• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
I don't hate him, but I can't say I've ever enjoyed him on anything either.

Yeah, he just isn't funny and doesn't add anything. Lang is great and i would greatly prefer to see more Lang employees on future shows but Patrick is so close with Max now im guessing he will be a permanent feature.

Bacon

I find Max to be pretty grating in all the GB shit he's involved in. I don't think he adds much and throws off the chemistry a lot of the time. Admittedly I haven't watched much of the Chicago stuff, but he annoys me when he's in SF.

yatesl

Matt Rorie, and his seemingly complete lack of the industry general knowledge (despite having worked on a game himself), always makes me laugh.

I can't pick an example from the top of my head, but I wouldn't be surprised if he said he's only ever paid attention to PC games.

Matt Rorie, and his seemingly complete lack of the industry general knowledge (despite having worked on a game himself), always makes me laugh.

I can't pick an example from the top of my head, but I wouldn't be surprised if he said he's only ever paid attention to PC games.
He has paid attention to console games don't be ridiculous.

dan2026

Matt Rorie is literally the best thing on Giant Bomb.

On Dracula : 'He's like a flasher who shoots fireballs instead of penises!'

His execution was better than that though, he didn't say the penis part until after a few seconds as if to clarify the concept to anyone who might not have understood it.

Patryn

We're probably going to need an emergency Power Bombcast after WM/tomorrow's Raw.

I believe they said they were going to do another Power Bombcast shortly after WM, instead of a month after. Could see it later this week or early next.

I find Max to be pretty grating in all the GB shit he's involved in. I don't think he adds much and throws off the chemistry a lot of the time. Admittedly I haven't watched much of the Chicago stuff, but he annoys me when he's in SF.

I feel he comes off kinda creepy... especially during the GDC Show. I felt bad for Zoe? (I believe that was her) during the show.

sub_o

Rorie is the best thing happened to GiantBomb, as a product manager, he takes his time to reply most of users' questions. He seems to be jovial guy that doesn't put any air.

Aaron

I thought Spelunky was a boring game with bad controls. Surprised the fervor that surrounds it. Seems like something for OCD people to latch onto.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Oh good lord patrick has another podcast talking to derek yu about spelunky?

Dude is obsessed.
It's just the dumptruck interview that led to the article. Apparently he uploads them later now. Same thing with the Threes interview.

Oh good lord patrick has another podcast talking to derek yu about spelunky?

Dude is obsessed.
Isn't it just the raw interview he ran as an article last week? Not sure why that's shocking, he did that for most of his interviews now.

the mobile clones tirade was weird until I read that he works in the same office as the guy who makes Threes

then it became kind of eyebrow raising
As if that's some sort of nefarious thing that casts doubt upon his intentions or motivations? He's been upfront about that the entire time. The Threes story was already being covered elsewhere, and Patrick had easy access to someone involved. Seems logical to me.

I thought Spelunky was a boring game with bad controls. Surprised the fervor that surrounds it. Seems like something for OCD people to latch onto.

Different strokes for different folks. To me the controls are on the same level as any Mario game. One of those games were you can actually feel like you've achieved something, which is very rare theses days.

It's one of my favourite games of all time.

Rorie is the best thing happened to GiantBomb, as a product manager, he takes his time to reply most of users' questions. He seems to be jovial guy that doesn't put any air.
When I lost my job awhile back and I had to cancel my ongoing subscription, I put that as the "reason for leaving." Much to my surprise, Matt Rorie took the time to reply back to me and offer his condolences. I really didn't expect that. My respect for the man shot way up that day.

Rorie seems such a good dude. Was so happy when he got the job at GB after the crap with screened and beyond.

I like Patrick. I just wish he played games I liked or was interested in. But I do understand I'm in the minority in not liking Dark Souls or Spelunky.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Warning: Do not do this "PM me for secret links" shit on the forum.

All they're doing is sharing the old/out of sync version of UPF for premium members of Giant Bomb because it was removed from the main site. They simply haven't uploaded a proper version. No piracy involved.

All they're doing is sharing the old/out of sync version of UPF for premium members of Giant Bomb because it was removed from the main site. They simply haven't uploaded a proper version. No piracy involved.
Exactly. The only reason they're doing it via PM is so non-subscribers don't get free access. Afaik, there's nothing shady going on here.

justjim89

Man, Jeff is gonna be extra salty about Brock Lesnar ending The Undertaker's streak.

Wresltemania was a great show, but that deflated the crowd like nothing I've ever seen.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Man, Jeff is gonna be extra salty about Brock Lesnar ending The Undertaker's streak.

Wresltemania was a great show, but that deflated the crowd like nothing I've ever seen.

No matter what happened last night, Brock Lesnar still woke up this morning looking stupid in the face.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Rorie seems such a good dude. Was so happy when he got the job at GB after the crap with screened and beyond.

Man that shit with Gamespy was heartbreaking. They closed down one month after hiring him if I remember correctly?
He is a good guy and really seems like a community person. I only wish he'd be on the bombcast and QLs more often.

yatesl

Don't get me wrong, he's a super nice and innocent guy - I just feel he's the weakest member of the group (as I'm not a big fan of his humour).

But then, I got in to Giant Bomb after Patrick was a mainstay guy, when I know everyone saw him as the "new kid".

Haunted

Despite having worked on both sides, Rorie is clearly the least interested and the least involved in videogame culture out of all the guys working at GB.

I can see how that wouldn't gel with some fans.

Jokab

Exactly. The only reason they're doing it via PM is so non-subscribers don't get free access. Afaik, there's nothing shady going on here.

I discussed this with duckroll in PM (which by the way anyone should do if there is a problem with moderation), and the reason was that it shat up the thread with "PM me the link!!" which hindered actual discussion, not piracy. Fair enough I say.

I discussed this with duckroll in PM (which by the way anyone should do if there is a problem with moderation), and the reason was that it shat up the thread with "PM me the link!!" which hindered actual discussion, not piracy. Fair enough I say.
Gotta save this thread for who would make the best dad discussion!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This is false equivalence personified. You can't just tell people to deal with it when they are spending their own money on something. Anyone here who pays for premium has a right to be disappointed. It doesn't matter what their work schedule is, nor should it. I fully understand their situation, but it is not my responsibility to cut them any slack if they don't come through with premium content. You have to see both sides here instead of just being a blind sycophant and defending the site whenever someone takes issue with something.

My point was that anyone who is disappointed is totally justified and its insane that anyone would try to say they can't be.

But you're acting as if you're not getting what you paid for even though you absolutely are, just two days later.

Part of buying a premium membership isn't "All live streams will go up the same day."

You're saying "it's not my responsibility to cut them any slack if they don't come through with premium content" but thats absolutely not the case. They already came through the with the premium content (you could have watched it live) and they're coming through with the other part of the premium content (the archive) later on.

ArjanN

Despite having worked on both sides, Rorie is clearly the least interested and the least involved in videogame culture out of all the guys working at GB.

I can see how that wouldn't gel with some fans.

Videogame culture maybe, I think he actually might play more than some of the other guys though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom