• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I in the minority for preferring to play TES games in 3rd person? Unless I'm aiming a bow, of course.

It seems really hard to do that, just considering how the TES games are designed. They aren't built for the third person perspective, because you often need to carefully target stuff with the reticle. Like... items on a shelf and whatnot. That kind of subtle targeting is very hard to achieve from a more distant third person view.

So yeah, I personally would never play it out of the first person view.

Bacon

Just finished watching both Deadly Premonition endurance runs for the first time. Jeff and Ryan seemed to have wildly different reactions to the end. Did they ever discuss it further in podcasts or anything?
I remember searching for a sort of debrief after both runs ended when I finished watching the series last year and came up empty. Its definitely possible that I missed something though

FluxWaveZ

I remember searching for a sort of debrief after both runs ended when I finished watching the series last year and came up empty. Its definitely possible that I missed something though

The only time they talked about their experience meaningfully was in the GotY deliberations following the end of those Endurance Runs.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Just watched Vinnyvania Pt. 2. Man, Jeff's anticipatory evil grin at the end, right before Vinny "beat" Dracula is just priceless

wizard

Banned
It seems really hard to do that, just considering how the TES games are designed. They aren't built for the third person perspective, because you often need to carefully target stuff with the reticle. Like... items on a shelf and whatnot. That kind of subtle targeting is very hard to achieve from a more distant third person view.

So yeah, I personally would never play it out of the first person view.

I haven't had any problems aiming in 3rd person.

Cranzor

Did you guys see the Iron Galaxy Windjammers April Fools thing or did I just miss your reaction?

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/windjammers-h-def-announced-1479206/

2615424-windjammers_title.png

2615425-windjammers1.png

2615426-windjammers2.png

hamchan

Haha, Elder Scrolls Online QL split into different parts. Always love Giant Bomb pushing the boundaries of what the term "quick look" means.

I stopped watching the Elder Scrolls Online "quick" look after about an hour and a half, I was expecting it to be almost done. It ended up being almost 4 hours, madness.

ESO just looks dull as hell. Heaven knows that I don't gush about Skyrim's design, but it's good for wasting a lot of time. ESO looks like the worst of Elder Scrolls crossed with a bog standard MMO. I appreciate the guys trying to temper the somewhat overdone ire against the game, but I could not keep watching.

I wish all MMOs were as pretty as the Secret World. Some janky textures all over ESO. Then again I've been playing modded Skyrim for a while so I don't remember what the base game looked like to compare ESO to.

Bacon

Anyone have impressions on the alt f1 podcast? Couldn't care less about F1 but I do like both Danny and Drew. Also, is there any podcast that Danny is on that I should check out. I know he does the point now, but is that available in an audio format?

skynidas

Banned
Anyone have impressions on the alt f1 podcast? Couldn't care less about F1 but I do like both Danny and Drew. Also, is there any podcast that Danny is on that I should check out. I know he does the point now, but is that available in an audio format?

Listen to the first episodes, i like them but I also like the f1 so i Don't know. And no, the lobby is only on video format for obvious reasons.

Eoin

It's pretty good, but if your not watching the races, you're not going to get much out of it.

BearPawB

Banned

listening to it made me get into f1 this season. So if you are interested in doing that it is a good idea.

Jintor

i'm really in the mood for a big-ass bethesda game for some reason

idk i don't even really enjoy them that much but i want to play one

a new one, that is.

Aaron

listening to it made me get into f1 this season. So if you are interested in doing that it is a good idea.
Same here. I've been watching highlights along with the cast, since I don't have time for the full race. Has been pretty entertaining.

a new one, that is.

Just mod one of the ones you didnt spend that much time with out the ass and it'll practically be completely new for you.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is this the first 2-part quick look?

a new one, that is.

Get New vegas, mod the shit out of it so the shooting isn't terrible, and enjoy that.

TES Online seems incredibly boring.
Watching someone play the first few hours of any mmo is probably going to be pretty boring. Even though Jeff wasn't super pumped about the game I'm glad he seemed to at least give it a fair shot. That being said, I'm having a ton of fun with the game. This is coming from someone who had almost completely written it off. I bought it Sunday night on a whim because I was bored and curious. I was really pissed off with myself for wasting money on a bad game the entire time it was installing. But then, after a few hours of play I realized I was having a really good time with it. Looking on gaf and reddit it seems even people that hated the beta are really liking the final product. Basically, right now I feel like it is my responsibility to let people know that the game doesn't suck because up until a few days ago I had just assumed it was going to be a $100 million turd and I feel like a lot of people are going to miss out on a fun game because of the negative beta impressions.

demidar

The fact that they (Bethesda) somehow made a game with worse combat than a game with one of the worst combat systems in the industry (Skyrim) is quite a feat.

Phatmac

It's kind of strange seeing such a backlash to a game that seems really similar to Skyrim. I know it's an MMO and all but the hate just seems harsh. TESO just doesn't look terrible to me.

Volotaire

It's kind of strange seeing such a backlash to a game that seems really similar to Skyrim. I know it's an MMO and all but the hate just seems harsh. TESO just doesn't look terrible to me.

Even though I wasn't too kind too Skyrim (despite sinking many hours into that game), I agree that it looks like a mediocre game. Seems competent. The animation looks like junk from the 20 minutes I glanced over the quick look. I'm surprised how similar the game looks to a typical Elder Scrolls experience.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Haha, the skeleton golem killing every enemy and then jeff taking all the credit was pretty funny.

Problem with ESO for me is the sense of scale. I don't feel it too much in skyrim seeing that it's single player, but for an MMO ESO feels really barren.

I need to go back and watch the ESO quick look. I started last night and was actually quite impressed by how much it seemed like Skyrim but I ended up falling asleep so missed the majority of it.

Myomoto

My experience with TESO has been a shittier playing Skyrim where my progress is hindered by other players stealing my crafting mats in front of me or generally being in the way.

Phatmac

I think I'm one of the few people left on Gaf that loved Skyrim without feeling bad about it later on. I'd like to play this but I don't see myself spending $15 bucks a month for it. Hopefully it goes free to play in a year or so.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think I'm one of the few people left on Gaf that loved Skyrim without feeling bad about it later on. I'd like to play this but I don't see myself spending $15 bucks a month for it. Hopefully it goes free to play in a year or so.

I spent more than 150 hours with Skyrim and I don't regrett it. It was a fantastic game but I'm glad I played as a stealth/magic character cause the "normal" combat system was really, really, really bad. Seems like this didn't change in TSO.
I'd probably be more interested in a multiplayer mode for Skyrim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom