• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone start a new thread for this, it's huge news.

I thought about it but I'm not sure if it's really threadworthy. I mean, it's huge news for Giant Bomb fans who love to watch and listen to their content, yeah, but if that's the case then both this and this week's Bombcast thread will have the news. They'll read it and hear about it. Otherwise, "Videogamesman moves from one office to other office while still working for the same site," won't really register.

Van Owen

Banned
The appeal of GB for me was 4/5 guys working out of a basement. This really doesn't sit well with me, since the content that has come out if the other "offices" hasn't been interesting to me in the slightest.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
GB seems to be about done in my opinion (oh no the sky is falling!). It's been feeling like that since Ryan passed and Patrick left and his solo content/Skype call ins are not the same, and it won't be different with Vinny. What WILL be different is that Vinny is pretty much the backbone of GB for most of us, so this is a much bigger deal than when Patrick left (no offense scoops)

Getting new people would already be hard to sell in a site as personal as this (just look at Patrick's reception to this day), with the arguably most beloved member leaving (yeah yeah he's not leaving...but he kinda is) it will be even harder for people to accept them. Also Jeff seems more and more jaded and just not having fun to me. Of course this is all super subjective and just my opinion.

I haven't resubbed in months because I felt the quality overall of the stuff was in decline, and this pretty much seals the deal for me. It was awesome while it lasted, even if it doesn't technically die here

People who are into giant bomb know who Vinny is and those people will find out pretty soon.

If they don't they won't know who he is unlike someone like Jeff.

hamchan

So I guess we get Scoops and the Wolf sponsored by Vinn Co now.

But now we lose Vinny on Bombcast, QLs and UPF? And VinnyVania is just gonna be him and Alex? Oh no!

The new people better be the best people on Earth to replace mr Vinny.

But yeah, this is the end of an era. Now it's just Brad and Jeff from the original crew that's left in SF.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The appeal of GB for me was 4/5 guys working out of a basement. This really doesn't sit well with me, since the content that has come out if the other "offices" hasn't been interesting to me in the slightest.

Yeah, but now they have vinny.

- J - D -

tumblr_mjgfege9EK1ra44sfo1_r1_400.gif

GB seems to be about done in my opinion (oh no the sky is falling!). It's been feeling like that since Ryan passed and Patrick left and his solo content/Skype call ins are not the same, and it won't be different with Vinny. What WILL be different is that Vinny is pretty much the backbone of GB for most of us, so this is a much bigger deal than when Patrick left (no offense scoops)

Getting new people would already be hard to sell in a site as personal as this (just look at Patrick's reception to this day), with the arguably most beloved member leaving (yeah yeah he's not leaving...but he kinda is) it will be even harder for people to accept them. Also Jeff seems more and more jaded and just not having fun to me. Of course this is all super subjective and just my opinion.

I haven't resubbed in months because I felt the quality overall of the stuff was in decline, and this pretty much seals the deal for me. It was awesome while it lasted, even if it doesn't technically die here

What do you mean?

Don't blame you. The premium content has been few and far between if you're on into DOTA.

MrDaravon

It works there because it's a 1-on-1 deal for the most part (+guest). With the long form conversation format of the Bombcast, there's no doubt in my mind that Skype would make it worse. You can already feel it when Patrick is there just for the news segments.

Yup. When everyone involved is on Skype it's fine, but when you have multiple people in a location + 1 or more people on Skype it's very noticeable on every single podcast that I listen to that does it. There are podcasts I've outright stopped listening to as a result. The chemistry doesn't work when you have 3 people in a room and a 4th who is on a very slight delay as well as not being physically present. You can make it work okay, but it's impossible to be the same.

All of that aside unless they absolutely nail it out of the fucking park with dream hires I just don't see this working. With the current split in staff locations, Ryan's passing and (arguable) lack of sub content I've pretty much completely stopped going to the site altogether outside of the bombcast and occasional specific quicklooks I'm directed to. It's still my favorite podcast at the end of the day and I love all of the guys, but for a number of reasons the dynamic has hugely changed and I'm really struggling to see this as a good thing for the site. Obviously it is for Vinny and I'm super happy for him, he's awesome and I wish him the best.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm caling it, Jeff is leaving in the next year. It already feels like he doesn'T give a fuck in the last 6months-1year so it's the logical next step.

njean777

Yeah good luck to Vinny, will be great to have him and Alex together. I really enjoy hearing Alex on the AM casts and wish he would write more. I loved his little articles he did like a year ago and wish he would have continued.

I'm actually pretty impressed that I haven't seen any asking for a refund on subscription or they owe us posts.

I'd actually consider asking this if Vinny were quitting, because then it would seem like the premium subscription sale was an attempt to cash in before he left. But fortunately that isn't the case!

In Giant Bomb I trust.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
srsly tho, good luck to vinny on his endeavors. Making the move seems like the smart choice.

Having kids without any family around for support sounds terrible. I see the support my brother gets from all the family surrounding them and doing it without that seems crazy if there is the option.

elfinke

Lol at the responses in here.

The move sounds great, the idea of homemade KFC Vinny burgers terrific. Combined with the opportunity for more and varied content plus room for the new staff to grow in SF. Man, bring it on.

Good luck to Vinny during the move: moving is stressful at the best of times and I've never done it with a young family involved.

Dumb autocorrect.

I don't want to be "that guy" because I still love this site to death, but this is like season 9 of Scrubs or something at this point.

I wish Vinny the best, but man, it really is the end of an era.

FHIZ

What's going to happen when Sleeping Dogs Triad Wars comes out? I need Brad in the quick look passenger seat getting increasingly uncomfortable with Vinny's maniacal open world tendencies!

njean777

I'm caling it, Jeff is leaving in the next year. It already feels like he doesn'T give a fuck in the last 6months-1year so it's the logical next step.

If you have watched any of his recent jar times he does give a fuck. They finally got the go to hire new people like 2 months ago or so.

Harpuia

Wow. I'm with others saying that Vinny leaving is such a huge blow to their content. Sure he'll probably get up to some kind of shenanigans with Alex, but at the end of the day, he's leaving. :( I hope that the new guys they've got waiting bring their A-game and then some, because there's a huge void waiting to be filled.

I wish Vinny all the best in New York, but this is an incredible disappointment.

I hope I'm not attacked for expressing my opinion but, and there's no real other way to say it, I truly dislike Alex. I'm sure he's a wonderful guy to know in real life, but I can't say I've ever enjoyed anything he's been involved in for Giant Bomb.

Couple this move with the lacklustre offering of premium content for months now and I can't see myself subbing again.

Oh well, end of an era and all that. Hopefully the E3 livestreams are great.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Welp. There goes that. Its probably where he wants to be but Vinny with those guys in SF is the best part of the site.

I'll probably end up canceling soon.

Lol at the responses in here.

The move sounds great, the idea of homemade KFC Vinny burgers terrific. Combined with more content and room for the new staff to grow in SF. Man, bring it on.

Good luck to Vinny during the move: moving is stressful at the best of times and I've never done it with a young family in tow.

If it was between losing Vinny totally and having him in NY, then sure, it's a no-brainer to keep him on. But Vinny's strength is his ability to be engaging, funny, and almost always upbeat on livestreams/podcasts, and draw the best out of whomever he's working with. The idea of him only interacting with Alex, possibly the least liked GB member, in some weird offshoot has disappointing written all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom