, compared to the other TES games. You could repaint ESO in any other brand while keeping everything else the same and the experience would be exactly the same, and that sucks. It's not enough of an elder scrolls game and it doesn't have the usually MMO trappings what keep those games interesting for the first 20 levels.

That hasn't really been my experience so far. There are a bunch of people running around in beginning city, but that number defintely goes down once you start wandering out. I was doing some of the main story line last night and there were large parts that I'm assuming were instanced because there was nobody else around at all. I also feel the exploration aspect of the game remains intact as well. You're experience in skyrim sounds like the experience I've been having in ESO.

ESO feels to me just like an TES game quest wise with currency that isn't meaningless and other players to fill out the world.

I'm really interest in how PVP works in this game and none of that was really covered or experienced in the quick look so I believe there is a bunch more to this game that isn't necessarily apparent in the quick look or to people just starting.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
ESO looks how a lot of other MMOs look to me - like you're at a big treasure hunt theme park thing, with everyone rushing to complete the same things as everyone else, but everyone's on a slightly different track. The NPCs are like these theme park actors, sitting around ready to dispense some information for your treasure map, or to stamp your checklist or whatever. But then I guess that's what people play MMOs for - running around a world with real people at the cost of some immersion and an overall less unique personal experience.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Can someone who plays MLB The Show tell me if it's possible to get your entire team thrown out if you keep pitching at someone's head? That would be amazing. lol

I cant believe Vinny actually picked professor farnsworth.

My life is complete.

I wanna say that target field is the most played field across all baseball quick looks now. Go twins!

wizard

Banned
ESO looks how a lot of other MMOs look to me - like you're at a big treasure hunt theme park thing, with everyone rushing to complete the same things as everyone else, but everyone's on a slightly different track. The NPCs are like these theme park actors, sitting around ready to dispense some information for your treasure map, or to stamp your checklist or whatever. But then I guess that's what people play MMOs for - running around a world with real people at the cost of some immersion and an overall less unique personal experience.

Yep but the customization and skill choices make balance far more interesting than every game out there. Also the PvP is where the game truly shines so if you aren't into that kind of stuff you probably shouldn't play it. Unless you just want more ES content.

I feel like ESO is doing a very smart thing by looking and feeling like Skyrim as much as possible. Not only because Skyrim is massively popular (obvious) but because by resembling the traditional ES games, it's avoiding the problem most MMOs have which is reminding people of WoW. Most MMOs look and feel like WoW, which inevitably leads players to wonder "Well, why am I actually playing this game that's really similar to WoW, when I can just go play WoW, which is just this but with way more content and mods and features?" It's hard for me-too WoW imitators to compete with WoW because they're newer and can never compare in terms of breadth of content, user-created addons, amount of raids, ease of dungeon finder, etc.

ESO looks like ES games with its UI and presentation and you aren't really reminded of WoW. Most people seem encouraged to play from the first person perspective and it isn't necessary to zoom all the way out like usual. They've got fully animated and voiced NPCs without giant glowy exclamation and question marks over their heads and it mostly feels like a multiplayer version of Skyrim. Of course, this could change in the future and eventually those features might get dropped. But for now, it seems to be doing a good job of differentiating itself from the traditional WoW MMO vision.

My favorite kyle farnsworth moment was when he was mad and kicked an electric fan and got injured, missing 3 weeks.

Dumb baseball injuries are the greatest. Marty Cordova burning himself in a tanning bed, Glenallen Hill falling through a coffee table because he had a nightmare about spiders, and then Jeff Kent's "car-washing" incident. They should add that stuff into MLB The Show.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

My life is complete.

I wanna say that target field is the most played field across all baseball quick looks now. Go twins!

Twins! Target field is one of the greatest fields out there.

bigkrev

My life is complete.

MLB 14 The Show QL: A's vs Mets at Shea
MLB 13 The Show QL: A's vs Mets at Shea
MLB 10 The Show QL: Phillies vs Yankees at New Yankee Stadium
As best I can tell, they did not do QL for 2012 or 2011

I'm just amazed they played the exact same teams in the exact same retro stadium for 2 years in a row

MLB 14 The Show QL: A's vs Mets at Shea
MLB 13 The Show QL: A's vs Mets at Shea
MLB 10 The Show QL: Phillies vs Yankees at New Yankee Stadium
As best I can tell, they did not do QL for 2012 or 2011

I'm just amazed they played the exact same teams in the exact same retro stadium for 2 years in a row

I can go back and check but I'm pretty sure they played at Target field in an '10 game as it was the default (it opened that year, or maybe Mauer was on the cover? I forget).

It probably wasn't The Show and was probably the 2K series.

Well the only 2K quick look they ever did was '10 so maybe my memory is just gone.

bigkrev

I can go back and check but I'm pretty sure they played at Target field in an '10 game as it was the default (it opened that year, or maybe Mauer was on the cover? I forget).

It probably wasn't The Show and was probably the 2K series.

MLB 2K10: Giants vs Indians at Spring Training
The Bigs 2: Sox vs Yankees at Fenway
MLB Bobblehead Pros: Royals vs Giants at AT&T Park
Nicktoons MLB: The Goofballs vs A's at AT&T Park

Those were the only other baseball QLs I was able to find

Fun Fact: Jeff is pissed there is no branding on the Coke Bottle in both Nicktoons and Bobbleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom