• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Is there a way I can make it clear my $5 for next month is directly a result of Danny's drunken Irish pub reenactment during Gang Beasts? Like a memo line on the payment. Maybe I can pay by check for May...

I cannot see them topping this set...

iXlXI0wEWCsXg.gif
Hell if I'm gonna underestimate their location scouting.
2492616-0334753616-clkOx.jpg

And uh... Brad has put on some weight, eh?

Isn't there a warning in the OP that says 'Don't be creepy.' I know these guys are like our version of Heat magazine or something but damn, do we have to go complete bitchyness? 'She looks like she's got botox.' 'OMG, did you see Sarah? She has got so fat.'

Every time I see this I'm like, 'I thought we liked these guys for their personalities and sense of humour' but I guess I'm wrong. To the catwalk with you, Shoemaker(!)

Zabant

Isn't there a warning in the OP that says 'Don't be creepy.' I know these guys are like our version of Heat magazine or something but damn, do we have to go complete bitchyness? 'She looks like she's got botox.' 'OMG, did you see Sarah? She has got so fat.'

Every time I see this I'm like, 'I thought we liked these guys for their personalities and sense of humour' but I guess I'm wrong. To the catwalk with you, Shoemaker(!)

I find it more odd how quick you are to jump to his defence.

If you put yourself in the spotlight then you have to expect stuff like this, and this isn't even an insult it's a damn observation. Nobody ever has issues with talking about Jeff losing weight, growing a beard or getting a new girlfriend, shit he happily talks about it himself on his tumblr.

Let people say what they want, as long as it isn't straight up bad mouthing him saying he's dumb or something subjective like that. These guys are basically celebs, it's their bread and butter and they know it and it's why folks come back.

I find it more odd how quick you are to jump to his defence.

If you put yourself in the spotlight then you have to expect stuff like this, and this isn't even an insult it's a damn observation. Nobody ever has issues with talking about Jeff losing weight, growing a beard or getting a new girlfriend, shit he happily talks about it himself on his tumblr.

Let people say what they want, as long as it isn't straight up bad mouthing him saying he's dumb or something subjective like that. These guys are basically celebs, it's their bread and butter and they know it and it's why folks come back.

Growing a beard, losing weight and getting a girlfriend are all effectively good things to happen to someone (especially the beard growing part). Saying someone is 'putting on weight' is in fact the opposite of that. Would you say that to someones face? No, you wouldn't. We all know that Brad reads this thread from time to time, let's just, keep it classy.

Dragon

Banned
Growing a beard, losing weight and getting a girlfriend are all effectively good things to happen to someone (especially the beard growing part). Saying someone is 'putting on weight' is in fact the opposite of that. Would you say that to someones face? No, you wouldn't. We all know that Brad reads this thread from time to time, let's just, keep it classy.

To be honest, one of GB's greatest strengths is its lack of class. While I agree there's no reason to point out that he's gained weight, there's also no reason to be so vehement with the defense either.

Zabant

Meh, I just hate the hugbox mentality. It leads to nobody ever having the balls to speak up and give criticism about anything in fear of getting dog-piled on.

Finally listened to the NPD part of the podcast some people got in a tizzy about. That it?

They kind of got in and out of the subject pretty quick. "its great next gen only games are selling well, NPD's dont track digital sales and thats a really big chunk of the market thats only getting bigger, Oh and the Xbox One isnt doing so hot". Seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to say looking at the recent numbers.

Its not like they are pretending like the hardware data wasnt accurate which was what I expected.

Finally listened to the NPD part of the podcast some people got in a tizzy about. That it?

They kind of got in and out of the subject pretty quick. "its great next gen only games are selling well, NPD's dont track digital sales and thats a really big chunk of the market thats only getting bigger, Oh and the Xbox One isnt doing so hot". Seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to say looking at the recent numbers.

Its not like they are pretending like the hardware data wasnt accurate which was what I expected.

People are probably on edge because other websites and personalities have, in the past, paid a lot more attention and hyped up NPDs when it suited their console of choice, or when the Xbox One did outsell the PS4 for that one month. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if people are still upset/bitter about the way Brad and Patrick acted during the PS4 and Xbox One reveals, they way Patrick compared it all to an election cycle where people choosing the PS4 or Xbox One were doing so for partisan and not substantive reasons, or their "Sony is doing all of this DRM stuff too, and we all know it, but we can't tell you why we know it or give any evidence of it; just trust us". I remember people getting upset about those last three things specifically in regard to Giant Bomb.

For what it's worth, I thought the NPD segment was appropriately brief on the podcast, and though I've zoned out over the last month of emails (mostly due to the dead horse that is the country rivalry emails) they've had several where people mention that retail outlets are noticeably not selling Xbox Ones to the same degree of the PS4, so it's not like they are hiding the bad Microsoft news or anything.

Chuck

Still without luck
I think they're just tired of the arguments going on. They've been doing this rodeo for a while and they're definitely guilty of dumping on past consoles' launch woes, like the PlayStation 3's first year. At this point, they know it's too early to call.

I do with they'd at least talk about it all a little more though.

Zaph

5 mins into UPF and liking Peter, and funny/inappropriate Danny is the best!
Peter surprised me with his Jeff-like encyclopedic knowledge and hoarding of old games, while still being good on camera. Wouldn't mind seeing him pop up in more content, especially the next all-day retro stream.

He would also be a perfect partner-in-crime for Jeff in The Raid. Not like that will ever happen...

Part of the body scrutiny these days is surely due to the fact that this community lost an irreplaceable cornerstone to weight-related complications not even a year ago, right? There's a difference between being shitty to someone for kicks and expressing concern out of fear and grief. For some of us, it's uncomfortable to watch people start going down a bad path when we hoped that Ryan's death would at least have the silver lining of serving as a wakeup call for others.

I'm not saying people should or should not make comments on the subject, only that they're not necessarily borne of some weird malicious bullying mentality.

Great Unprofessional Friday this week. Will echo the sentiment that Peter is a great addition, would love to see him come in now and again like Danny.

I hope he and Danny are the ones doing most of GameSpot's E3 coverage, would make it much more fun/me more likely to watch.

Part of the body scrutiny these days is surely due to the fact that this community lost an irreplaceable cornerstone to weight-related complications not even a year ago, right? There's a difference between being shitty to someone for kicks and expressing concern out of fear and grief. For some of us, it's uncomfortable to watch people start going down a bad path when we hoped that Ryan's death would at least have the silver lining of serving as a wakeup call for others.

I'm not saying people should or should not make comments on the subject, only that they're not necessarily borne of some weird malicious bullying mentality.

People are unnecessarily defensive towards Giantbomb for some reason, you can't say anything negative without being ridiculed and belittled by the defenders/apologists.

If I was host I would have dropped a JoJo joke when Brad mentioned about having a Stand at a flea market.

Sigh, and these guys say they're still looking for new hires...

2625256-nihilanth.png

Nihilanth

@dannyodwyer #Shinjoko

@dannyodwyer and yes, there are women only carriages on some trains. I nearly walked into one from the platform. They are clearly marked.

Curufinwe

This is a truly horrendous post. Linking Ryan's death and Brad's appearance is just appalling and totally nonsensical.

Zaph

People are unnecessarily defensive towards Giantbomb for some reason, you can't say anything negative without being ridiculed and belittled by the defenders/apologists.
No, some of us just have some tact and feel discussing somebody's weight serves no purpose other than to make them uncomfortable should they read the thread.

Curufinwe

No, some of us just have some tact and feel discussing somebody's weight serves no purpose other than to make them uncomfortable should they read the thread.

The fact that someone actually just said that its fine to talk about Brad's weight because its motivated by fear and concern that he's on a path towards eating himself to an early grave is proof this thread contains people with literally no idea of how to interact with other human beings.

Zoggy

what in the fuck...

2536312-2379004-jeff_headshake.gif

This is a truly horrendous post. Linking Ryan's death and Brad's appearance is just appalling and totally nonsensical.

I love watching these guys. I hope Giant Bomb keeps producing content for years and years. I've also known people close to me in real life who have had serious complications due to their weight. Ryan's death was one of several experiences I've had that illustrated the consequences of an unhealthy lifestyle. One of the guys I grew up with died of a heart attack before he got to meet his kid. If his brother started looking like he was living the way my friend did (smoking, drinking, and eating like a starving Norse god) I guarantee I'd be reflecting on that history when I saw him. It wouldn't even be a conscious choice.

Do I think Brad looks like he's hanging on the ragged edge of life? Of course not. And I don't believe in telling people how to live. But yes, seeing people develop bad habits makes me reflect on the people I've known at the outcome of those paths through life. And I'm sure that at least some portion of the people making comments about him are coming from a place of honest good intent, even if you and I agree that they really shouldn't be making comments at all.

Lest there be any confusion, BRAD IS GREAT, YOU GUYS. HE SEEMS LIKE A GENUINELY GOOD PERSON AND I HOPE HE CONTINUES TO SEMI-SUCCESSFULLY FIGHT OFF SLEEP ON THE PODCAST UNTIL THE HEAT DEATH OF THE UNIVERSE

Omg...this thread.

Back to something that's actually relevant. I thought the UPF was great this week. Missed Jeff's presence but I agree with the masses that Peter was a very welcome addition.

Anyone know if they'll be archiving the E3 live shows this year? I had a look on the site for the 2013 streams and couldn't see anything (though I could just be being dumb with the search function). I just realised I'll be away on holiday that week. Will be absolutely gutted if I miss out on all the glorious E3 action.

Omg...this thread.

Back to something that's actually relevant. I thought the UPF was great this week. Missed Jeff's presence but I agree with the masses that Peter was a very welcome addition.

Anyone know if they'll be archiving the E3 live shows this year? I had a look on the site for the 2013 streams and couldn't see anything (though I could just be being dumb with the search function). I just realised I'll be away on holiday that week. Will be absolutely gutted if I miss out on all the glorious E3 action.

I'm not sure if they've ever archived the E3 stuff, they probably wouldn't have last year because of the loss of all that equipment. It was impressive enough they managed to get stuff together to still do the shows.

They're all usually archived on twitch at least, might want to try searching there. Or I'm sure someone will show up shortly with a link, as they always do. GB fans are thorough in their link archiving if nothing else.

I'm not sure if they've ever archived the E3 stuff, they probably wouldn't have last year because of the loss of all that equipment. It was impressive enough they managed to get stuff together to still do the shows.

They're all usually archived on twitch at least, might want to try searching there. Or I'm sure someone will show up shortly with a link, as they always do. GB fans are thorough in their link archiving if nothing else.

Very true. Thanks for the tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom