• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Just now realized...my GB Sub runs out tomorrow. A year and a half+ of GB Gold.

I assume they haven't had a "sale" on a sub in over a year, don't remember seeing any around Thanksgiving or Christmas.

hamchan

why the fuck are you guys talking about pewdiepie and totalbiscuit?

they are obviously not gonna hire people like that

What are you talking about? Of course they'll hire the biggest youtubers out there. That's like free money.

People were fucking kidding around and not being serious if you really couldn't tell

Myggen

Yeah, isn't Danny EIC of Gamespot? Why would he leave that? While I'd love more Danny (and he totally would be the best fit) I can understand that it's not going to be him.

As for the rest of you throwing out names, don't forget that undoubtedly a major requirement is to be in the San Fran area and stay there. I highly doubt they want another staffer off-site, especially a new one.

Justin Calvert is EIC of GS. Danny is just the most visible person (to us at least) on the site. Don't know his exact position, but maybe some Associate Editor type deal?

Also, regarding the Danny/Rorie charity thing: Seems like it'll be 12 hours of Rorie, and then 12 hours of Danny.

I assume they haven't had a "sale" on a sub in over a year, don't remember seeing any around Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Rorie said yesterday in some forum thread (can't remember which) that a sale would happen "sooner than you think" or something. They've been talking about a sale for a while now without it happening, so who knows? And no, they haven't had a sale in over a year if you don't count those PAX codes some months ago.

Majine

Banned
I don't usually like to play the hiring speculation game, but man Kyle Bosman would be a great fit. GT is based in Santa Monica though, so that would mean a pretty serious relocation for him, which isn't always an option for people.

He can play the role of Patrick Klepek too tho. That's 2 for 1. Look:

sXaQb7h.png

hamchan

I sure hope all current gen sports games have a long ass install time so Jeff and Vinny can just speak nonsense for 5 minutes.

Lunzio

Ugh, this is unfortunately one of the few realistic suggestions in the thread. Hopefully he sticks to rev3, something about him rubs me the wrong way.

I cannot help but agree with this. I cannot watch rev3 content with him in it for some reason >.>

kingocfs

I hope they bring in youngins who haven't been tainted by the industry at all yet, someone with no gaming journalism experience.
That way we can watch their optimism and enthusiasm wither away live on air.

No but really I hope it's someone completely new to the scene.

Rorie did give away discount codes in this thread last year/early this year.

Bm7ojySCIAA26FB.jpg:large

‏@Fattony12000
Hah, is that my screencap of you @dannyodwyer? I love your cut out job by the way.
7:32 AM - 6 May 2014

‏@dannyodwyer
@Fattony12000 It is indeed. Now that appears when I google my name. THANKS!
7:36 AM - 6 May 2014

#TeamKessler

Lets not forget his skyrim guide is by far the most popular giantbomb video. Time to bring him back

Lol. Dude works at Sony now and probably earns more then Alex and Patrick. He aint coming back.

I bet they hire someone from the Rev 3 games exodus. They are already in SanFran and experienced with on camera stuff. That or a complete unknown with next to no experiance.

They should poach Tara Long, the Discovery acquisition has destroyed Revision 3, there used to be so many good videos, I loved Diggnation and Totally Rad Show.

Gav47

Ugh, this is unfortunately one of the few realistic suggestions in the thread. Hopefully he sticks to rev3, something about him rubs me the wrong way.

Yeah, I always feel like he's talking down to the viewer in his videos.

Speaking of Kessler, whatever happened to Steve (Lemon) btw? I still vow that Fear Gauntlet was one of the best 'new' features in some time.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Speaking of Kessler, whatever happened to Steve (Lemon) btw? I still vow that Fear Gauntlet was one of the best 'new' features in some time.

Last I heard he was working for some browser game company.

The Resident Evil and Condemned Fear Gauntlets were great. I also think their format of "We'll play the whole game if it's good, but if we get bored we'll just move on to the next one" is something GB proper should adopt.

Zaph

I hope they bring in youngins who haven't been tainted by the industry at all yet, someone with no gaming journalism experience.
That way we can watch their optimism and enthusiasm wither away live on air.

No but really I hope it's someone completely new to the scene.
Yup, I'm all for them hiring someone almost completely new to the industry.

We all know GB will never be able to poach the guys we'd really like to see (Danny, Brad Muir, Jeff Green, Carrie etc), so take a gamble on someone new and eager. Would be interesting to hear a fresh take on E3/press events/etc contrasted with the guys who've been doing it for over a decade.

But not too eager, it's only video games.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They should poach Tara Long, the Discovery acquisition has destroyed Revision 3, there used to be so many good videos, I loved Diggnation and Totally Rad Show.
I don't really know anything about modern Rev3, but Diggnation and TRS ending had nothing to do with the Discovery acquisition.

That said, I still find it kind of hilarious that Rev3's people thought that they would somehow rival "old media" only to be bought by them in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom