• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unprofessional Fridays: Chicago seems like an added extra to the usual content. There is only room in the upcoming tab for 5 things, so I think Regular Ole Unprofessional Friday will appear once Worth Playing gets published.

...or maybe I missed something.

Quentyn

Unprofessional Fridays: Chicago seems like an added extra to the usual content. There is only room in the upcoming tab for 5 things, so I think Regular Ole Unprofessional Friday will appear once Worth Playing gets published.

Yep, Patrick already said on Twitter that it is a lead-in for the San Francisco show and not a replacement.

Volotaire

I've got to say, catching up on the bombcasts's I've missed in the last few weeks, I found Lang's developer talk on the podcast insightful into pre-launch hardware difficulties and the developer's view of game development from a non PR perspective. It was certainly a stark contrast to the latter part of the GDC discussion. I was surprised how he downplayed the significance of the similarities in console hardware relative to the simplicity to port and develop games for multiple hardware systems. As much as I love hearing from the usual guests, I do hope they shake up the bombcast's line up a bit more. Keep up the great work guys!

def sim

ibra5Fiip0L9Nn.png

You are correct.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I hope someone brings a dumb old game to UPF this week.

Patryn

Hopefully they skip Q&A on the Pax panel.

I believe Jeff has said in the past that the point of the panels is to interact with their audience. So I can't see a situation where they don't do Q&A.

If it makes you feel any better, they've started scheduling the panels for longer periods of time.

Fox318

Does Jeff just want an arcade style baseball game?

I don't see why so many game reviewers don't like the style or features of modern sports games.

Is it that they just want something that is 8 bit simple? Many of the sports games are as much about being a RPG/strategy as they are a competitive game.

I'm the same when it comes to sports games at times. Have the games get more realistic and what not? Yes. But as far football goes my favourite memories are with PS2 era PES. NHL 2003 was another from about a similar time. Early Tony Hawks over Skate. Yes the games have got better but there is so many levels of extra complexity that makes me prefer the older, simpler approach.

FStop7

Banned
This whole thing with saving people from their ignorance because they play 2048 instead of Threes is crazy. Patrick and Alex sound deranged. I don't blame that lady on the bus for being irritated.

Brakke

Banned
2048 IS pretty vacuous though. Alternating down and left and then an occasional right if you're blocked works incredibly well.

...plus indie darling game designer versus some Indian and Chinese nobodies...

:(

This whole thing with saving people from their ignorance because they play 2048 instead of Threes is crazy. Patrick and Alex sound deranged. I don't blame that lady on the bus for being irritated.
yo pat the shirt you re wearing is actually ripped off from a design first found in the 70s and

see how you already dont care

2048 IS pretty vacuous though. Alternating down and left and then an occasional right if you're blocked works incredibly well.

...plus indie darling game designer versus some Indian and Chinese nobodies...

:(

Wait so what does Threes do differently? I thought the whole thing was that 2048 was a straight copy.

I really think they need to let this go. It's painfully obvious they're mostly incensed because Patrick and Max work next to the creator of Threes and it's fine to stick up for your friends, but this really isn't getting a whole lot of traction.

Does Jeff just want an arcade style baseball game?

I don't see why so many game reviewers don't like the style or features of modern sports games.

Is it that they just want something that is 8 bit simple? Many of the sports games are as much about being a RPG/strategy as they are a competitive game.

The "problem" is that the games are as complex as any other game but they don't have an interesting setting for anyone who doesn't care about the sport that much IRL. Elves, romans, robots or aliens are much more interesting than some dudes hitting balls in a stadium.

The simplicity of early sport games made them great competitive games to play with your friends even if you (or your friend) didn't know much about the sport. They filled the same niche as games like Samurai Gunn these days, though of course it wasn't as much a niche back then.

Making complex sport games for people who like the sport isn't wrong, of course, it just means that people who liked those early sport games for their simplicity won't enjoy them.

We should do Q&A bingo during the stream and fill it with questions like "how do I get into the game industry?". "When's the next endurance run?" can be the free space.

"How do you feel about getting fired for the Kane and lynch review."

"Are you guys planning on bringing TANG back?"

Creepy questions happen, especially from a community that has its roots in both GAF and Gamespot.

iz25rmp0ltE0L.gif

Bring the cringe!

FStop7

Banned
Derivative works, ripoffs, clones, whatever you call them have been in video games since day one. It does suck for the original creators, no doubt.

Munch_Man_Coverart.png

Smugly proselytizing to strangers on a bus just makes you look like a loon.

I really think they need to let this go. It's painfully obvious they're mostly incensed because Patrick and Max work next to the creator of Threes and it's fine to stick up for your friends, but this really isn't getting a whole lot of traction.

I was going to say that patrick is too close to the situation to really take anything he says about this seriously and I'm sorta glad you mentioned it first. I mean, this sucks but it happens. Words with friends is scrabble yet no one got up in arms about it basically being the same thing. the devs should be trying to see what went wrong with how their game was marketed instead of pointed the finger at someone else for doing their thing better.

I was going to say that patrick is too close to the situation to really take anything he says about this seriously and I'm sorta glad you mentioned it first. I mean, this sucks but it happens. Words with friends is scrabble yet no one got up in arms about it basically being the same thing. the devs should be trying to see what went wrong with how their game was marketed instead of pointed the finger at someone else for doing their thing better.
Yep.

Don't blame me for not hearing about your game first.

Plus threes costs money so you're already kind of losing in the mobile market when it's such a simple project, someone else will make it in a weekend for free simply because they can.

sixghost

Derivative works, ripoffs, clones, whatever you call them have been in video games since day one. It does suck for the original creators, no doubt.

Munch_Man_Coverart.png

Smugly proselytizing to strangers on a bus just makes you look like a loon.

you missed a golden opportunity to post the cover art for Dot Gobbler

FStop7

Banned
Can someone explain the Jeff/Greg joke?

Greg founded Jiant Bomb but was drowned by his evil brother Geoff, who assumed his identity after he was fired from Gamestop for stealing all the Kane and Lynch preorder bonus codes.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Wait so what does Threes do differently? I thought the whole thing was that 2048 was a straight copy.
I've played them both for a while and Threes is definitely harder. I think the main reason is that 2048 spawns 2's and 4's. 2's can be combined into 4's. Threes spawns 1's and 2's. You need one of both to make a 3. It's a little thing that changes the dynamic of the game.

There are also the random higher numbers in Threes that add a random element and it's why they need a Tetris-like preview field for the next spawn.

Fox318

Well, yeah, pretty much. He loves NFL Blitz for a reason.

But there have been a decent amount of arcade sports games in the past generation.

There was a XBLA Tecmo Bowl, NFL Jam, and NFL Blitz.

Baseball has been the most fucked but that has been because 2k drove baseball games back 10 years.

Plus even when there is a new sports game that would cater to what Jeff and others in games media want it is almost never promoted or written about.

Remember when Jeff called out Brad and other like him for hating Call of Duty sequels for no other reason than it was popular rather than the series gradual downturn when it came to map design and a diminishing quality in its single player mode. I feel like Jeff and others could be called out for as much when it came to sport games.

Maybe I'm in the minority but for as much as I loved Tony Hawk games in the past a more "realistic" game like skate grabs me more.

Even in the modern sports games I feel they have done a decent job of trying to make the controls simpler for those who want it. NHL has the NHL96 mode, MLB the Show has a 1 button hit and pitch, Madden will call plays for you, and I was able to pick up and play NBA2k14 and enjoy it without much experience in basketball games in about 10 minutes.

How long did it take for the the Android version of Threes to come out? I remember when I first heard about it there was no Android version so ended up playing a "clone". Would have picked up Threes but wasn't there at that impulse buy point, now I've had my fill of those sort of games.

Reminds me of Ridiculous Fishing/Ninja Fishing. Went with Ninja because Ridiculous wasn't on Android. Is now, but no urge to ever go play it.

How long did it take for the the Android version of Threes to come out? I remember when I first heard about it there was no Android version so ended up playing a "clone". Would have picked up Threes but wasn't there at that impulse buy point, now I've had my fill of those sort of games.

Reminds me of Ridiculous Fishing/Ninja Fishing. Went with Ninja because Ridiculous wasn't on Android. Is now, but no urge to ever go play it.

Was about to say the same thing, though I just recently bought Ridiculous Fishing after the GDC stream reminded me of it.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Before every PAX panel people imagine how bad the Q&A will be and always was and everytime afterwards it's "well that wasn't that bad".

Yep. Last year there was basically nothing wrong with the Q&A portion aside from the one asshole asking the question about TANG. In fact, most comments in this thread being down on the Q&A were exclusively referring to that question. Just seems like a massive amount of confirmation bias at this point where GAF sits on edge waiting for the thing to cringe at.

But there have been a decent amount of arcade sports games in the past generation.

There was a XBLA Tecmo Bowl, NFL Jam, and NFL Blitz.

Baseball has been the most fucked but that has been because 2k drove baseball games back 10 years.

Plus even when there is a new sports game that would cater to what Jeff and others in games media want it is almost never promoted or written about.

Remember when Jeff called out Brad and other like him for hating Call of Duty sequels for no other reason than it was popular rather than the series gradual downturn when it came to map design and a diminishing quality in its single player mode. I feel like Jeff and others could be called out for as much when it came to sport games.

Maybe I'm in the minority but for as much as I loved Tony Hawk games in the past a more "realistic" game like skate grabs me more.

Even in the modern sports games I feel they have done a decent job of trying to make the controls simpler for those who want it. NHL has the NHL96 mode, MLB the Show has a 1 button hit and pitch, Madden will call plays for you, and I was able to pick up and play NBA2k14 and enjoy it without much experience in basketball games in about 10 minutes.

they tried out that konami mlb game and that thing look like the hottest garbage on this side of mercury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom