• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm caling it, Jeff is leaving in the next year. It already feels like he doesn'T give a fuck in the last 6months-1year so it's the logical next step.

To go where? What would he do instead? I don't see Jeff leaving, I think Jeff is just getting saltier over the years.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If they get an actual legit office in NY the content coming out of there will be fine. If they work from home like Patrick...

BearPawB

Banned
Of course the knee jerk reaction is one of "total disaster".

Vinny is great. And him not being in the office will be a large blow. A lot if what makes the site work is the face to face interaction..

But he is still in the giant bomb family. It's better than him leaving all together. And it just means vinny will be running even more ridiculous things. More vinny casts. More goofy videos. We are going to see what a vinny run giant bomb would look like. And it could look amazing.

That being said, they better bring it with the new hires.

Kerned

Banned
Best of luck to Vinny with his move, it's definitely the right choice for his family. Also, maybe this will help BitAM become worth watching. Unfortunately, his absence from the SF studio is going to be a huge detriment to everything from live shows to quick looks to the Bombcast. GB is really in a place right now.

ref

I'll be honest, a lot of the reason I like GiantBomb is because of Vinny, he's also the reason I subscribed.

I love his humor and his laugh is so damn contagious. I would be lying if I said I didn't skip videos because Vinny wasn't in them.

This is a bummer on one level. But, I love Vinny. That guy has brought me so many laughs and smiles over the years that I can't help but be happy for his move if it's in his and his family's best interests. He's given me more than my money's worth as a premium member.

Alfredo

Shocking news, honestly. :O

I'm gonna miss Vinny's zany segments on Unprofessional Fridays, but at least he has trained Drew well in video antics.

I hope they can still have Vinny as a regular on the podcast.

Megasoum

Banned
To go where? What would he do instead? I don't see Jeff leaving, I think Jeff is just getting saltier over the years.

He's been talking for years (even before Ryan's death) that he was thinking about doing something completly different outside of the video games world.

FluxWaveZ

Silver Lining Alert:

Alex doesn't have the same prejudicial hate for Endurance Runs that Jeff has.

But then there's the part where I really need to enjoy listening to the people going through an Endurance Run to enjoy the Endurance Run.

Then again, with Persona 4, Phantasmagoria, BioForge, Deadly Premonition... the constant there was Vinny, so that could work.

"Um" "Uh" *Awkward laugh* "Hmmmm"

Nailed it.

dugdug

Banned
I'll be honest, a lot of the reason I like GiantBomb is because of Vinny.

I love his humor and his laugh is so damn contagious. I would be lying if I said I skipped videos because Vinny wasn't in them.

This sucks =(

Same. I'm legit happy for him, but, he was my last reason for listening to the show. I clicked with his humor and taste the most out of anyone at GB.

Best of luck to him, though.

Of course the knee jerk reaction is one of "total disaster".

Vinny is great. And him not being in the office will be a large blow. A lot if what makes the site work is the face to face interaction..

But he is still in the giant bomb family. It's better than him leaving all together. And it just means vinny will be running even more ridiculous things. More vinny casts. More goofy videos. We are going to see what a vinny run giant bomb would look like. And it could look amazing.

That being said, they better bring it with the new hires.

I just cringe at the idea that now if I want to experience any content from Vinny, I'm gonna have to put up with Alex. I've been able to ignore that he was even a part of giant bomb for the most part. On the rare occassion, I'll listen to scoops and the wolf cuz I do like hearing what patrick has to say, but alex's opinion on anything just means shit to me. His reviews are useless to me because I almost never agree with his perspective. Ugh... I just have a hard time seeing the positive side of this story as a content viewer.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I pretty much only care about the Vinny content. I really don't care for everybody else, as they're all super jaded. I get too much of that personally and here. Him and Jeff are the only two people I think work really well together, with him and Drew in a close second.

:(

Who's the dude with the Irish accent? I feel like he has had a pretty appropriate personality for the site. Wonder if they're going to rope him in.

Yeah I don't know; ever since Ryan passed I've been questioning ending my subscription. I'll keep it going while they transition just because I respect the guys so much. But I'll probably end it soon.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
I pretty much only care about the Vinny content. I really don't care for everybody else, as they're all super jaded. I get too much of that personally and here. Him and Jeff are the only two people I think work really well together, with him and Drew in a close second.

This.

Mr. F

Banned
New hires are still ongoing, and Vinny will probably need time to settle into life/the new office in NY (if it's a standalone space and not working from home). Wonder how this will impact content in the meantime considering it'll just be Drew for a bit and e3 prep is probably going to demand a lot.

Volotaire

Who's the dude with the Irish accent? I feel like he has had a pretty appropriate personality for the site. Wonder if they're going to rope him in.

Yeah I don't know; ever since Ryan passed I've been questioning ending my subscription. I'll keep it going while they transition just because I respect the guys so much. But I'll probably end it soon.

Danny O'Dwyer? He's working for gamespot at the moment, and it seems he wants to work for them in the future by the sound of what he has said in the past.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Nope. Best we can hope for is Danny continues to join in on the shenanigans like he has this past month or two.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Hmmm....

They need to set up ISDN or something. Something stronger than Skype/Google Hangout.

Need to kidnap Dave and Brad Muir.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Danny? He won't leave gamespot for GB

Danny o Dwyer, who's a part of Gamespot. I'd agree he'd be a welcome addition, but no one can replace Vinny. I also doubt Gamespot would want to give up Danny.

Harpuia

If this long term investment actually works out and Giantbomb develops into a conglomerate-giant led by three teams, Giantbomb SF, Giantbomb Chicago and Giantbomb NY, I welcome this with open arms. I hope this pays off somehow. My optimism is envisioning a world where each of the three have their own mini-teams and expand how Jeff and co hope it to.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If this long term investment actually works out and Giantbomb develops into a conglomerate-giant led by three teams, Giantbomb SF, Giantbomb Chicago and Giantbomb NY, I welcome this with open arms. I hope this pays off somehow. My optimism is envisioning a world where each of the three have their own mini-teams and expand how Jeff and co hope it to.

Maybe Iron Galaxy will fail and Lang will join GB Chicago.

BearPawB

Banned
Wait... does this mean GB new york is getting a office and possibility new staff?

I think this is the real question.

If they are going to do this, and brand it as "GBNY" then they should really make a big effort for it. I don't think the "everyone works from home thing" will fly much longer.

Vinny is a producer first and foremost. So I would certainly hope they get the space to shoot some footage

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The GB article says he's moving next week, so before E3. Guess that makes sense, moves out, settles in, meets up with the crew in LA for E3 then flies back to NY

duaubdE.png

Khezu

The podcast is already kinda weird with Jeff/Drew/Brad/Vinny.

I don't know how to explain it, but Brad and Drew are like the straight men to the crazyness that is Jeff, Vinny, and Ryan.

A Jeff/Drew/Brad cast would be really dry.

I agree. Drew has a really good personality in that he's at least not as cynical (which is the main thing Vinny took the brunt of since Ryan passed), but he just doesn't play that many videogames. Drew seems like a completely sweet dude, but I could give two shits about F1 racing or the inner workings of a submarine.

I would actually listen to a Vinny/Patrick podcast, as they are the two I tend to drive towards the most. Patrick is a legit inspiration to me, he's fair, driven, and takes the job deadly serious. Plus he actively goes out of his comfort zone and tries to better himself/expand his horizons. I love Jeff, but he likes to just call things dumb and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom