• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a thing that people do? Blasting music from their phones in public? God.

The ones that do are usually kids that play crappy rap but sometimes its grown-ass people playing crappy rap. The kids I will give them the attention they seek from a 30 something professional that is spending the day in the city. The grown-ups, they are forever lost to us since they are using this to fight that crippling sense of solitude and loneliness that only a major metropolitan can provide.

Hey guys, don't take offence!

Olcepcv.png

DON'T TAKE OFFENCE

Patryn

Zoe is fine, I don't particularly agree with hers and Patrick's points of view on online harassement but she is pretty good person and decent on camera (as I recall in the GDC videos). Hope she gets the job but dunno how wise is saying that in twitter.

She seemed a little awkward at her panel with Patrick at PAX East, but I think she could do it. A female voice would also be pretty nice to have.

However, I worry about how she'd take the inevitable backlash. I feel terrible for any woman GB hires, because the harassment would be off the charts. I shudder to think of what would be thrown at her.

Hey guys, don't take offence!

Olcepcv.png

DON'T TAKE OFFENCE

so this was the first question that shows up on Klepek's tumblr after a question that was basically "you should get Cara to do some work for you guys because she's rad" (I sent the question, course)

I was really really hoping it'd inspire some twat to write in with some "offending muh 'pinions" crap, and hook line and sinker

sentiment is genuine though, site needs more Cara. Bring on the freelance budget

Patryn

Just imagine how many applications they are going to have to go through

HR will likely screen them first, based on criteria from Jeff and corporate. Guessing that'll eliminate 40-50 percent right there.

I suspect they may just wholesale eliminate anybody not from the commutable San Fran area.

AColdDay

so this was the first question that shows up on Klepek's tumblr after a question that was basically "you should get Cara to do some work for you guys because she's rad" (I sent the question, course)

I was really really hoping it'd inspire some twat to write in with some "offending muh 'pinions" crap, and hook line and sinker

sentiment is genuine though, site needs more Cara. Bring on the freelance budget

Man, Cara is the best. I became an instant fan of hers after watching her appearance on BitAM. I said this somewhere, but she is a rising star and GB would be really lucky to have her.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just imagine how many applications they are going to have to go through

I wouldn't be surprised if they first just looked at applications from people they knew and then if they didn't feel they were good for the position, then look at other peoples applications.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Yeah, hard to imagine that a game developer, one with a famous game on the topic of depression of all things, would have a different perspective or anything valuable to bring to the table.

Zoe seems smart and I like her on gdc/bombin in the am but I doubt there's much game Dev insight from someone who has made mostly if not all text adventures.

Patryn

I wouldn't be surprised if they first just looked at applications from people they knew and then if they didn't feel they were good for the position, then look at other peoples applications.

Friends of the site like Zoe are probably getting the internal referral bump, which means that they'll take higher priority over a random application.

It's the same way at any major company.

Megasoum

Banned
Jeff said on Tumblr they already have a lead on one of the position anyway. Like it was said multiple times here, it's not because they publicly announce a position that they didn't already have friends in mind. And there's nothing wrong with that.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I hope this process won't take too long, because the speculation is approaching crazy levels.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Friends of the site like Zoe are probably getting the internal referral bump, which means that they'll take higher priority over a random application.

Jeff said on Tumblr they already have a lead on one of the position anyway. Like it was said multiple times here, it's not because they publicly announce a position that they didn't already have friends in mind. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Yeah I'm not saying theres anything wrong about it, just that it's probably what's going to happen.

Man, I hope this process won't take too long, because the speculation and is ramping up at crazy levels.
What? I haven't even started writing my fanfiction story of this. I have the title ready, though; "Danny and Kyle settle the score with an afternoon of Greek wrestling".

Giant Bomb is, first and foremost, an entertainment site. Not a news site, not really even a reviews site. If you're not funny and not entertaining you shouldn't be a part of the team. I don't think Zoe is particularly funny or entertaining.

Myggen

That's really how it is everywhere, and I'm especially not surprised that this is the case here since it must be so difficult to hire the right person for a personality-type role like the Assocate Editor position. I'd imagine that it'll be almost impossible to tell if a person will act naturally on camera if he/she doesn't have any experience with that from before.

As for Cara, she seems pretty natural on camera and is an excellent writer. She's also a pretty established name already (that The Guardian list she's on etc.), and it would be cool with a woman on staff. Also, that anon post on Patrick's wall was pretty fun in how sad it was.

sixghost

I think the coolest thing they could do is grab someone out of obscurity. You can talk about how a female or minority voice would round out the staff, but I think someone who hasn't been writing about video games as a job their entire life would be the most interesting type of person they could hire.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Man, the Petiton to fire Patrick that he linked on his Tumblr is just fucking hilarious. I honestly can't tell if it's supposed to be serious or not

http://www.petitions24.com/petition_for_giant_bomb_to_fire_patrick_klepek

For too long, Giant Bomb users and its community have been subjected to the opinions, agendas, and ignorance of Patrick Klepek, and it is time for US, the true Duders, to make change and rid this once wonderful site of this unqualified "games journalist."
Kinda bummed, I read that as "It's time for the US, the true Duders, to change this" which would have been far better.

Even when Patricia posts about video games it's about inane and arbitrary things nobody cares about. Instead of telling us about engines, graphics, or release dates, Patricia has to make every article about FEELINGS or something completely unrelated. It's all drivel and nonsense and we KNOW you're better than this, Giant Bomb.
I don't read blogs because they're for girls and I'm not a girl
I really hope this is serious. This is fucking fantastic

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I think Cara would be great. However, I also wish they had sought new hires last year when Jeff Green was looking for work.

Man, the Petiton to fire Patrick that he linked on his Tumblr is just fucking hilarious. I honestly can't tell if it's supposed to be serious or not

http://www.petitions24.com/petition_for_giant_bomb_to_fire_patrick_klepek

I cannot imagine the type of person who would go to this effort for something like this, so I'm gonna say it's not serious.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Not "real" games?

Give me a break.

A text adventure has a lot more to do with story writing than traditional game development, I'm sure you recognize that?

That's not to say there isn't interesting insight to come from that, just that it's a different beast.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think Cara would be great. However, I also wish they had sought new hires last year when Jeff Green was looking for work.

Doesn't Cara live in Britain though? They really don't need another Non-SF member.

Getting away from jobs for a bit...

Drew knows about Eurovision again. THIS IS IMPORTANT

Give me relevant content!!

Premium Feature where Drew and Danny and whoever else wants watch and comment Eurovision would be fantastic. Would probably be the frist time since 2000 or so that I'd watch that piece of shit show.

popo

Likely they mentioned the annual salary and then the next question was "is that per month?" so they decided to open it up to people willing to live off of instant noodles for a start in the industry.

Also, I am not sure some of these international names are viable, what with work visas and such.

Man, I hope this process won't take too long, because the speculation is approaching crazy levels.

Well they mentioned they wanted to fill the intern position quickly, by mid-June. So if they see that as quickly relative to the other positions then I guess it will be July at the earliest.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Doesn't Cara live in Britain though? They really don't need another Non-SF member.

Well, I mean it'd be great if they wanted to hire her and she wanted to relocate. But yeah, that's probably unlikely.

I hope it's not the rev3 guy. I'm sure he's cool but I never liked him on any Happy Hour he was on.

A text adventure has a lot more to do with story writing than traditional game development, I'm sure you recognize that?

That's not to say there isn't interesting insight to come from that, just that it's a different beast.
I do and don't.
Yes, there is significantly less programming and system design.

But not only would I count some my favourite 90s games as text adventures, I would say there is significant game design that goes in how you structure the stories, what player choices are, how they effect the player and the resultant story, what kind of emotions and reactions do we try to elicit in the player etc, all that fun stuff.

Khezu

They should have milked the hiring process and turned it into a internet reality show/circus and let the giant bomb members vote who gets to be hired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom