• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
Anyone find it weird that 'known' people in the industry are announcing on twitter that they've applied for a job at GB? I mean they can't all get it, right? When I apply for a job I only tell the people closest to me so that if I don't get I don't feel embarrassed.

Yup...maybe it says a lot about those people.

FStop7

Banned
Anyone find it weird that 'known' people in the industry are announcing on twitter that they've applied for a job at GB? I mean they can't all get it, right? When I apply for a job I only tell the people closest to me so that if I don't get I don't feel embarrassed.

Passive aggressive way to get their Twitter minions to start campaigning for them. Either that or they're joking around.

They likely feel it ups their chances and continues the weird Giant Bomb fantasy football that happens here and on their forums.

LeBart

I read about Cara Ellison doing that, who else said they've applied?

im gonna need a list

Zaph

Totally weird. Especially if they have commitments.

We all want to move on to better things, but christ, show some discretion.

Sylas

I hope that GB doesn't bring on a "known" person. I think this is a fantastic opportunity to bring in someone that doesn't already have a fanbase (or angry mob, in some cases) and hopefully get some new dialogue going. Not to say the current stuff is getting old, but I'm really interested to see what type of person gets brought on board.

Not a lot of full time games press jobs going these days. Not shocked some people would be a bit desperate and want to call in favours / pull stings.

chogidogs

Giving them the benefit of a doubt that people are just legitimately asking them.

im gonna need a list

Zoe Quinn, Cara Ellison, Tyler Barber (rebelFM), Max Tempkin (although that might've been a joke? Sounds like him to do that.) Slow Beef/retsupurae, other smaller YouTubers. Not a great list if I'm honest but just one being so public about it is odd to me.

Giving them the benefit of a doubt that people are just legitimately asking them.

But I guess in some of those cases you might be right. Still, 'tis weird, I wouldn't be so public about it just in case I didn't get it, I'd feel pretty foolish.

Publicly announcing your application if you're well known is pretty shitty for your prospective employers, too. They're put in a position where they might have to publicly embarrass you, piss off your fans, set up expectations for something they didn't have in mind, etc.

Handling it delicately is the classy thing to do, even if people ask.

Myggen

I hope that GB doesn't bring on a "known" person. I think this is a fantastic opportunity to bring in someone that doesn't already have a fanbase (or angry mob, in some cases) and hopefully get some new dialogue going. Not to say the current stuff is getting old, but I'm really interested to see what type of person gets brought on board.

For the producer job, I agree and I think it's gonna be the case (not many producers who get any time on screen except for at GB). But the editor job? That person would be expected to do well on camera from day 1, and to do that you need experience. It would be impossible to know how natural a person is on camera without actually having seen them do that, and I highly doubt they'd be confident enough in a total unknown's ability there. I would be shocked if the person they hire for the editor gig is someone we've never heard of.

chogidogs

For the producer job, I agree and I think it's gonna be the case (not many producers who get any time on screen except for at GB). But the editor job? That person would be expected to do well on camera from day 1, and to do that you need experience. It would be impossible to know how natural a person is on camera without actually having seen them do that, and I highly doubt they'd be confident enough in a total unknown's ability there. I would be shocked if the person they hire for the editor gig is someone we've never heard of.

but... Hamst3r

Zaph

Publicly announcing your application if you're well known is pretty shitty for your prospective employers, too. They're put in a position where they might have to publicly embarrass you, piss off your fans, set up expectations for something they didn't have in mind, etc.

Pretty sure the ones who've spoken about it are freelance/self-employed. But still, I can't imagine it's very nice for the people who've announced they're working on projects with Zoe Quinn.

Etnos

Banned
Not sure whats going on in here, but I support hiring a female, I may even re-subscribe if they do that.

Giantbomb sausage fest can use some gender diversity.

Not sure whats going on in here, but I support hiring a female, I may even re-subscribe if they do that.

Giantbomb sausage fest can use some gender diversity.

We are talking about Game developers publicly announcing that their applying for the openings at GB. It is weird.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
For what it's worth, this is from February and I think it would be an awesome hire.

NN7nTN3.png

Cranzor

We are talking about Game developers publicly announcing that their applying for the openings at GB. It is weird.

As far as I know, Zoe Quinn is the only game developer who announced that she applied. I think the conversation is about people in general, not just game developers.

Besides GAFfers, everyone I've seen mention it so far are freelance, so that avoids this at least.

Tucah

you speak so well
I'm all for a female perspective in the crew but I hope it isn't either Zoe or Cara, neither are really my cup of tea.

Carrie please

daydream

Banned
Jeff will make the right call, I'm convinced.

Personally, while I like Ellison and Quinn just fine, I don't know how entertaining they'd be in a QL/UPF/whatever context. I think Cara would be a great "get" for the editorial part of the site, but that's not exactly what they're looking for at the moment, I don't think.

Jeff will make the right call.

DaBuddaDa

Jeff will make the right call, I'm convinced.

Personally, while I like Ellison and Quinn just fine, I don't know how entertaining they'd be in a QL/UPF/whatever context. I think Cara would be a great "get" for the editorial part of the site, but that's not exactly what they're looking for at the moment, I don't think.

Jeff will make the right call.

Right on. Jeff is one smart cookie and takes this stuff seriously and I'm sure he has a very clear vision in his head of what he wants. I trust he'll make a perfect pick.

Odrion

Banned
Zoe Quinn is an excellent writer/designer/speaker with a creative perspective on things and she fit really well with the GDC and Scoops show she was on. I think she'd be a good addition on the personality side of things, probably filling the Quick Look role Patrick had left and would primarily cover indie games while writing about the increasing social issues facing the industry.

Plus it'd make 4chan so mad, so mad.

Wait, why are we implying that 4chan has an inherently positive opinion of Giant Bomb again

Aside from Patrick (and Alex, by proxy), they seem to like most of the crew. Usually a thread pops up during live streams, etc.

But as with anything on /v/, the general attitude can shift large degrees at the drop of a hat.

Myggen

He already has a job. And to be honest, based in his tenure, the only way he'll go to giant bomb is if they'll let him run it.

Indeed. He said on one of his Dark Souls streams that he would love to work with the GB guys, that there's a lot of "mutual respect" there, but that there wasn't any open positions at the time. I doubt the dream of Jeff Green at GB will ever be a reality. I just hope he gets back into podcasting at some point, he expressed that he wanted to do some more of that stuff in a blogpost some time ago. It's such a shame (for us as an audience) that he's been in PR jobs for years now, and now he's moving into consulting.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It would be cool for Jeff Green to take a Gary Whitta role in regards to GB.

Not actually hired, but just appears on content often. He can get paid if he wants.

Xater

Indeed. He said on one of his Dark Souls streams that he would love to work with the GB guys, that there's a lot of "mutual respect" there, but that there wasn't any open positions at the time. I doubt the dream of Jeff Green at GB will ever be a reality. I just hope he gets back into podcasting at some point, he expressed that he wanted to do some more of that stuff in a blogpost some time ago. It's such a shame (for us as an audience) that he's been in PR jobs for years now, and now he's moving into consulting.

He's moving into consulting? That probably means I get to read and hear even less of him. That is really disappointing.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
He's moving into consulting? That probably means I get to read and hear even less of him. That is really disappointing.

He's already been in consulting the past couple months. He's still streaming Dark Souls though, and that's awesome.

Aside from Patrick (and Alex, by proxy), they seem to like most of the crew. Usually a thread pops up during live streams, etc.

But as with anything on /v/, the general attitude can shift large degrees at the drop of a hat.

That is actually surprising to me. Huh.

Course, like GAF, /v/ is not a hivemind, so it shouldn't be too shocking that there's people there who like GB. The anonymity does help give the opposite impression though, hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom