• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

why did it get such shitty reviews?

two reasons: moment to moment gameplay is pretty shit unless you spec pistols, and most of the good stuff only really becomes apparent once you start comparing your own playthroughs to that of other people because of the way the game branches.

M3z_

It is a game full of really cool ideas that are executed averagely at best. If the concepts behind the game had been done at a high level the game would of been phenomenal. Ended up being enjoyable but disappointing for me.

Zomba13

Alpha Protocol was awesome. I should play through it again going with different handlers. I played through as a pistol/sneaky man so some bosses were a bit tough (I think I put some points into shotgun?).

FluxWaveZ

Watching this really makes me want to play Alpha Protocol again. Sure, the game had its flaws, but it also accomplished the promise of branching paths better than most games out there, and its setting was refreshing, especially for an RPG.

I think of Assassin's Creed. A sequel to AP could have been genuinely amazing.

Kimaka

Alpha Protocol was awesome. I should play through it again going with different handlers. I played through as a pistol/sneaky man so some bosses were a bit tough (I think I put some points into shotgun?).

Brayko was hard a fuck if you played a stealth build. I had to exploit a glitch to defeat him.

why did it get such shitty reviews?

edit: I guess they weren't all that negative

It was directly compared to Mass Effect 2 (which was one reason Sega delayed it pointlessly) and ME2 was the hot shit. It was similar, but different in a lot of key ways, and a lot of people (don't know about reviewers, but impressions) weren't eager to be kind to the differences.

kvk1

I absolutely adored Alpha Protocol. Flaws and all.

I have no idea how there isn't a crazy market for modern espionage-RPG games.

Alpha Protocol sure could fight the player at times (the end of that one embassy mission was hard as balls for no real reason), but it was an amazing experience overall.

Also, that reminds me of this post from 2012:

A couple years back, I was at PAX East, and there was a discussion about storytelling in games, I think with a focus on RPGs. There were a few Bioware people on the panel.

At one point the idea of putting a timer on dialogue choices came up. The entire panel roundly mocked the idea, saying that players would hate it and arguing that's why no developer has ever tried implementing it, saying the closest anyone came was Bioware's Paragon and Renegade interrupts.

This was almost a year after Alpha Protocol came out.

EDIT:

I absolutely adored Alpha Protocol. Flaws and all.

I have no idea how there isn't a crazy market for modern espionage-RPG games.

Now you've doubly reminded me that apparently BioWare was coincidentally working on an espionage RPG at around the same time, but it got cancelled because EA didn't like it.

I think people think so fondly of Alpha Protocol's positive aspects that they forget that half of the mechanics in the game are broken and at launch it was plagued with game breaking bug after game breaking bug. Assume most of the latter has been fixed but things like the stealth and boss battles remain abysmal. A lot of the game is just poor in a way that other Obsidian games aren't. Shame we won't get a sequel given the potential, my Thorton had so many things left to discover ;-;

Brashnir

two reasons: moment to moment gameplay is pretty shit unless you spec pistols, and most of the good stuff only really becomes apparent once you start comparing your own playthroughs to that of other people because of the way the game branches.

When the best part of the game doesn't involve playing the game, that's a pretty good sign that it's a bad game.

Make no mistake, Sega delaying that game and not allowing Obsidian to work on it during that six month period really fucked that game's chances of success over.

Zocano

Arguing for Alpha Protocol in GB chat is like fighting a brick wall sometimes.

edit: It just makes me sad when people are so set on thinking a game is bad if it plays differently than they're used to.

rbanke

Arguing for Alpha Protocol in GB chat is like fighting a brick wall sometimes.

edit: It just makes me sad when people are so set on thinking a game is bad if it plays differently than they're used to.

I really liked it, I never finished it because my PS3 died and I lost my save. I also own it on PC, some day I'll revisit it. Definitely don't think its worthy of all the negativity it seems to get.

Jintor

When the best part of the game doesn't involve playing the game, that's a pretty good sign that it's a bad game.

Depends what you want out of a game. Alpha Protocol was not a good moment to moment game, apart from most of the writing, but it is one of the best ones I look back upon.

Myggen

Lol, Danny seems tired/drunk. The best combo! That's what Arsenal winning the cup get you (as a Tottenham fan, I'm not bitter at all!).

edit: And have another vote for Alpha Protocol being awesome! A really flawed game, but I love it.

Myggen

I haven't seen a link to this new GB Chrome extension here yet: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/gb-season-pass-extension-multi-part-videos-made-ea-1483585/

It's a Google Chrome extension that will detect whether the video you're watching is split up into parts (e.g. VinnyVania Part 2 or E3 2011 Day 2) and automatically bring the other parts over to you in a sidebar that's integrated right into the video player. Perfect for stitching together Endurance Runs, 24-Hour Extra Life streams, GDC chats with a side of Buckfast, PAX panels, and of course it's safe for the occasional multi-part Puppy Chat.

edit: And here comes Ian's epic beard. My God that man can grow a beard! Also, this must be the first stream in GB history without any actual GB employees (until Drew arrives)? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom