• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT
Everyone just keeps parroting the same, impossible, names over and over again. Therefore, I throw the following, impossible, hat into the ring...

Conrad Zimmerman.

He's like a mix of Alex and Patrick with a dash of Ryan, all in one deliciously moustachioed package.

He would have to move all the way back across the country AGAIN though. Hah, poor Conrad.

Shouts to Conrad.

Zaph

http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/85431256176/do-you-think-youll-have-a-new-editor-on-board-by-e3#notes

So they won't have a new editor on board by E3. I'm guessing the same goes for the producer gig. Jeff has said before that it's so difficult to find the right people for a job at GB, so he's gonna take his time.
Isn't that just the perfect amount of corporate bullshit?

Judging by what Jeff's said, the positions were all but confirmed a few months ago. But by the time it's gone through all approvals and HR finally posted the positions, it's now too late to get them for E3 - their biggest event and most traffic of the year.

Isn't that just the perfect amount of corporate bullshit?

Judging by what Jeff's said, the positions were all but confirmed a few months ago. But by the time it's gone through all approvals and HR finally posted the positions, it's now too late to get them for E3 - their biggest event and most traffic of the year.

34939.jpg

They should just hire a vocaloid composed of the voices of their 100 top fans, constantly projected throughout their office, controlled by the Internet ala twitch Pokemon playthrough. It's the only way we'll be happy.

V_Ben

Banned
Sudden urge to watch Screened's video on the Keanu Reeves Constantine movie. I remember people were uploading videos of their stuff to YouTube, is there a channel for it?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sudden urge to watch Screened's video on the Keanu Reeves Constantine movie. I remember people were uploading videos of their stuff to YouTube, is there a channel for it?
Oh wow, I forgot that Screened completely disappeared. Now it redirects to some page owned by AOL.

On a similar note, I decided to check out Anime Vice for the first time in ages and it's amazing how it still has the old layout. You can still do quests on it, although some of them are impossible now. Like, remember when they got Best Buy to skin the sites and you could get an achievement for clicking on the ad? lol

Re: Bound By Flame QL, who would've thought it, blocking enemy attacks stops you from dying!

The problem with that was that Brad gave the developer the benefit of the doubt that they had actually designed a good combat system. Because the way the combat seems to be intended to be played is absolute shit.

LiK

Odd design choice in Bound by Flame to not include a shield OR rolling. And what's up with the enemies taking so little damage early in this game? GAF OT did mention that the game is hard so it definitely looks like it. Kind of a shame, I sorta appreciated the jankiness. The dialogue is hilarious. They make no attempt to make it sound like the usual fantasy stuff.

Myggen

without even looking, based off this comment alone, I knew it had to have been Brad.

at this point, I just find his obliviousness to basic game mechanics to just be endearing.

It's not like he didn't understand that blocking stops you from dying, it's more him trying to find other ways to play than just keeping your shield up at all time as the warrior. The combat doesn't seem fun enough to make the blocking option fun at all, just tedious, so he was looking for an effective way to evade attacks as the warrior without luck.

People tend to jump to the "BRAD IS BRAD AT GAMES!!!" stuff a bit too often.

The problem with that was that Brad gave the developer the benefit of the doubt that they had actually designed a good combat system. Because the way the combat seems to be intended to be played is absolute shit.

Oh yeah the combat looks dreadful but it's blatantly obvious that him not blocking or dodging was killing him over and over.

Patryn

Anyone that goes into a job and thinks it'll just be a 'kick back and relax' type deal shouldn't be applying - doesn't matter what job it is.

Also, most people applying for this job are probably active on social media already - I don't see how they wouldn't be prepared for it. The giant bomb community can be a little strange and a little vitriolic but I've seen far worse on twitter and the like.

The problem is that the new person is going to start behind an eight ball due to a large chunk of the audience hating them for not being Jeff Green/Brad Muir/Danny/Not being a woman/Being a woman/Caring too much about social issues/Not caring enough about social issues/Not liking their favorite genre/etc.

Patrick was hired when they were still owned by Whiskey.

Yeah, the advantage with Patrick was that they were able to quietly hire somebody before the public realized there was an opening. Unfortunately, working for a giant corporation doesn't allow that, so they had to swerve into publicizing it as much as possible angle.

big_z

I think GiantBomb.com should hire Garnett Lee. He is a gaming treasure.

Either Garnett or Arthur Gies.

although Arthur has a boner for giantbomb im not sure he'd quit polygon to take the job.

I still wish jeff green would have joined the team but for some reason he chose to sell vacuums door to door instead.

Anyone know what Shawn Elliott is up to? I cant remember if he got hired elsewhere after irrational left him on the side of the road. He seems to be temp banned on gaf over some diaper fetish comment.

The problem is that the new person is going to start behind an eight ball due to a large chunk of the audience hating them for not being Jeff Green/Brad Muir/Danny/Not being a woman/Being a woman/Caring too much about social issues/Not caring enough about social issues/Not liking their favorite genre/etc.

ya it doesn't matter who they hire theres a giantbomb sub group that will hate them for no reason. all they do day after day is troll their target. bunch of sad sacks they are. Ive seen some pretty tasteless comments towards female editors on other sites over the years so I fear if giantbomb hires a woman what their shitty fans will come do as a result.

Patryn

although Arthur has a boner for giantbomb im not sure he'd quit polygon to take the job.

I still wish jeff green would have joined the team but for some reason he chose to sell vacuums door to door instead.

Anyone know what Shawn Elliott is up to? I cant remember if he got hired elsewhere after irrational left him on the side of the road. He seems to be temp banned on gaf over some diaper fetish comment.

He joined Arkane Studios.

big_z

Giant Bomb wouldn't want a mass of people cancelling their subscriptions.

the Arthur hate is largely bullshit and I doubt people would cancel their subscription if he joined the crew. people didn't cancel when Patrick joined. instead some subscribers simply showed how crappy of a person they were.

the Arthur hate is largely bullshit and I doubt people would cancel their subscription if he joined the crew. people didn't cancel when Patrick joined. instead some subscribers simply showed how crappy of a person they were.

I would cancel my sub if Arthur joined.

Odd design choice in Bound by Flame to not include a shield OR rolling. And what's up with the enemies taking so little damage early in this game? GAF OT did mention that the game is hard so it definitely looks like it. Kind of a shame, I sorta appreciated the jankiness. The dialogue is hilarious. They make no attempt to make it sound like the usual fantasy stuff.

I don't know, but I couldn't even get thru that quicklook from the MC's prick voice and everyone talking in insults 100%. Ugly ugly game.

Into

Evilore never called Klepek the "most disreputable person in the enthusiast press". The two cannot be compared, ever.

Giant Bomb would never hire Gies, they are smarter than that.

Curufinwe

You're wrong. And there's no comparison between him and Patrick.

The day Arthur Gies joins the Giant Bomb staff is the same day I beat the world record in cancelling a Giant Bomb subscription.

Zaph

Considering the realistic hire suggestions, I definitively echo the sentiment that hopefully Jeff picks someone new to the industry.

Fact is, no matter how experienced you are, a job at GB is very different. Their culture and all the casual on-camera work will change most people.

You want someone without a largely established personality, so they can grow into the role without people claiming they're becoming more like X or just agreeing with Y because he's popular.

I would stop listening to the bombcast is Shawn Elliott joined. If Jeff Green joined as well to counter him, ok I could tolerate Shawn. Given the nature of the bombcast, Shawn would just run amok and ruin it.

graboids

was looking at images from that movie and this pic of Shia is a goatee away from looking like Patrick....

2631968-constantine-shia-labeouf-4480806-500-325.jpg

Haunted

How the fuck do you even compare Patrick to Gies?

Borderline insult, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom