• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
duaubdE.png
Oh that pat sajak

I think this is the real question.

If they are going to do this, and brand it as "GBNY" then they should really make a big effort for it. I don't think the "everyone works from home thing" will fly much longer.

Vinny is a producer first and foremost. So I would certainly hope they get the space to shoot some footage

That's pretty much exactly what Vinny outlined in his post. What else would Vinny be doing? He's a video producer.

There's so much doom and gloom in this thread, y'all should actually read the post and stop inventing context when it's all laid out for you.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Still odd to have "Chicago" be an at-home employee and 2 non-employee's.

I'd rather have all of GB move to NYC, to be honest :p
One of these days, the Brad joke will actually happen.

Umm....well.....sadness :( I feel like this is Giantbomb falling apart. The chemistry of the guys was the reason i loved Giantbomb, individual content with specific people spread worldwide, bombcasts and quicklooks with just brad and jeff, gonna be a depressing place i think

Tan

This all ends with Brad being the last person in the SF offices doesn't it? Thanks, guys.

This really sucks though :( The new-hires ought to be really good otherwise it's going to be a quiet bombcast.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That's pretty much exactly what Vinny outlined in his post. What else would Vinny be doing? He's a video producer.

There's so much doom and gloom in this thread, y'all should actually read the post and stop inventing context when it's all laid out for you.

Vinny's role as video producer is not what makes him so popular with everyone. People love Editor Vinny.

rbanke

I should preface the following by saying I always wish all the duders nothing but the best regardless of my entertainment. If everyone of them moving or quitting or whatever is what they need to do, then of course more power to them, but that doesn't mean we can't be a bit bummed.

This move really feels like another (major) level of dilution of what I feel has made GB great. I could listen to Jeff talk about installing sprinkler systems all day, he just has a knack for making anything he talks about interesting. Vinny is just all around a funny motherfucker. On their own, they are great. Together they are another level. Thats about how I feel when it came to Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, & Brad. They are all great but together they are amazing. And again, this just feels like diluting the magic. Nobody that's come after has really done it for me like they did. (Drew is great though) I'm really hoping this turns out to be something awesome, but I can't help thinking that in a few months, or next year or two this will all just end in some announcement that CBSi has decided to shut down Giant Bomb. They will all scatter to the winds and this will all be a memory. Really hope that doesn't happen.

Purple_Tentacle

Neo Member
The idea that Jeff is leaving is crazy; dude lives and breathes this job. if he seems wiped out it's because of the challenges, financially and logistically, of keeping gb growing.

Also I hope people bitching about sub prices and premium only content take a hard look at what free-riding can reap. Sustaining a life around San Fran and producing content with minimal ads - can't be easy to make that work.

Harpuia

The podcast is already kinda weird with Jeff/Drew/Brad/Vinny.

I don't know how to explain it, but Brad and Drew are like the straight men to the crazyness that is Jeff, Vinny, and Ryan.

A Jeff/Drew/Brad cast would be really dry.

All this is making me extremely curious about what the new additions mean. Unless they manage to grab some guests every podcast, which is very unlikely...though Danny being a main would be neat.

nbthedude

jesus fucking christ

this is pretty much the worst fucking main g ever

fuck man

this shit can't even be downplayed, extreme concern is the appropriate reaction

what is giant bomb now

vinny needs to be on the bombcast, vinny needs to be on quick looks

can somebody please find ja rule, get a hold of this motherfucker so i can make sense of all this

where is ja

Yeah it is really bad in my opinion. Jeff and the other guys have always talked about the important dynamic of being in the same room for the podcasts and the same goes for quick looks and all their other content.

There is literally only one thing I think they could do to save the rapport of their main office content: hire Jeff Green. He is literally the only o e who for sure isn't leaving Berkeley and who is seasoned, charismatic and gels enough with the other guys to fill the hole.

Above all else, I'm happy for Vinny if it means being closer to family and easier on living expenses.

Change is always a scary thing, but I'm actually pretty excited about all the shakeups, what with new hires and all.

jgminto

Whoa, Vinny teaming up with Alex in NY is crazy. I guess I'd be down for Vinny/Alex stuff though and if they expand some more there that should be fun.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Vinny's role as video producer is not what makes him so popular with everyone. People love Editor Vinny.

He's loved for both "On-Air" ability and the control room (always has the best comedic timing on when to mess with the video)

Serious question, I don't mean this in an insulting way, but what is with these guys moving back to be close to family lately?

I love my family as much as the next guy, but if I could move thousands of miles away, I would. The time comes for people to get out of the nest, and be on their own, and Patrick, Vinny and Alex all moving back to their home states just seems super weird to me. If I ever get out of Wisconsin, I would not want to come back. Even if I had kids, I'd rather just raise them on my own. My brother has kids, and ever since he had them, he seems to cut off his parents and his brothers ever since, even though we live like 30 minutes away.

Serious question, I don't mean this in an insulting way, but what is with these guys moving back to be close to family lately?

I love my family as much as the next guy, but if I could move thousands of miles away, I would. The time comes for people to get out of the nest, and be on their own, and Patrick, Vinny and Alex all moving back to their home states just seems super weird to me. If I ever get out of Wisconsin, I would not want to come back. Even if I had kids, I'd rather just raise them on my own. My brother has kids, and ever since he had them, he seems to cut off his parents and his brothers ever since, even though we live like 30 minutes away.

Vinny's Italian. Mystery solved.

The last year has felt like the season of The Office where Andy was in charge. Hasn't felt right even though the majority of everything has stayed the same. I could see why dramatic change might be necessary to keep the rhythm going. This next chapter will be Parks and Recreation and all will be fine again.

how old are you

Khezu

I wouldn't mind Rorie having a more editorial role.

It's kinda weird, but I like Rorie, but I like him by himself.
His livestream last week was great, just him talking to himself and the chat.

When he is with other people, it's not as good. He becomes a bit awkward.

Chanser

Cost of living plays a big role.

I feel like Jeff wants to kill Brad every time Brad leads a QL with him on. With more chances for this QL combo to happen, I hope Brad can survive.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's kinda weird, but I like Rorie, but I like him by himself.
His livestream last week was great, just him talking to himself and the chat.

When he is with other people, it's not as good. He becomes a bit awkward.

So true. Rorie on his own was so good.

Into

Things were never going to stay the same, they never do. Them going back to CBS, Ryan's unexpected death, Patrick moving are all just reminders how life tends to work.

Enjoy the fact that the site is still going, its not going to last forever. I am hoping VinnyVania continues in some form, and that they use Skype for Bombcasts to get "eastside" more involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom