• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SZips

Once I do a once over of my resume and cover letter, I'll throw my hat into the ring. At this point, it's worth a shot after having done this for the past ten years or so.

Patryn

Good luck to those applying. Hope you enjoy people constantly belittling you and criticizing you.

Because seriously, it's going to be rough for them.

Good luck to those applying. Hope you enjoy people constantly belittling you and criticizing you.

Because seriously, it's going to be rough for them.

I hope part of the interview process is seeing if forum users would want the applicant to be their Dad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It does seem to be preferred.

Which is good because that shitload of money I spent getting one will maybe one day come in handy.

Assuming that they're actually looking for people (and that this isn't a requirement of CBSi to have an open process before they hire someone they already know), Jeff has said that he doesn't look for College degrees in his hiring. I mean, he himself didn't even finish high school the "legitimate" way, so he knows.

Honestly, I bet the most qualified applicant has a stable of stories and at least some kind of youtube/twitch presence online, regardless of their education.

I really hope that's not the case. I'm already having doubts about that major and I'm not really sure what I could switch to.
English. If you're lucky and talented enough you'll get the job you wanted to get with a Journalism degree anyway. Plus you'll have a much more generalized degree that will make getting a gig to at least put food in your mouth a lot easier.

hamchan

This job requires experience more than anything really. Especially the part with talking live on camera, you can't get good at that until you do it a lot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This job requires experience more than anything really. Especially the part with talking live on camera, you can't get good at that until you do it a lot.
Yeah, which is why I think having a youtube channel is probably going to put you at the top.

Chuck

Still without luck
Weird request, but anyone got a general timestamp for the UPF last week when brad had the NDA look about him regarding Project Beast?

Wereroku

Weird request, but anyone got a general timestamp for the UPF last week when brad had the NDA look about him regarding Project Beast?
It's towards the end of Brads segment.
Honestly they were all pretty sketchy on it except for Rorie. They gave no opinion on its authenticity and really the only comment was from Brad saying it looked cool.

njean777

I really hope that's not the case. I'm already having doubts about that major and I'm not really sure what I could switch to.

English is a good alternate major for journalism, but if you really like journalism and know some people in it then by all means go for that degree. Do not let people scare you with job outlooks. I know engineers that have degrees and do not have a job engineering or anything close to it. It is all about who you know, not what you know these days.

English is a good alternate major for journalism, but if you really like journalism and know some people in it then by all means go for that degree. Do not let people scare you with job outlooks. I know engineers that have degrees and do not have a job engineering or anything close to it. It is all about who you know, not what you know these days.

Do those people not like moving? There is no shortage of jobs that require engineering degrees.

njean777

Do those people not like moving? There is no shortage of jobs that require engineering degrees.

No, just got a job doing something else, because they knew the people at the job. Easier to get a job that way, then showing up at a place where you do not know anybody. They are making good money regardless, but having a degree of any kind is better then not having any degree at all, unless it is fully specialized like dance.

obonicus

I can't think of any black game journalists

Evan Narcisse is one. There's also Mattie Brice, who is a trans woman of color (I believe). She approaches games from a very very very different position than GB does, typically. Not saying either of them would be a good fit (or even interested in the job), though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
"Giant Bomb is proud to introduce the newest member of our team, PewDiePie"
They seem (or at least Patrick) to like Total Biscuit. I have to imagine there are thousands of Total Biscuits out there that could apply for the job.

Look at their written content on their website - the SF office is mostly Quick Looks and Live Shows. The bulk of their reviews come from Alex and their news all comes from Patrick. I assume they want someone who can look into a camera and talk without being nervous - and while we all watched early Gamespot videos with nervous and quiet Jeff/Ryan/Brad, I don't know if they'd be willing to go through that with someone else.

Heck, even Patrick doing livestreaming is - by his own admission - training for a future outside of Giantbomb.

Jeff's not so subtle disdain of youtubers seemingly does away with this notion.
I can't remember, but doesn't he unironically like Hip Hop Gamer? Or maybe that was someone else. lol

JackEtc

Same for me, except for video production. Maybe they'll still be around then!

Same here, graduate in 2 years. Start making connections and building that reel!

Currently in the middle of setting up a full time internship for this summer at a video production house in Maryland, and then moving to Manhattan for a semester in a year or so for another one in the city. Wish I was closer to Cali, I would totally love to intern at GB.

JackEtc

Hey duders, I'm thinking of applying to the Associate Producer position. I whipped up a quick demo reel to submit with my resume. Let me know what you guys think!

http://youtu.be/SjyhD4Bl0JE

Do you have anything non game related? Anything more cinematic? What you have in the reel is good, as it is what the guys do most of time, but diversity is even better. Especially with what GB likes to do for GOTY stuff. If you do, definitely throw it in! Otherwise, I enjoyed it! I wish you the best of luck :)

Also, I'd fix the audio in the interview section if I was you. Mix it down to mono. You in one ear and the Adam in the other ear sounds unprofessional.

Needs more flag/dollar signs/explosion transitions.

That's all built into the Tricaster, which start at a few grand a pop. Hard to get experience with, I'm lucky to have some.

EDIT: I was wrong, looks like you do have some Tricaster experience!

It's towards the end of Brads segment.
Honestly they were all pretty sketchy on it except for Rorie. They gave no opinion on its authenticity and really the only comment was from Brad saying it looked cool.

Rorie also mentioned there was a shot of fog doors and Jeff explained that fog doors are one of the reasons he dislikes the Souls games.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I reviewed UMD movies back in the day on IGN. I also interviewed David Jaffe once. They should be calling me for cryin' out loud.

The 2000s were weird.

Also on topic is anyone noticing some crazy frame rate drops in this week's UPF? I'm just catching up and it's really weird.

Chuck

Still without luck
The 2000s were weird.

Also on topic is anyone noticing some crazy frame rate drops in this week's UPF? I'm just catching up and it's really weird.

75b0e24cf7.png

It's tough out there, man. Real tough. I got a journalism job that pays $50k plus somehow, but it's because there's a lot of data analysis involved. But it took me nearly two years after college to get it. EIC of school newspaper, good grades, whole nine yards. Start freelancing NOW. Get clips any way you can. Get in with the sports editor. Start learning final cut. You want to be able to tell employers you can help up with anything and everything.

Seeing GIANT BOMB DOT COM have not one, but two (plus one) job openings makes me excited! Can't wait to see who they bring in and to have both Drew and Vinny on camera at the same time.

Mr. F

Banned
Hadn't checked the thread in a few days - great to see they're on the road to hiring finally. Wonder how long the process will take? A part of me thinks they would want people in time to help with E3 considering how big a production the show floor coverage and livestreams are, but on the other hand that's probably too short notice.

Good news in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom