• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. F

Banned
I wish they would have separate feeds for their premium podcasts, kind of annoying when shows I'm not interested in keep auto-downloading.

Dany

Banned
Yeah that was weird. Don't want to pry into his personal life though.

Totally unprofessional. He lacks so much tact on so many things.

I wish they would have separate feeds for their premium podcasts, kind of annoying when shows I'm not interested in keep auto-downloading.
They don't have any premium podcasts that are consistent enough to be separated into their own feed.

Mr. F

Banned
They don't have any premium podcasts that are consistent enough to be separated into their own feed.

It's mostly getting two bombcasts every week, I don't mind the version with ads. Fair point though. For the rest I think Alt-F1 has been the only consistent show, if they keep going at they pace they're at it could warrant its own feed.

Hanzou

It's mostly getting two bombcasts every week, I don't mind the version with ads. Fair point though. For the rest I think Alt-F1 has been the only consistent show, if they keep going at they pace they're at it could warrant its own feed.

Speaking of which, there is no way to get a premium feed of the premium cats on my iphone through the podcast app is there? What about a third party app?

Mr. F

Banned
Speaking of which, there is no way to get a premium feed of the premium cats on my iphone through the podcast app is there? What about a third party app?

I don't know about Apple's podcast app but using Downcast you can manually subscribe to podcast feeds via RSS, and for premium stuff there's a field to login alongside it. I imagine it's similar across other 3rd party apps.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Reading the last few pages, would just like to say I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by them complaining about people wanting a specific content, and it's been going on for years. Shit like "the more you ask for another endurance run the less we want to make it" comments in the bombcast years ago, like...why be a prick about it? Oh no people want more of your content that they love, what assholes. It's been bothering me for a long time, glad I'm not the only one

Aaron

You have to use a 3rd party app that supports passwords. I used downcast myself.\

Unsub from the regular bombcast feed.

Reading the last few pages, would just like to say I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by them complaining about people wanting a specific content, and it's been going on for years. Shit like "the more you ask for another endurance run the less we want to make it" comments in the bombcast years ago, like...why be a prick about it? Oh no people want more of your content that they love, what assholes. It's been bothering me for a long time, glad I'm not the only one

Jeff has made it clear since day 1 that he (and ostensibly anyone he brings on board) is about doing what he wants to do, regardless of revenue, traffic numbers, or any of that shit being a motivation or an influence on the content. it just so happens a LOT of people like what Giant Bomb does. they are in a very unique position: being able to do whatever and more-or-less 'getting away with it' in terms of sustainability and profitability.

they're not about to squander that by doing "Load Our Last ________" and "Flight Club" features for eternity.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Jeff has made it clear since day 1 that he (and ostensibly anyone he brings on board) is about doing what he wants to do, regardless of revenue, traffic numbers, or any of that shit being a motivation or an influence on the content. it just so happens a LOT of people like what Giant Bomb does. they are in a very unique position: being able to do whatever and more-or-less 'getting away with it' in terms of sustainability and profitability.

they're not about to squander that by doing "Load Our Last ________" and "Flight Club" features for eternity.

There's a difference between "We don't want to do those" and "Man our fans are annoying with all their requests for more content that they've loved".

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

They can do whatever they want, they don't need to shit on their fan base by saying "oh you want that? Tough shit!" is all

njean777

To be honest they should be more concerned on what the fans want, I love what they put out now tbh, but maybe one endurance run a year or something shouldn't be to much to ask. We don't ask because we are assholes (some may go that far idk), we ask because we love their content and would like more (if possible). I give them a break now because of last years events, but in the future, it may become more of a problem if they don't adapt to what the fans want.

Mr. F

Banned

I think any one feature would be hard to squander considering how infrequent and inconsistent new entries are. Not to mention the fact those kinds of features lend themselves to a variety of games that would generally keep things from getting stale. Yes, the FMV stuff on UPF ultimately got a bit old, but were they to do that once every couple of weeks in rotation with other regular features it would probably be a lot more sustainable.

I have nothing against the guys doing what they want to do, but where it gets a bit weird is the content droughts that happen year after year (mostly around the summer) where they have a stable of highly regarded features to fall back on but ultimately don't. I think it was last summer or maybe two years ago where it was particularly awful. It's all the more weird when Patrick is pretty much single-handedly holding up half the premium offerings on most weeks.

I know Jeff does what he wants and doesn't bow to fan requests but I think it would do them some good to be a little more in touch with what their audience wants. Giant Bomb is the only site like it I can think of where the mainline audience and staff interaction is limited to whoever is manning chat on a livestream or whichever handful of emails get through on podcasts. There used to be TNTs and call-in shows (awful as they were) but it seems that they're kind of in a bubble, which is weird for a business model built on premium members. There's tumblrs and twitter, but that doesn't have any real impact.

edit; bleh, ranty. apologies.

The content droughts are why I'm thinking of letting my subscription lapse when it comes up soon. It just makes more sense to build up a cache of it since none of it is particularly timely and will be just as good when I sub for a month or two a year.

I used to subscribe so I could watch whatever they did that week during lunch at work, but the amount of subscriber content has fallen off a cliff, so I'll just wait a while.

Yeah, this year we didn't have a post-BLLSL Premium content boost like in previous years. I'll probably never not be a subscriber, but they have certainly focused less on premium content this past year.

ultron87

Because I shouldn't have to hear how hungover he is or anyone is on the website. Giantbomb is fairly lax and carefree but Rorie especially seems to never know whats right to say. He's had this issue before in podcasts.

This seems like a weird stance to take on a website where they drink on a good portion of the videos. Especially regarding a less than a minute talking point as part of the introduction of a podcast.

sneaky77

It's ok to do what they want to do.. I think people are complaining about their attitude towards some of the stuff or the way it comes across when they dismiss it

This seems like a weird stance to take on a website where they drink on a good portion of the videos. Especially regarding a less than a minute talking point as part of the introduction of a podcast.

Also in his defense he was spending his time off drinking with an out of town premium member. That's pretty cool of him

Its probably because they are so open and have multiple ways to be contacted by the community they have a ton of crazies just asking them for this shit daily and it wears thin. I'm fine with them doing whatever, I just want more of it.

Zero315

Banned
Totally unprofessional. He lacks so much tact on so many things.

Because I shouldn't have to hear how hungover he is or anyone is on the website. Giantbomb is fairly lax and carefree but Rorie especially seems to never know whats right to say. He's had this issue before in podcasts.

I... what? He never knows what to say as opposed to what? Should Brad never have talked about how sick he was during the winter? I mean, we're talking about the website where they regularly drink on camera and Brad constantly falls asleep during livestreams.

This is a really strange complaint. I'm not even actually sure what the complaint is, really.

I... what? He never knows what to say as opposed to what? Should Brad never have talked about how sick he was during the winter? I mean, we're talking about the website where they regularly drink on camera and Brad constantly falls asleep during livestreams.

This is a really strange complaint. I'm not even actually sure what the complaint is, really.

Indeed, extra surprised given the poster who is saying it.

muffs92

I can't believe anyone could complain about the antics or conversational subject matter of the GB folk.

I could almost care less about the video game aspect of it, as long as I get to hear/see the ridiculous conversations held regularly.

Do you guys remember the engineer Ted at Whiskey Media? The guy who did the Bill Cosby impression? He wasn't around long and after he 'left', Dave made it clear he wasn't too fond of him on TNT.
That's one awful Bill Cosby impression.

Uh, what?

hamchan

This is true.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker

Ding Ding.

I love the guys, but thats always irked me a bit. Id rather them give a non answer or to brush it off nicely than for them to answer it how they have in the past.

Sounds like you just don't like Rorie.

Edit: An endurance run is a pretty big commitment if one or two people aren't really into the idea of watching / playing the types of games that make sense in that format I don't blame them for not wanting to do it.

Etnos

Banned
Was waiting for a Child of Light review... hee nvm why would they bother with reviews anyway? I guess they busy being twitter super stars or whatever.

Was waiting for a Child of Light review... hee nvm why would they bother with reviews anyway? I guess they busy being twitter super stars or whatever.

Blah blah meetings, something something lack of staff.

There's always going to be an excuse for lack of content, when they eventually hire the new staff the excuse is going to be "we are teaching them how to giantbomb", it's E3 in a couple of weeks as well so everything is going to grind to a halt for that.

Been fed up with their output for months, it's galling to take peoples subscription money and then say "we do what we want, tough shit"

I'm not saying they should ask how high when I say jump but looking at subscriber feed it's mostly Unpro Fridays which are usually boring rehashes of games they have just played days before.

DoctorZ

Blah blah meetings, something something lack of staff.

There's always going to be an excuse for lack of content, when they eventually hire the new staff the excuse is going to be "we are teaching them how to giantbomb".

Been fed up with their output for months, it's galling to take peoples subscription money and then say "we do what we want, tough shit"

I'm not saying they should ask how high when I say jump but looking at subscriber feed it's mostly Unpro Fridays which are usually boring rehashes of games they have just played days before.

The subscriber content has been lacking lately, but Feb and March was pretty packed with stuff. Although if you didn't like the "Souls" playthroughs than there wasn't that much. If you did it was basically an endurance run. But I do agree that they should pay more attention to their subscriber content output specifically. $5 a month isn't nothing.

My issue is that I don't really like watching any of the non-SF GB content so there has become a large chunk of subscriber content that I just avoid. I know a lot of people enjoy Patrick's content, but I personally don't so it makes the lack of SF GB content more noticeable. I feel like Jeff or someone said that Patrick and Alex's content wouldn't replace anything the main GB crew does, but its starting to feel like it is.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The subscriber content has been lacking lately, but Feb and March was pretty packed with stuff. Although if you didn't like the "Souls" playthroughs than there wasn't that much. If you did it was basically an endurance run. But I do agree that they should pay more attention to their subscriber content output specifically. $5 a month isn't nothing.

My issue is that I don't really like watching any of the non-SF GB content so there has become a large chunk of subscriber content that I just avoid. I know a lot of people enjoy Patrick's content, but I personally don't so it makes the lack of SF GB content more noticeable. I feel like Jeff or someone said that Patrick and Alex's content wouldn't replace anything the main GB crew does, but its starting to feel like it is.

The non-SF part is a pretty major part of their staff now, you know, with the whole thing last year.

DoctorZ

The non-SF part is a pretty major part of their staff now, you know, with the whole thing last year.

That doesn't mean I personally enjoy the content. It has never had the same feel as the SF content and much of the content Patrick puts out is solo, which is just boring to me. The only staff member I enjoy solo videos from is Jeff to be honest. I stated in my last post that I know others enjoy that content so I wouldn't want it to stop, but I also don't want it to become an excuse for a lack of SF content. The non-SF content should add to the site, not replace anything they already do. Even with what happened last year, they have shown that they are more than capable of filling a week with content with just the SF crew.

Etnos

Banned
i didnt know people cared about reviews from www.giantbomb.com

i dont think ever read one from beginning to end

If we were in oct-nov I would totally get it, but common! There is barely anything out these days, Why not give coverage to quite possibly the most interesting release this month?

I'm just feed up with their diva attitude, not gonna keep giving money to a group of man-child so they can slack up, specially with this economic climate where people with real jobs, that cover real needs are having hard times.

Sorry if I sound hateful, I just miss the good old Giantbomb.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That doesn't mean I personally enjoy the content. It has never had the same feel as the SF content and much of the content Patrick puts out is solo, which is just boring to me. The only staff member I enjoy solo videos from is Jeff to be honest. I stated in my last post that I know others enjoy that content so I wouldn't want it to stop, but I also don't want it to become an excuse for a lack of SF content. The non-SF content should add to the site, not replace anything they already do. Even with what happened last year, they have shown that they are more than capable of filling a week with content with just the SF crew.

I think at some point we have to accept that the non-SF content are going to be considered as main content just due to staff limitations when it's 2/5 (1/3 if we count drew) of your on video staff.. It will have to replace some bit and pieces at some point.

If we were in oct-nov I would totally get it, but common! There is barely anything out these days, why not give coverage to quite possibly the most interesting release this month?

I'm just feed up with their diva attitude, not gonna keep giving money to a group of man-child so they can slack up, specially with this economic climate where people with real jobs, that cover real needs are having hard times.

Sorry if I sound hateful, I just miss the good old Giantbomb.

They'll do a quick look, which is pretty much the biggest main coverage they can give for any game.

hamchan

I think at some point we have to accept that the non-SF content are going to be considered as main content just due to staff limitations when it's 2/5 (1/3 if we count drew) of your on video staff.. It will have to replace some bit and pieces at some point.

I've accepted it, it just means I watch less Giant Bomb overall. I enjoy Spookin with Scoops but the rest of it I can pass on.

I feel where people are coming from with the lack of content but I think the guys are well aware of it themselves and the new hire(s) should help improve things.

I can understand them being sick of beig bombarded with requests and complaints, but at the same time when you are asking for people to subscribe you have to expect a certain level of that.

I think a simple way to solve it would be to run a poll once or twice a year with options like doing an ER or a weekly old pc games show etc. Then just ignore all the other requests/complaints, which would probably drop a lot anyway.

RE_Player

My premium ran out a little while ago, I've been thinking about renewing but the lack of good content has put me off recently.
I resubscribed a while ago and if it wasn't for my undying fandom of the bombcast and the crew from past work I would have let it go. Can't remember the last time I actually sat through an Unprofessional Friday. They've been quite boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom