• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mully

I said the same thing in the big trailer reveal thread and somewhat bizarrely, it ruffled peoples feathers. I'll watch the Unfinished today, but I'm not surprised to hear this.

It's interesting to look at, but the combat and combo system seem boring.

frostyxc

Didn't someone say that those videos are done MST3k style where they talk over gameplay recorded earlier? I'd say that has a lot to do with it.

Wait... MST3K didn't do their riffing live while the movies were in production? I'm sad now...

As for the out-of-sink thing--it's not like Vincenzo and Drewl are checking the videos, seeing a slight OOS, and saying it's good enough then posting it. It's probably something that's going sideways during being shipped off to the compressor. At the least, blame DHL. They don't really have anything to do with it, but their trucks are stupid.

hamchan

You realise they work for the same company right?

Well yeah, ultimately they all work under the big corporate umbrella of CBSi but each website gets its own budget. It's really great for Jeff that people like Danny and Chris Watters appear on a lot of Giant Bomb content because he doesn't have to include them in his budget.

styl3s

Whoever said Jeff was making out like a bandit by Danny acting like a de facto employee and them never having to cut the guy a check was dead on.
You do know both GS and GB are both owned by the same company right? Danny stops by every now and then because he's friends with the crew and they work in the same building and it's why Jeff stopped in on the lounge show and Ryan did a couple of those podcast.

Take off your tinfoil hat.

Well yeah, ultimately they all work under the big corporate umbrella of CBSi but each website gets its own budget. It's really great for Jeff that people like Danny and Chris Watters appear on a lot of Giant Bomb content because he doesn't have to include them in his budget.
Why would he? Danny comes by and hangs out for a couple hours maybe once a week.

Again, same checkbook. You act like they are fucking slave laboring this guy for nothing.

hamchan

You do know both GS and GB are both owned by the same company right? Danny stops by every now and then because he's friends with the crew and they work in the same building and it's why Jeff stopped in on the lounge show and Ryan did a couple of those podcast.

Why would he? Danny comes by and hangs out for a couple hours maybe once a week.

Again, same checkbook. You act like they are fucking slave laboring this guy for nothing.

I think you need to read better.

It's a FACT that it's good for Giant Bomb's accounting that these guys appear for free.

No one is trying to place a malicious intent on what is happening. You seem to think we're criticizing Jeff for this when we're very aware it's just a happy consequence of the two sites being very friendly with each other. It just is what it is.

Kerned

Banned
Is it just me or does sunset overdrive look way too slow?

It absolutely does. There is something almost lethargic about it. Maybe it feels different when you are playing it, but I 100% agree with you.

edit: Leisurely. Lethargic is too strong a word. It seems leisurely.

Stimpack

It's nothing to do with the video player, mind. I'm streaming their videos via Chrome's VLC plug-in and the audio is seriously out-of-sync - they're uploading the videos in that state. (Or they break after the fact - I don't know.) Either way, they need some way of making sure their videos are in an acceptable state before making them available to us.

I hope when the new producer comes in (and once E3 has passed), Drew and Vinny will be able to be a lot more on top of video quality.

I hadn't really stopped to think much about it, but I do remember them saying there was trouble with recording itself. The video player bit is more of an insult to injury in my mind. I guess it just seems like stuff breaks fairly often, and takes a lengthy amount of time to get fixed. I'm sure they'd like to have all of these issues fixed just as much, or more, though. I imagine it gets to be a real hassle.

I really thought the whole GameSpot thing would put them in a better place so things like this wouldn't happen so often. Hopefully the new hires will be able to help a bit, like you say. Vinny and Drew are definitely great.

Mully

It's weird how some people don't realize that friendships exist. Danny, Jeff, Chris, etc just want to hang and help each other out. That's what friends do.

cdViking

You clearly have no idea how companies are structured and what accounting rules require. Did you know that when subsidiaries of the same company do business with each other, they have to have arm's length prices paid for the transaction, despite having the same corporate parent?

Even though I'm 99% sure Giant Bomb is no longer its own entity, I wouldn't be surprised if Danny's time is billed to them, especially during the normal working hours.

popo

They should try and get Brad and Drew on the Gamespot payroll. Alex already writes for tv.com so have them pay up. 1up survived for years by having EGM pay for 90% of the staff, only when EGM closed were they fooked.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Great upf. Can anyone tell me what exactly Brad was saying about the phrasing of moving country or house? Two people talked at once when he specified what he was talking about and I couldn't make it out.

Curufinwe

You clearly have no idea how companies are structured and what accounting rules require. Did you know that when subsidiaries of the same company do business with each other, they have to have arm's length prices paid for the transaction, despite having the same corporate parent?

Even though I'm 99% sure Giant Bomb is no longer its own entity, I wouldn't be surprised if Danny's time is billed to them, especially during the normal working hours.

It seems unlikely that they track hourly time like a law firm.

Haunted

I think maybe I will need to ditch all capital letters to indicate jokes and go with the tried-and-true "/s" but it seems less funny overall to do that.

vs.

Ehhh.
No no, your post was fine, rudds was at fault here for misunderstanding. Gots to learn the longtime members of NeoGAF just like everyone else. He'd be the first to get Astrolad'd, how else is he going to learn!

Myggen

It seems unlikely that they track hourly time like a law firm.

Yeah, don't buy that for a second. I'm guessing they're on normal salaries, and that their time spent in different parts of the office isn't "billed" to anyone like that.

Anyways, from Twitter it seems like Rorie's part of the stream today won't be archived on the site, while the Danny/Alexis/guests part will (they'll even have Ian and his majestic beard in the control room!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom