• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, can't even tell what improvements UE4 can provide in this game. The art assets looks drab and the boxy design of the levels/rooms gives it zero personality.

Activision: "We tried to stop it from releasing, but it learned to release itself! If anyone tries to record video of it, the world is doomed!"

Jeff:
PsfIbtC.png

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Truly the worst part of the internet right there. Add in Ben Kuchera and there is the trifecta.

Good thing Daylight looks like shit. :)

Tucah

you speak so well
What's this "[PREMIUM] Let's Finish This Stupid Blair Witch Game" stream coming up in a few hours?

It seems it got moved to tomorrow but I think Patrick's been playing a Blair Witch Project game during Spookin' so I guess it's him finishing it.

MNC

35 bucks in a year. I mean really, is it that hard to come by that money that everybody's complaining about it. The lack of subscriber content might be right, but it does not hinge on the price.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Question, but what was going on with that Daylight quicklook? Did anyone else feel like it was running at 15-20 frames per second? It felt so horrifically choppy that I got nauseous watching it.

Alucrid

Banned
35 bucks in a year. I mean really, is it that hard to come by that money that everybody's complaining about it. The lack of subscriber content might be right, but it does not hinge on the price.

i did the math and i'm paying them .25 per hour for content

Mr. F

Banned

I don't think anybody but that one guy was complaining about actually paying the $35, just merely reevaluating the value of it given the ups and downs of their consistency/quality with content outside of UPF (and even that can be hit or miss).

Honestly I think by and large this is probably one of the more civil versions of this discussion there has been, I'm glad people are finding common ground and it's not an "us vs. them" mentality between those who are content with the current out put and those who find it lacking. There are legitimate points being made in both camps, just wish it was a conversation that could be extended to the crew without it being shut down or dismissed or mocked.

Lunzio

I don't think anybody but that one guy was complaining about actually paying the $35, just merely reevaluating the value of it given the ups and downs of their consistency/quality with content outside of UPF (and even that can be hit or miss).

Honestly I think by and large this is probably one of the more civil versions of this discussion there has been, I'm glad people are finding common ground and it's not an "us vs. them" mentality between those who are content with the current out put and those who find it lacking. There are legitimate points being made in both camps, just wish it was a conversation that could be extended to the crew without it being shut down or dismissed or mocked.

I recently submitted a question to Jeff on his Tumblr regarding active criticism and gauging general contentment from fans and supporters. Hopefully he gets around to answering that! I always try to be as sensible as possible, but I do hope it's not ignored.

Every time I begin to think a Lego game would be worth playing I manage to stumble across a Lego Quick Look. From them, I see that Lego games are confusing jumbles that don't seem fun at all. They appear to be designed for co-op in a very odd, ill-conceived manner for younger/family audiences.

In short, it's a bummer.

Mr. F

Banned
I recently submitted a question to Jeff on his Tumblr regarding active criticism and gauging general contentment from fans and supporters. Hopefully he gets around to answering that! I always try to be as sensible as possible, but I do hope it's not ignored.

I've done the same in the past a few times, but no dice. If anyone I think Patrick would actually acknowledge that stuff but he's not really in a broader decision-making position for the site.

I dunno, like I said in an earlier post, for a site that's literally built on its audience there's a really weird disconnect. Kind of silly the only semi-consistent way to get their attention is to be an asshole or talk shit.
hi brad

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Every time I begin to think a Lego game would be worth playing I manage to stumble across a Lego Quick Look. From them, I see that Lego games are confusing jumbles that don't seem fun at all. They appear to be designed for co-op in a very odd, ill-conceived manner for younger/family audiences.

In short, it's a bummer.

Usually I'm quick to jump on the "jeez, they are missing some obvious stuff" bandwagon like a lot of others do, but I seriously cannot believe this Hobbit game is made for kids. It seemed like a convoluted mess of mechanics and content that's not explained sufficiently at all.

Hand holding is a problem, but this was the absolute reverse of the spectrum, especially considering the target audience. Even I had no idea what the heck they should have been doing at certain points, like those 'dwarf stacks'. What an odd way to put a term to that.

Lunzio

I've done the same in the past a few times, but no dice. If anyone I think Patrick would actually acknowledge that stuff but he's not really in a broader decision-making position for the site.

I dunno, like I said in an earlier post, for a site that's literally built on its audience there's a really weird disconnect. Kind of silly the only semi-consistent way to get their attention is to be an asshole or talk shit.
hi brad

You hit it directly on the head with how weird the disconnect has become.

With a community that is literally thirsting to contribute, you would hope that this would help shape their coverage/content even a little bit. Just take a look at the Community Thread every week on the site and you see how much fans have invested. Heck, much of the promo material they use for recurring features are made by fans!

But I'm not sure by what metric it can be a poor value. In a given year, there's roughly 50 UPFs. Add in the new Alt F1 podcast, Super Professional Chicago shows, Patrick's content, and all the other random premium shit they do and it's a couple cents per hour of entertainment, even at $50. Fuck, most people probably spend more and get less out of a Netflix subscription.

I'm not trying to say that there isn't valid criticism of the output of premium content, but seems like any time there's a lull, people start complaining like they're owed something.

It was how many days after Ryan died before someone here complained about the lack of content? No that that's equivalent or common, but it illustrates this weird sense of ownership people have over the site and it's output. I can't help but react to that because I don't understand it at all. I pay to support them and get some content out of it; not because I expect an arbitrary amount of exclusive content a week, no matter what.

Usually I'm quick to jump on the "jeez, they are missing some obvious stuff" bandwagon like a lot of others do, but I seriously cannot believe this Hobbit game is made for kids. It seemed like a convoluted mess of mechanics and content that's not explained sufficiently at all.

Hand holding is a problem, but this was the absolute reverse of the spectrum, especially considering the target audience. Even I had no idea what the heck they should have been doing at certain points, like those 'dwarf stacks'. What an odd way to put a term to that.

The horror game Patrick Quick Looked - Daylight - had more clearly defined mechanics. This is the opposite of what I would expect. Also, a game like Skylanders walks the player through every single action, whereas the Lego games are just... a fever dream.

I'm inclined to say that Lego games are the Dark Souls of children's games.

I fucking hate the dynamic split screen in those games

Even worse when it's not dynamic and just permanently in a vertical split. (this is in spite of it being set to "dynamic" in the options.)

jgminto

Why does Patrick feel like he needs to put that horrible black and white facecam on the screen whenever he quick looks or streams horror games? It adds nothing and looks bad.

Why does Patrick feel like he needs to put that horrible black and white facecam on the screen whenever he quick looks or streams horror games? It adds nothing and looks bad.

That one time he almost broke his desk which resulted in a picture of Kiefer sutherland & Patrick falling on top of him was great.

Scoops linked this on twitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9-jDfj0IPo

Ryan - it’s the kind of weird that Nintendo needs to get back into in a serious way

Damn skippy Ryan <3

I think it adds a lot - if the game is right. Lately, the games have not been right (for Spookin' or QL). The last big high point was the Oculus Rift horror series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom