• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anonymous asked: Jeff how long until you fulfill my dream and just hire Dan Teasedale's little brother and Danny O'Dwyer for Giantbomb?

Jeff: If people want to be considered for a job, they need to apply for it.

That was an odd reply from Jeff. I would've thought he'd dismiss it straight out and say something like 'Danny's at Gamespot.' Does this mean he could technically apply if he wanted to?

dc2fd6da2c741a3b2f6ae5fcf700e06fafe43267ea271579118ef4292ffb25c6.jpg

But no, Danny's pretty much running things video wise at GS, he wouldn't give that up to work at GB when he can just pop over there from time to time.

I also don't know who Dan Teasedale's bro is, anyone here know? Has he been on GB live streams and such before?

Kerned

Banned
That was an odd reply from Jeff. I would've thought he'd dismiss it straight out and say something like 'Danny's at Gamespot.' Does this mean he could technically apply if he wanted to?

dc2fd6da2c741a3b2f6ae5fcf700e06fafe43267ea271579118ef4292ffb25c6.jpg

But no, Danny's pretty much running things video wise at GS, he wouldn't give that up to work at GB when he can just pop over there from time to time.

I also don't know who Dan Teasedale's bro is, anyone here know? Has he been on GB live streams and such before?

That's not really an odd reply. Of course Danny could apply. Why couldn't he? That doesn't mean he would want to or intends to.

I don't really know anything about modern Rev3, but Diggnation and TRS ending had nothing to do with the Discovery acquisition.

That said, I still find it kind of hilarious that Rev3's people thought that they would somehow rival "old media" only to be bought by them in the end.

I never said it did, I was just lamenting the shows I enjoyed to watch there.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I never said it did, I was just lamenting the shows I enjoyed to watch there.
What shows did Discovery actually kill though?

Most of the shows I watched were killed way before they were bought or died of natural causes. Although the only show I was watching at that point was TRS.

I'm glad Vinny does the same thing when people use their phone as speakers to blast music.
"who is that? that song is GREAT!"
"I'm so glad you are sharing your music for all of us?"
"CAN YOU TELL US... WHERE ARE YOU GOING?! NO? AM I TALKING TOO LOUD?"

Lunzio

Jeff hates AJ Pierzynski. Almost makes up for them doing the entire QL while the game was downloading.

I'm kind of undecided if the quick look should literally be them putting the disc in for the first time (as it has become) or if it should be recorded after they've played it at least a little.

I think it should be a mix of both, but is it too much to ask for a little preparation?

I'm kind of undecided if the quick look should literally be them putting the disc in for the first time (as it has become) or if it should be recorded after they've played it at least a little.

I think it should be a mix of both, but is it too much to ask for a little preparation?

I don't think QLs of games they don't care about but that offer good comedy, like sports games, would happen if they required any preparation. They're usually pretty good about preparing for bigger/interesting games, having things in mind they want to show and such.

Yeah it's unfortunate, because now I have no idea how much of that jank is due to the DL, or just inherent. Especially with all the talk about how they still haven't fixed online, this QL just adds more confusion for someone on the fence.

FStop7

Banned
I'm glad Vinny does the same thing when people use their phone as speakers to blast music.
"who is that? that song is GREAT!"
"I'm so glad you are sharing your music for all of us?"
"CAN YOU TELL US... WHERE ARE YOU GOING?! NO? AM I TALKING TOO LOUD?"

That's a thing that people do? Blasting music from their phones in public? God.

Lingitiz

Yeah it's unfortunate, because now I have no idea how much of that jank is due to the DL, or just inherent. Especially with all the talk about how they still haven't fixed online, this QL just adds more confusion for someone on the fence.

I assume the long load times would be fixed, but after watching some streams yesterday the frame rate hitches during closeups are definitely not because of the installing. Even one of the devs said himself that he was unhappy with the janky framerate and animations.

Lunzio

I don't think QLs of games they don't care about but that offer good comedy, like sports games, would happen if they required any preparation. They're usually pretty good about preparing for bigger/interesting games, having things in mind they want to show and such.

With regards to the MLB quick look, I even just mean letting the game install before recording, but I definitely agree with you for many of the games they are interested in.

Teasdale's little brother, Beagle, created the best Youtube gaming-related videos I've ever seen. His Xcom and Arma videos are first class. He's a damn fine commenter, with the perfect mix of humor and insight.

Unfortunately, he started streaming with his girlfriend or something and the videos were just her complaining and him mollifying her. No thanks.

popo

I think the fact that they are advertising for an "associate" editor and producer hints that they will take someone fresh and new. I can't any of the established faces wanting a position under Brad [sic].

I wouldn't bother applying fr the editor job if you don't live local and have some writing experience though. They might have moved more to video but Jeff clearly still values written content.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Zoe Quinn just announced on twitter that she applied for the giant bomb job so good luck to the rest of you.

Huh. Not sure how I feel about that. Zoe can be a bit brash at times, or perhaps I may just be misremembering.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah not like they've ever had anyone brash on staff....

Brash may not be the right word? Perhaps overbearing? I just remember at some point seeing them on something and thinking "Give others a chance to speak." I'd probably have to see Zoe on more stuff before I could form a real solid opinion though.

Zoe is fine, I don't particularly agree with hers and Patrick's points of view on online harassement but she is pretty good person and decent on camera (as I recall in the GDC videos). Hope she gets the job but dunno how wise is saying that in twitter.

Myggen

His brother is Beagle who makes excellent ArmA and XCOM videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Beaglerush

Holy shit, you just blew my mind here! Without having any interest in the ArmA series I've watched all of his and CHKilroy's videos of that game, and Beagle's XCOM videos are some of the best around. Small world!

edit: I really like Zoe. But seeing the Youtube comments on the videos she's in (if she gets the job) will be...interesting? Haha, judging by the comments to that panel they did, I think both Youtube and Reddit might explode if Patrick and Zoe ever did a video together..

I don't really see what if anything new Zoe would bring to the table. They already have a Patrick.
Yeah, hard to imagine that a game developer, one with a famous game on the topic of depression of all things, would have a different perspective or anything valuable to bring to the table.

I agree with Jeff that they should get management and production staff first first but I will love that they get a staff memember that likes japanese games. Patrick is more a indie/givestuffachance guy, Brad sleeps at the job and Jeff is too tsundere for anime stuff to care about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom