• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now GiantBomb is even dismissing NPD numbers as wholly inaccurate, and not fully representative. Acting as if no one cares about NPD now, since they are wrong and therefore irrelevant. However it was relevant enough for Jeff to make a prediction last week that the Xbox would win March.

So why have this viewpoint now?

Because of their colleagues at other websites? When everyone else, GBomb and even Microsoft had no issue the last 7 years trumpeting the NPD's, but now that things have shifted they wish to jump right in behind other media peoples trying to lead the charge against the NPD reports.

While they all love to talk trash about the NeoGaf minions and forum fanboys, they clearly read it all, considering their talking points seemingly come straight from these threads here. So with that... my subscription ended recently, and i will not be re-subbing.

Jeff has been doing this for months on the podcast

FStop7

Banned
So now GiantBomb is even dismissing NPD numbers as wholly inaccurate, and not fully representative. Acting as if no one cares about NPD now, since they are wrong and therefore irrelevant. However it was relevant enough for Jeff to make a prediction last week that the Xbox would win March.

Because of their colleagues at other websites? When everyone else, GBomb and even Microsoft had no issue the last 7 years trumpeting the NPD's, but now that things have shifted they wish to jump right in behind other media peoples trying to lead the charge against the NPD reports.

While they all love to talk trash about the NeoGaf minions and forum fanboys, they clearly read it all, considering their talking points seemingly come straight from these threads here. So with that... my subscription ended recently, and i will not be re-subbing.

#FOLLOWTHEMONEY

Patryn

So, uh... when has Jeff trumpeted NPD numbers?

graboids

Maybe Lang & Iron Galaxy can take over season 2 of KSR and add in some Windjamming...

2624282-wj.jpg

People just now deciding to be dismissive about NPD numbers is a little gross (not talking about Jeff specifically, I think he just doesn't give a shit about them), but it's pretty par for the course. If the way they cover news/issues ever starts having a major impact on how entertaining Giant Bomb is it'll be a bigger issue (for me, at least), but now it seems more like a kind of annoying thing that I figured people would be used to by now. Most of them can be pretty cynical and contrarian, but except for a few cases it seems like they're more jaded than anything. I guess if you look at them as more of a typical gaming site (and not an entertainment/comedy site that covers games), it's a bigger issue.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This Hearthstone video with Patrick complaining about high level cards is pretty amusing.

erawsd

He's right though, especially with digital sales ballooning no one should see this data as anything more than a loose guideline. I have not seen, heard, or read everything bit of giant bomb content but I can't ever recall them "trumpeting" NPD data. A quick search shows they've only once ever posted NPD news and that was in April 2011.

If there was an agenda they probably wouldn't have shitted on the Xbox sales the way they did and made the distinction of shipped vs sold. This whole Sony persecution delusion is getting ridiculous.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Multinational companies don't create press releases discussing irrelevant sales data, no matter what Patrick or Ben Kuchera would like you to believe.

KarmaCow

Just watched the Kinect Sports quick look and wow talk about completely missing the mark. Is there some setting their missing to speed up actually getting to play a game? It would be insane if they actually made a game like that with tons of unskippable cutscenes and mind numbingly slow tutorials. Having to sit through the entire scanning tutorial when making a new character is just stupid. Rare has fallen so far. :(

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Um, I lost the link to the Giant Bomb: [PREMIUM] Super Professional Wednesdays...what gives?

Home page doesn't even show it anymore

Khezu

I can't recall Giant Bomb ever talking about NPD data, except in one or two occasions, and only in response to emails.

Liamc723

Is it just me who doesn't find Dave Lang and co that funny and entertaining, like at all? Their streams are never as good as the Unprofessional Fridays in my opinion.

Kinect Sports Rivals seemed like it could actually be fun if there was a way to skip through all that tutorial nonsense that they were missing. Having every game have those set ups would have me walking away quickly. The bit at the end with vinny dancing/jumping about and the tennis player following him was actually pretty impressive. Will grab it at 20 bucks.

If nothing else I hope that avatar system makes it way to the Xbox One's OS. Really enjoyed it on the 360.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
We approached the "PC version is the way to go" stage rather quickly this time around.
The big upside of console gaming was always that you could sit down and go, but with system updates, patches, DLC and now these weirdly long loading times, that is also completely gone. I actually don't understand the loading. Every game loads just so much faster on my PC, and I have my games on my old ass HDD.

He's right though, especially with digital sales ballooning no one should see this data as anything more than a loose guideline. I have not seen, heard, or read everything bit of giant bomb content but I can't ever recall them "trumpeting" NPD data. A quick search shows they've only once ever posted NPD news and that was in April 2011.

If there was an agenda they probably wouldn't have shitted on the Xbox sales the way they did and made the distinction of shipped vs sold. This whole Sony persecution delusion is getting ridiculous.
But NPD numbers should be pretty accurat for hardware data, no? I don't think that guy was talking about software.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is it just me who doesn't find Dave Lang and co that funny and entertaining, like at all? Their streams are never as good as the Unprofessional Fridays in my opinion.

funny or not, I do find it a bit gross that there is now basically a "GB friends" official part in the website, friends from the industry no less.

im not talking about money hat conspiracies here, but it does look shady. I mean, their close relationship with some people / studios in the industry was always a bit iffy, but having actual content be a part of the site now, is a bit much in my opinion

Zaph

Dave Lang is amazing, but he really has to carry the show. Patrick is great, but not really an entertainer. The other two guys are too quiet. They need to find just one more person in the studio who's good on camera.

The big upside of console gaming was always that you could sit down and go, but with system updates, patches, DLC and now these weirdly long loading times, that is also completely gone. I actually don't understand the loading. Every game loads just so much faster on my PC, and I have my games on my old ass HDD.
Yup, it's super weird - I guarantee this gen we'll see the first major AAA game to have some type of graphics option. Probably a simple slider with "Graphics" at one end and "Smoothness" at the other.

funny or not, I do find it a bit gross that there is now basically a "GB friends" official part in the website, friends from the industry no less.

im not talking about money hat conspiracies here, but it does look shady. I mean, their close relationship with some people / studios in the industry was always a bit iffy, but having actual content be a part of the site now, is a bit much in my opinion
I see where you're coming from, but since launch, Giant Bomb has kinda pioneered a lot of the video content other sites now do as standard. IMO this type of satellite studio is an extension of that philosophy. They may not get it perfect, and some people will question how appropriate it is (it could be considered advertorial), but it's still completely unique nevertheless.

shwimpy

Dave Lang is amazing, but he really has to carry the show. Patrick is great, but not really a entertainer. The other two guys are too quiet. They need to find just one more person in the studio who's good on camera.
Max Temkin is quiet? I wish...

Brakke

Banned
Multinational companies don't create press releases discussing irrelevant sales data, no matter what Patrick or Ben Kuchera would like you to believe.

For console numbers, sure they do. That's why these games always happen with sell-through vs shipped-to-retailers. Irrelevant's not the right word, maybe, but misleading is. Certainly lots of cases of companies intentionally framing things in a not apples-to-apples way. Hell Apple's had several cases of lumping devices into various categories that end up obscuring how much of the total comes from which component.

why

Liamc723

Dave Lang is amazing, but he really has to carry the show. Patrick is great, but not really a entertainer. The other two guys are too quiet. They need to find just one more person in the studio who's good on camera..

Yeah I think you're right, Dave is definitely the most charismatic out of the bunch and it would be better if they had a Jeff/Vinny-esgue person there too to make it a lot more entertaining. I know that would get me more interested, because right now I feel like the others are just their for the ride, I don't even know their names apart from Patrick.

I am almost certain they mentioned because the NPD doesn't include digital sales/downloads.

But NPD numbers should be pretty accurat for hardware data, no? I don't think that guy was talking about software.

Me and a few other folks have pondered that PCs are becoming console-like and consoles are becoming PC-like, but it isnt 100% improvement on both sides.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

I actually see it the other way around. They don't hide the fact that they are close to some devs, for me it would be more of a problem if they did try to hide it.
I have to say though I really don't care about most of Patrick's video content. I like the dude but I've never found any solo videos he did that entertaining, besides Spooking. But whatever, it's not like I have to watch them.

erawsd

I think the bombcast was talking about software when they started discussing the accuracy of the numbers. The hardware numbers they talked about are the ones released by MS and Sony, and they actually make fun of MS for releasing shipped-to numbers.

Dave Lang on TNT talking about games he worked on is one of the most interesting videos GB has ever done as far as I'm concerned. The "Friends of Giant Bomb" sitting around talking about games is always super interesting. If they're just sitting around telling each other to go fuck themselves it can get a bit dull. If I wanted that I just go tell my friends to go fuck themselves.

It's not news to me that I don't like the Kinect, but I just don't get why people think that forcing it into the box will somehow lead to cool or innovative uses that developers just haven't thought of yet. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and all that... I am happy, however, that the Kinect can lead to such entertaining GB content. That quick look had me laughing the whole way through.

As for the NPD stuff, I really, really didn't like how dismissive Patrick and Alex were in the Bombin' segment. For someone as vocal as Patrick, he sure likes to protect his own and dismiss Neogaf or other commoners by painting with as broad a brush as possible. Look, the NPD data doesn't mean that one system has 'won' anything at this point, but there is a lot of meaningful discussion to be had. I am suddenly more interested in E3 because I know Microsoft is going to have to be aggressive. That said, it felt to me that the whole 'meaningless' angle was more group-think, which I think Patrick falls victim to quite a bit.

But with Jeff, come on, man. That guy has never trumpeted NPD numbers. Also, aren't those guys mainly leaning toward PS4 versions of multiplatform games now? Jeff seems to always be playing the PS4 versions of games, and I think outright stated he preferred that system up to this point in time. I think sometimes you guys are way too quick to connect dots. If anything, we should be upset that every gaming journalist defends one another no matter how stupid or wrongheaded the position is. There isn't the grand Microsoft conspiracy that people seem to want to exist.

I actually thought the face scanning along with the art style was pretty cool. A younger me would have gone fucking nuts over that tech being in a wrestling game.

I actually thought the face scanning along with the art style was pretty cool. A younger me would have gone fucking nuts over that tech being in a wrestling game.

Yeah i was mesmerized by all the floating fancy particles and blocks during that part. The gameplay seemed kinda weak, but it did look really nice visually.

Wereroku

I think the bombcast was talking about software when they started discussing the accuracy of the numbers. The hardware numbers they talked about are the ones released by MS and Sony, and they actually make fun of MS for releasing shipped-to numbers.

They were talking about software npd numbers. They followed it up with the point of digital becoming much more important. I don't think they meant the hardware numbers were questionable.

Are real long load times a on going thing on XB1?

I remember them pointing it out during the launch stream and I think they mentioned it during the Titanfall QL as well. Pretty painful in the Kinect Sports QL.

BUT the facial creation stuff worked surprisingly well. Could have used a few small tweaks but overall it spat out a decent Jeff and Vinny

Dany

Banned
Id say the Kinect is incredibly more responsive...its just that those are not hte games that should utilize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom