• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

That is actually surprising to me. Huh.

Course, like GAF, /v/ is not a hivemind, so it shouldn't be too shocking that there's people there who like GB. The anonymity does help give the opposite impression though, hehe.

GB seems to be pretty well liked in every gaming community I've seen them discussed, really. Something Awful is a big example of that. There's always the "but Patrick..." crowd, but in general I've always seen positive reactions when people talk about the site.

Zaph

GB seems to be pretty well liked in every gaming community I've seen them discussed, really. Something Awful is a big example of that. There's always the "but Patrick..." crowd, but in general I've always seen positive reactions when people talk about the site.
At this point, doesn't everyone just like GB by default? I mean, what are their options? IGN? So many outlets have been shut down or gutted that there isn't exactly a wealth of content aside from the YouTube dude-in-a-bedroom generation.

Myggen

At this point, doesn't everyone just like GB by default? I mean, what are their options? IGN? So many outlets have been shut down or gutted that there isn't exactly a wealth of content aside from the YouTube dude-in-a-bedroom generation.

I hear that Polygon is popular around these parts ;)

They should hire Karen. I don't even care that she probably knows nothing about games, we can have her play the FMV games with Vinny for the best video content.

What if they hire a attractive women whose entire job is to record daily recap videos? Isnt that what video game sites do now?

GB has to stay current.

I miss Karen. She should totally visit Giant Bomb still even if her brother's not there anymore. Isn't she dating Rorie anyway ? She should come up on UFs.

njean777

I don't mind gamespot either. I use both them and Giantbomb for game content, joystiq as well for news. Those are really the only three sites I go to for games other then youtube.

I go to Gamespot for The Point and their reviews. Polygon is pretty on-point when it comes to features and some review work. But yeah, less options than there used to be, I can't remember the last time I read something on IGN.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So whoever the hires are, do we know if it's supposed to happen before E3 or after? Because E3 is next month (damn time flies)

Heel

I wonder if half of these applicants realize they aren't signing up for "Kick back, make Quick Looks and get paid!" but rather "Have my every word and personality quirk scrutinized on a daily basis by an insatiable fanbase, who will accuse me of slacking off even when I work nights and weekends to deliver hours of daily content that they all somehow find time to watch, and gripe about the minute details within."

demidar

I wonder if half of these applicants realize they aren't signing up for "Kick back, make Quick Looks and get paid!" but rather "Have my every word and personality quirk scrutinized on a daily basis by an insatiable fanbase, who will accuse me of slacking off even when I work nights and weekends to deliver hours of daily content that they all somehow find time to watch, and gripe about the minute details within."

It'll be a case study in to "how to turn an optimist in to a cynical asshole".

Heel

I actually worry what a job at Giant Bomb would do to a gaming personality that I enjoy. I'm sure a lot of these people are used to scrutiny, but the uh...fans of this site turn it to 11.

As a small example, I'm pretty sure a fair amount of people in this thread have analyzed Drew's blinking patterns.

valeo

Anyone that goes into a job and thinks it'll just be a 'kick back and relax' type deal shouldn't be applying - doesn't matter what job it is.

Also, most people applying for this job are probably active on social media already - I don't see how they wouldn't be prepared for it. The giant bomb community can be a little strange and a little vitriolic but I've seen far worse on twitter and the like.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Are people applying to GB the ntelling twitter to try to use their followers to get them the job or something? Just what it sounds like.

Patrick just sort of appeared when he got hired.

erawsd

Also, most people applying for this job are probably active on social media already - I don't see how they wouldn't be prepared for it. The giant bomb community can be a little strange and a little vitriolic but I've seen far worse on twitter and the like.

Yeah but there is a difference. Right now they're probably speaking to friends, fans, and people that like them enough to follow their work. Joining GB opens them up to a whole new level of public scrutiny because they're becoming apart of something that people already love. Just look at the crap Patrick has to put up with after all these years. I think its def had an effect on him too, which is why he spends so much time talking about it and trying to fight back.

demidar

Where the hell is Garnett Lee these days anyway?

I completely fell lost interest in that awkward post EGM 1up phase.

Ever since ShackNews stopped paying for Weekend Confirmed, he's made his own one-man podcast Garnett on Games. I think he's also currently unemployed? But I'm not sure he lives in SF.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ever since ShackNews stopped paying for Weekend Confirmed, he's made his own one-man podcast Garnett on Games. I think he's also currently unemployed? But I'm not sure he lives in SF.

He stopped doing Shack a while ago when he went on to publish mobile games under Gamefly, but I believe Gamefly shut down their mobile publishing arm and presumably either he chose to left or was let go at that point.

Myggen

So whoever the hires are, do we know if it's supposed to happen before E3 or after? Because E3 is next month (damn time flies)

http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/85431256176/do-you-think-youll-have-a-new-editor-on-board-by-e3#notes

So they won't have a new editor on board by E3. I'm guessing the same goes for the producer gig. Jeff has said before that it's so difficult to find the right people for a job at GB, so he's gonna take his time.

http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/84878679986/the-new-guy-you-are-going-to-hire-sucks-and-doesnt-fit#notes

demidar

He stopped doing Shack a while ago when he went on to publish mobile games under Gamefly, but I believe Gamefly shut down their mobile publishing arm and presumably either he chose to left or was let go at that point.

Oh okay, I don't really know much about his situation besides what I can piece together on his podcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom