• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jokab

I haven't been to this thread for a while so can someone summarize to me which GB member do we hate this week and why? It's obviously either Patrick or Brad, as always.

Patrick by a long shot. Don't know the specifics, but something about a tweet about doxxing.

Zaph

Domain registration is publicly available, and you can register a domain anonymously if you wish to stay private. He didn't make any effort to request anonymity or indicate that that's what he wanted. That's why sharing his name is not doxing, it's reporting.
Not saying it's doxing at all. I'm saying it's incredibly childish.

The point I'm making is that you often hear game journalists (Patrick included) refer to certain developers as "not public figures" all the time - the recent Pete Dodd/Col Rodgers is a perfect example where Col was described as a exactly that. Yet he is in the credits of his games, which are publicly available. That's not exactly hidden (don't get me wrong, what Dodd did is in a different league, no comparison).

So does having a twitter account (which does not promote the game) or not using an anonymising domain service automatically make you a 'public' figure?

I think Jeff just really liked Divekick. He also had to fight pretty god damn hard to get it on there.

Plus he wasn't the only one who liked it (unlike Syndicate where that was very much his push)

Just listened to Bombing and is this the new "overreactions to what they do on the show" segment of the thread?

I don't see what Alex did wrong to be honest and he dropped it as quickly as he could.
Did he read the lady correctly? maybe, maybe not but hey.

As for the whole threes thing, eh shit happens (in regards to what happened and how it was reported) imo

He could have easily mentioned who the guy was without linking directly to the WhoIs details. Yes, anyone could go look them up themselves if they really wanted. Just seems kinda messy to me.

Even then, as Patrick said there is no mention of the game on his Twitter/Facebook. So who is to say he had any direct involvement in it going up and not someone else at the company?

Mesoian

He could have easily mentioned who the guy was without linking directly to the WhoIs details. Yes, anyone could go look them up themselves if they really wanted. Just seems kinda messy to me.

When his twitter is literally his name which is also on the whois, what is the difference?

LackingSaint

Neo Member
For a thread dedicated to GiantBomb, you guys sure do lack any kind of trust in the staff of GiantBomb. "Divekick got in the GOTY list because of developer connections"? For real?

Mesoian

For a thread dedicated to GiantBomb, you guys sure do lack any kind of trust in the staff of GiantBomb. "Divekick got in the GOTY list because of developer connections"? For real?

Seriously. "GOD, these guys are such shills for their friends by giving their game positive scores when it's genuinely good. I can never trust what they ever say again. But I'm still going to go there every day and watch every piece of content so I can complain about it."

I'm a little skeeved out that Patrick just tweeted out the Twitter address of the guy behind 2048 who refused to talk to him for the story. Given his following, he has to see that he's just leading to a bunch of people harassing the guy.

At that point, you've become the story itself. It seems really unprofessional, frankly.

EDIT: Looks like Patrick deleted that tweet, which I think was the right move. I don't understand how he can't see it as a call to harass the guy. Sure, the guy may have done some scummy things, but I'd like to think that Patrick is better than that.

One important thing that gets often ignored is that a bullied person can become a bully himself/herself.

Patrick usual thinking of "speak your thoughts to the harassers" tend to give me the idea that he is a times in this line.

Good that he deleted it.

the conspiracy theory stuff is annoying, but so are some of the overly defensive reactions. especially when it's just dismissive "so who do you guys hate this week" comments when there are legitimate criticisms about Patrick's way of reporting the Threes story.

Zaph

This bullshit will never go away. Jeff put fucking Syndicate on their GOTY - it's quite obvious if he enjoys a game he doesn't care what the general consensus outside (or even inside) GB is. Which is the point of GOTY.

Mesoian

This bullshit will never go away. Jeff put fucking Syndicate on their GOTY - it's quite obvious if he enjoys a game he doesn't care what the general consensus outside (or even inside) GB is. Which is the point of GOTY.

That and Syndicate is fuckin' boss. It was on my GOTY list too.

That's a real straw man of an analogy. Antoine Morcos's twitter is literally @AntoineMorcos. Which is publicly searchable. Any arbitrary person was like 0.5 seconds from finding that twitter after reading the name. Patrick even did him a favor by misspelling his name "Antonie" in the article, which made it take me a full second to find him!
lol

I really don't want to be the Patrick Defense Force here, but I think we oughta be precise in our criticisms.

I think the issue isn't that the name is publicly or privately available but leaving the twitter address commenting on that person not willing to talk is hoping social media will do what it often does.
Its that following the article about harassment of FlappyBird creator when a game-journo guy put the guy's twitter on the article about "ripping off the pipes" from a game.

Patrick is still an amazing guy willing to do research and try new games but again, but stuff like this is not the way to present your argument.

Wait, Patrick shares/sits next to the guys that created Threes? Shouldn't that be in the article, at least for disclosure sake?

Megasoum

Banned
In the end what really annoys me about the whole thing is how hypocrite Patrick is in that situation.

He's the one who uses his tribune constantly on Giantbomb to write and talk about intimidation and harassment on the web (rightfully so) and then he goes and send his followers to hunt somebody who DARED not replying to his requests for an interview that would have been automatically negative about him and his company. Give me a fucking break.

Patryn

That's a real straw man of an analogy. Antoine Morcos's twitter is literally @AntoineMorcos. Which is publicly searchable. Any arbitrary person was like 0.5 seconds from finding that twitter after reading the name. Patrick even did him a favor by misspelling his name "Antonie" in the article, which made it take me a full second to find him!
lol

I really don't want to be the Patrick Defense Force here, but I think we oughta be precise in our criticisms.

The problem is that when you have someone who has a following such as Patrick (just shy of 53k followers) tweet out a statement that indicates displeasure with a person followed by their Twitter address, it doesn't take a psychic to see how that could easily lead to a campaign of harassment against that person.

Like it or not, Patrick wields a measure of power. I just feel that he needs to be more judicious in how he directs that power.

Mesoian

On the WhoIs which he linked to. I don't have much issue with him saying the guys name but not sure there was actually any need to link to it.

I mean, there's no difference then. His twitter is his name, his name is on the whois which is publically available, so providing a link is suddenly a call to action?

You guys are, literally, telling Patrick to not attach names to stories because it might make the people within those stories uncomfortable.

Brakke

Banned
Not saying it's doxing at all. I'm saying it's incredibly childish.

The point I'm making is that you often hear game journalists (Patrick included) refer to certain developers as "not public figures" all the time - the recent Pete Dodd/Col Rodgers is a perfect example where Col was described as a exactly that. Yet he is in the credits of his games, which are publicly available. That's not exactly hidden (don't get me wrong, what Dodd did is in a different league, no comparison).

So does having a twitter account (which does not promote the game) or not using an anonymising domain service automatically make you a 'public' figure?

Totally fair. This is one of those "bad facts make bad laws" cases where of course people are going to be on Rodgers's team because he's a sweet man who stepped down from a cool job to take care of his kid, while this Morcos guy is involved in a pretty exploitative not-creative operations.

The problem is that when you have someone who has a following such as Patrick (just shy of 53k followers) tweet out a statement that indicates displeasure with a person followed by their Twitter address, it doesn't take a psychic to see how that could easily lead to a campaign of harassment against that person.

Like it or not, Patrick wields a measure of power. I just feel that he needs to be more judicious in how he directs that power.

Also totally fair. It is different to put the thing directly on Twitter divorced from any kind of proper context; the barrier to reaching out is much lower when you can just click a name and type something nasty instead of having to pop a search.

No question Patrick dropped some balls here.

I think the issue isn't that the name is publicly or privately available but leaving the twitter address commenting on that person not willing to talk is hoping social media will do what it often does.
Its that following the article about harassment of FlappyBird creator when a game-journo guy put the guy's twitter on the article about "ripping off the pipes" from a game.

Patrick is still an amazing guy willing to do research and try new games but again, but stuff like this is not the way to present your argument.

Wait, Patrick shares/sits next to the guys that created Threes? Shouldn't that be in the article, at least for disclosure sake?

At the bottom of the article:
(Full disclosure: On some afternoons, I work in the same office as Wohlwend.)

Patryn

I mean, there's no difference then. His twitter is his name, his name is on the whois which is publically available, so providing a link is suddenly a call to action?

You guys are, literally, telling Patrick to not attach names to stories because it might make the people within those stories uncomfortable.

I didn't necessarily have a problem with him including it in the story. It had some relevance to his presenting his theory that the guy was the one behind 2048.

I have a problem with a tweet that basically read as:

"Hey, people. Here's the twitter name of the person who refused to talk to me: @NAME"

What, may I ask you, is the point of that tweet? It reads to me that he's asking his followers to tweet at the person and ask him why he didn't talk to Patrick. Even if they were being nice, that's borderline harassment.

I more or less agree with Patrick's viewpoints on most issues, but I am increasingly finding myself really turned off by the way he expresses those viewpoints. There is something about his approach that just rubs me the wrong way.

This is my problem often in threads about "social awareness". I agree with the general ideasand viewpoints, but how is often expressed... ugh.

Hope Patrick take a look to himself.

Well there is a difference when I'm not talking about mentioning the guys name. I'm talking about linking directly to the WhoIs which has other details. Should the guy use private hosting solutions? Probably. Could anyone look up his details if they wanted to? Yes.

My point is was there any need for Patrick to link to that in the article? If people are going to be dicks they're going to be dicks but Patrick knows as much as anyone about issues on the internet it just feels a little bit messy.

The tweet is a separate issue.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I've watched two live streams Max has tagged along on and he's thrown the same "unemployed dregs of society" insult at the chat both times. He's kidding, surely, but you don't really expect people representing giant bomb to speak to their audience like that.

I've watched two live streams Max has tagged along on and he's thrown the same "unemployed dregs of society" insult at the chat both times. He's kidding, surely, but you don't really expect people representing giant bomb to speak to their audience like that.

I find Max to be really abrasive in giving his opinions, definitely rubs me the wrong way.

Dave Lang dislikes dogs and Europeans. I just don't know if I can ever look at that man the same way again.

If he hates cats too then it's ok. but if i find out that he's a cat person im going to email sony to get a refund on SF3 and Divekick and will wait out Borderlands 2 on the vita until it's free for psn.

Mesoian

Even though all of the core guys have said something similar on livestream before?

Oh come on.

Jokab

He is hardly representing Giant Bomb. And furthermore, he's obviously joking and I personally think it's silly to take any kind of offense.

Zaph

Max has a free pass for pretty anything after the amazing E3 stream with him winding up that Gearbox coke head for a solid 30 minutes.

I find it harder and harder to visit the GB threads because it's always full of oversensitive people who read too much into nothing. This comment isn't directed towards yours it's directed towards people who shit on patrick because he actually gives a shit about the journalistic part of the industry and has morals and it's to people who read way, way, way too much into sarcastic and joke remarks made on live shows/podcast and they try to make something out of nothing.
Oh fuck off with this. Nobody is above criticism, especially when they're exhibiting traits of the very thing they've been advocating against for months.

This is the Giant Bomb Thread. Not the Giant Bomb Praise Only Thread.

styl3s

I find it harder and harder to visit the GB threads because it's always full of oversensitive people who read too much into nothing. This comment isn't directed towards yours it's directed towards people who shit on patrick because he actually gives a shit about the journalistic part of the industry and has morals and it's to people who read way, way, way too much into sarcastic and joke remarks made on live shows/podcast and they try to make something out of nothing.

Sorry, dude, but when they ignored vinny that one time it deserved like 50 posts. Sorry you can't handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom