• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck

Still without luck
2379004-jeff_headshake.gif

Myggen

So we are pretty sure the on camera job posting is just a formality right?

Jeff said this on his Tumblr: "We’ve got a lead on one of the jobs that seems potentially promising, hopefully we’ll get those positions filled soon."

But yeah, I would be shocked if they didn't at least have a solid lead on that position. With what that position demands of having to be on-camera etc., it would be almost impossible to take someone totally fresh and know if he/she would work out. The Associate Producer position is probably more open (unless Hamst3r wants the job!).

Jamie OD

Watched the Jojo Quick Look and yeah, that thing seems to be a pretty great kind of stupid. Will totally check the series out.

I'm 3 episodes in and it's bizarre all right. The pacing is nuts although I think the show sprints through years and years of material to remove the filler and get to the main stuff. Also Robert EO Speedwagon is the greatest name I have ever heard.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I can't imagine inflicting a wound on my hand and pushing a metal object into it, but more power (literally) to her.

def sim

I just watched five episodes because of the quick look, been meaning to check it out but haven't gotten around to it.

The first few episodes dragged a bit but it's getting better, the last episode I watched kinda flew by. I'm enjoying it for what it is.

Edit: Kinda want to make my desktop background a screencap of JoJo looking amazed and saying "I can even lift this heavy rock!"

I just realized I have no idea where one would go to watch anime. You guys have some go-to sites?

Dragon

Banned
Kinda surprised Alex played on normal difficulty and then complained about the lack of challenge in the battles in Child of Light, but I guess that's the difficulty most people play at. Still love that game :/.

Volcynika

Kinda surprised Alex played on normal difficulty and then complained about the lack of challenge in the battles in Child of Light, but I guess that's the difficulty most people play at. Still love that game :/.

He did try it at least.

(From the review)
I restarted the game on "hard" after finishing it on "normal," and while the difficulty increase does make enemy encounters tougher, it doesn't entirely negate the sluggish, grindy feel of the early parts of the game. You just have to work a little harder to dispatch a lot of enemies that still don't require a ton of strategy to best.

Patryn

Jeff said this on his Tumblr: "We’ve got a lead on one of the jobs that seems potentially promising, hopefully we’ll get those positions filled soon."

But yeah, I would be shocked if they didn't at least have a solid lead on that position. With what that position demands of having to be on-camera etc., it would be almost impossible to take someone totally fresh and know if he/she would work out. The Associate Producer position is probably more open (unless Hamst3r wants the job!).

The associate producer credit also makes clear that it will have an on-camera facet. I found it interesting how it and not the associate editor position had a line about how applicants must be comfortable being a public figure.

graboids

when ever Zoe Quinn comes up my first thought is of Johnny V asking why Max had a "Zoh Quinn" name tag on during the GDC livestream... although I guess I shouldn't be surprised he would say it that way since he did pronounce "Jose" as "Horsey" one time...

on a related note I need to stop listening to so many old GB podcasts at work I think...

when ever Zoe Quinn comes up my first thought is of Johnny V asking why Max had a "Zoh Quinn" name tag on during the GDC livestream... although I guess I shouldn't be surprised he would say it that way since he did pronounce "Jose" as "Horsey" one time...

on a related note I need to stop listening to so many old GB podcasts at work I think...

Drunk Johnny V is best Johnny V

erawsd

The associate producer credit also makes clear that it will have an on-camera facet. I found it interesting how it and not the associate editor position had a line about how applicants must be comfortable being a public figure.

I think they both mentioned that applicants must be comfortable on camera.

Patryn

I think they both mentioned that applicants must be comfortable on camera.

You're right, but that wasn't quite what I was getting at. I could have been clearer, but I found the specific wording of "public figure" kind of interesting.

You're right, but that wasn't quite what I was getting at. I could have been clearer, but I found the specific wording of "public figure" kind of interesting.

I think it's mentioned so that people don't think the production gig is just sitting in a backroom.

Quentyn

I think they just mentioned it because it is something unusual for that position.

Patryn

I think it's mentioned so that people don't think the production gig is just sitting in a backroom.

I'm really being unclear.

I totally know why they say it, and they should say it.

I'm just assuming that Vinny and Jeff had some say in the wording of the opening for the producer and editor, respectively. It kind of gives you a look into the thoughts they have for the job (and possibly by extension for their own jobs), and the fact that one lists becoming a public figure and the other doesn't is something I find interesting.

Clearly it's just me, however.

I'm just assuming that Vinny and Jeff had some say in the wording of the opening for the producer and editor, respectively. It kind of gives you a look into the thoughts they have for the job, and the fact that one lists becoming a public figure and the other doesn't is something I find interesting.

Being a public figure comes with the job when you're an editor, the same is not true for being a producer.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean, you can say that ian and alexis are on screen personalities, but it's obviously not their main stint.

Same can be said for drew until ryan's death.

Zaph

I'm really being unclear.

I totally know why they say it, and they should say it.

I'm just assuming that Vinny and Jeff had some say in the wording of the opening for the producer and editor, respectively. It kind of gives you a look into the thoughts they have for the job (and possibly by extension for their own jobs), and the fact that one lists becoming a public figure and the other doesn't is something I find interesting.

Clearly it's just me, however.
I see what you're saying, but it's down to expectations, not necessarily different takes on how Vinny and Jeff see their jobs/lives.

If you're getting into editorial, it's a given that you're putting your work, and yourself, out there. Exposure is desired. Conversely, there will be lots applications for the producer job from people who have no idea what Giant Bomb is and will be surprised when they have to explain to family/friends why photoshopped GIF's of their head on Godzilla start appearing in google searches for their name.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Pretty sure by "public figure" they mean that you automatically also become POTUS.

Myggen

Yeah, but my thinking is that they'd be more willing to ease someone into that position (like they did with Ian), while the Associate Editor will probably be required to do well on camera from day 1. I dunno...

Isn't there like an old version of it? Is this a retelling or something? Is that one worth a watch?

There was an OVA (short film) of the second half of Stardust Crusaders, the third part of the manga (same part which introduced Stands, and the same part which the old Capcom JoJo's is based on). it's got some great animation but it's super condensed.

The ongoing anime is doing Stardust Crusaders at the moment, I'd honestly say watch that, and then go back and watch the OVA. It's what I'll be doing, anyway.

(Oh, there was a film for Part 1: Phantom Blood, but it never got released on DVD. The guy in charge of JoJo's hates it.)

Patryn

Yeah, but my thinking is that they'd be more willing to ease someone into that position (like they did with Ian), while the Associate Editor will probably be required to do well on camera from day 1. I dunno...

Ian wasn't a producer. He was an engineer who volunteered to help out. Working the tricaster was never his actual job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom