• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
Hmmm....

So is this because they may have started seriously talking to certain people and told them that a San Fran location is non-negotiable, or is it because they've (understandably) begun purging all applications from people not living in the San Fran area?

I can't imagine it's the latter. I'm sure some applicants are willing to move for this job so why not keep them in consideration. Probably just people not taking rejection very well.

So is this because they may have started seriously talking to certain people and told them that a San Fran location is non-negotiable, or is it because they've (understandably) begun purging all applications from people not living in the San Fran area?

Hoping it's the former. I'm more than qualified for the production job (at least from a technical experience stand-point), but I'm currently based in the UK. Moving is not an issue - working at somewhere like Giant Bomb is a dream job for me. I'd pack my bag tomorrow and head to SF if they wanted to hire me.

Tucah

you speak so well
Hmmm....

Probably the former, someone asked Jeff on Tumblr about not living in San Fran and applying for the job and he said "I don’t really care where people live now, but the openings are in San Francisco."

Patryn

I wonder if some notable people figured that they could just pull a Patrick or Alex and work from wherever.

Which is pretty much the opposite of what GB wants, I think.

Zaph

I wonder if some notable people figured that they could just pull a Patrick or Alex and work from wherever.

Which is pretty much the opposite of what GB wants, I think.
That would a massive mistake. For such a tiny team, it's already bad enough that 50% of their official editorial works remotely.

TraBuch

Banned
So I bought a month of Reddit Gold to get those two months of premium GB membership a few hours ago but I still haven't received anything. Does it usually take that long?

Patryn

That would a massive mistake. For such a tiny team, it's already bad enough that 50% of their official editorial works remotely.
I was saying that I think some applicants thought they could do that. GB however was being adamant that the person must be in SF and stay there.

There's not a chance they'll hire a remote person for this opening.

LiK

Whoever they hire NEEDS to be SF based and they know it.

When one person it out of the office the whole operation falls apart now.

yea, it's a given. The new guy is supposed to help out when they're short-staffed. I mean, if they're in another place, who needs them?

Hmmm....

I definitely don't think they are ruling people out from other states considering I got contacted and I live in GA.

popo

Hoping it's the former. I'm more than qualified for the production job (at least from a technical experience stand-point), but I'm currently based in the UK. Moving is not an issue - working at somewhere like Giant Bomb is a dream job for me. I'd pack my bag tomorrow and head to SF if they wanted to hire me.

Moving might not be an issue but a visa might. Even if you could get one, it would involve extra time and expense for the company. I would not be surprised if HR remove all non-us residents in the first cut.

As to Jeff's comment. There hasn't been nearly enough time for rejected applications so likely just ppl moaning at him on twitter about not wanting to move.

Myggen

Moving might not be an issue but a visa might. Even if you could get one, it would involve extra time and expense for the company. I would not be surprised if HR remove all non-us residents in the first cut.

As to Jeff's comment. There hasn't been nearly enough time for rejected applications so likely just ppl moaning at him on twitter about not wanting to move.

Yup, on Twitter or Tumblr. The whole point of hiring more people is to help out in the SF office, so it should be pretty obvious to everyone that you'll have to work from the main office.

Mesoian

Hmmm....

Little of column a, little of column b.

Especially with the housing situation out there. Even if it's a dream job, I doubt working at GB is paying 6 figures.

Fuck, I think you're right. Either that or I just didn't meet some other criteria. The HR Status in my job submission is marked as "Requisition Closed". Bummer.

Good luck to all the duders still in the running.

I'm not sure if this question is out of line but is there any idea how much the new on camera position would pay a year? I've always been curious how much game journalists make, I understand its not a lot.

Myggen

I'm not sure if this question is out of line but is there any idea how much the new on camera position would pay a year? I've always been curious how much game journalists make, I understand its not a lot.

Doubt anyone on here would know outside of some pretty baseless speculation.

edit: First time seeing China Warrior...what a game!

It's funny that none of those three knew of anyone with even a knowledge of JoJo's until recently and both this thread and the comment section of the QL are just wall-to-wall references and other silliness.

This is where we have fan art of them with Stands.

Patrick and Alex did their time.

I wouldn't doubt Jeff had to do some real oratory to let them move to those cities, also.

Always thought Patrick probably got a pretty sweet deal out of that. Cost of living in Chicago is like 2/3 of the SF area, so unless he got a pay cut he's probably making a (comparatively) pretty penny.

Of course this is none of our business, but it's something I've always wondered about "cross-national" jobs.

Always thought Patrick probably a pretty sweet deal out of that. Cost of living in Chicago is like 1/3 of the SF area, so unless he got a pay cut he's probably making a (comparatively) pretty penny.

Of course this is none of our business, but it's something I've always wondered about "cross-national" jobs.

yeah but he has to suffer Dave Lang now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom