• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RE_Player

It's kinda weird, but I like Rorie, but I like him by himself.
His livestream last week was great, just him talking to himself and the chat.

When he is with other people, it's not as good. He becomes a bit awkward.
That's kind of what I'm saying though. His reviews and video features on Screened were great in my opinion.

When people say New York is expensive they're talking about Manhattan.

Well I assume he's going to be in or near there since he'll be working with Alex. I doubt even the suburbs or other places outside of the city are what I would consider "cheap" especially as someone who lives in wisconsin, where our min wage is still like only $7.25.

chogidogs

Jeff mentioned on his tumblr that they are hiring more dudes later this year. I'm guessing those guys are probably gonna be NY dudes, right?

Branson

I'm happy for Vinny if it makes him happier, I guess I'm just surprised that someone would move from a place and job space that someone would love to have. Working in shitty jobs my entire life I dont really know what it feels like to have such a fun looking job as him. Moving away from that is strange to me. It will suck to not have him in the SF offices with Jeff, Drew, and Brad anymore. I'm curious to how this works out.

ev0

Well I assume he's going to be in or near there since he'll be working with Alex. I doubt even the suburbs or other places outside of the city are what I would consider "cheap" especially as someone who lives in wisconsin, where our min wage is still like only $7.25.

Alex lives in Queens, which is not Manhattan. People who live in Manhattan who then have families move to Queens all the time because space/rent is a much better value.

And it's all about cost of living commensurate to where you live. Vinny isn't getting Wisconsin pay (no offense). And coming from SF it's probably a better value.

I'm happy for Vinny if it makes him happier, I guess I'm just surprised that someone would move from a place and job space that someone would love to have. Working in shitty jobs my entire life I dont really know what it feels like to have such a fun looking job as him. Moving away from that is strange to me. It will suck to not have him in the SF offices with Jeff, Drew, and Brad anymore. I'm curious to how this works out.

Yeah, thiis is kinda what I relate to also. I have wasted so much of my life I feel because the opportunities here fucking suck compared to other parts of the country. I would LOVE to live in an area near SF, because it's full of such culture and creativity. VInny has like the dream job for some one like me who also enjoys video production, but whatever.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The best analogy I can think of (especially in a personality based website) is TV shows. And this just feels like late season of your favorite show, when half the cast left and got replaced... Or when a cast member splinters off to make a spin off. And those always turn out great right guys? :)

To each it's own, I'm not going to boycott GB or anything, but to say this is fine and nothing will change is just silly. In my opinion (again, this has been happening for months) the site just doesn't feel the same anymore, and this only aggravates that.

I'm pretty gutted, although I can't blame Vinny for wanting to get out of SF. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with split offices.

Good on Vinny doing what he feels he needs to I suppose but this really dampens my current enthusiasm for the site. No offense to Alex as I'm sure he's a great guy but I just do not like his style of video content and having to get through that to see Vinny is really getting me down. They just don't have the same duo groove but I'm sure that will come with time.

Really hope they talk more about this new blood soon because otherwise this feels almost like the end given how many people are splitting off everywhere.

*opens thread*

Oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no

Phatmac

Giant Bomb has just had awful news for the past couple of months. The new people have to come in and somehow replace Vinny who is irreplaceable. Fuck man, I'm worried :( Vinny and Jeff are giant bomb to me. Losing a piece of it is death for the giant bomb I love. Damnit. :((((((((

Nishastra

Banned
Hrm. I don't quite think that Vinny is the linchpin of Giant Bomb, but a video with him in it was almost always one worth watching.

He talks about how spreading out will allow more people to make more content, but I worry that it'll be more content that I don't really care to watch. The stuff that I like that doesn't have Vinny in it is kind of inherently unusual because it involves people who have jobs other than being involved in Giant Bomb videos, like Alexis and Danny.

Jeff's fine on his own. I'd watch him do Bombasticas or just play Flashback all day long, but he hasn't actually been doing much of that lately.

No Vinny probably means less Drew unless they're hiring a lot of people, because they were already always balancing in order to have one of them on camera while still keeping things functional.

Really, I'm struggling to find an upside.

Pudge

I'm strangely OK with this. This is the kind of stuff that needs to happen after something as insane as Ryan's death. You gotta shake things up and let new things grow. The charity stream with just Danny, Alexis, Rorie and Ian showed me that Giant Bomb isn't just the original four duders, its an attitude and a unique voice.

I wish Vinny the best and I can't wait to see what crazy stuff he ends up doing without Jeff around calling the shots.

Hrm. I don't quite think that Vinny is the linchpin of Giant Bomb, but a video with him in it was almost always one worth watching.

He talks about how spreading out will allow more people to make more content, but I worry that it'll be more content that I don't really care to watch. The stuff that I like that doesn't have Vinny in it is kind of inherently unusual because it involves people who have jobs other than being involved in Giant Bomb videos, like Alexis and Danny.

Jeff's fine on his own. I'd watch him do Bombasticas or just play Flashback all day long, but he hasn't actually been doing much of that lately.

No Vinny probably means less Drew unless they're hiring a lot of people, because they were already always balancing in order to have one of them on camera while still keeping things functional.

Really, I'm struggling to find an upside.

Yep..and I know i'm beating a dead horse at this point, but as much as I like Vinny, I don't think he can make Alex any less annoying. The combination of Jeff and Vinny have made some of the best content on the site, and on the internet I think personally. Losing that dynamic is just a huge blow.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
He talks about how spreading out will allow more people to make more content, but I worry that it'll be more content that I don't really care to watch.

Pretty much. Like, I'm sorry but I don't give a fuck about anything "GB Chicago" does. I rarely watch the Alex/Patrick thing anymore, and quick look solos are just boring.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
It's weird that they talked up all these ideas they had, like encyclopedia bombastica and flight club, and now they are all close to dying or dead.

I don't see any mailbags anymore, and outside of premium content and quick looks its all Alex/Patrick stuff which nobody really pays attention to if we're being honest.

Its difficult to not look at the site as dying.

megalowho

News is a bummer, but life stuff happens. Least they're getting bigger instead of smaller. Let's see how Giant Bomb 2.0 turns out, big shoes to fill in SF for sure though.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Oh god, I just realized that there will be no more V-Bomb.

or a bunch of V-Bomb, if they do one in GBNY.

Oh, you meant the character on Pathfinder? Geez, forgot about that, and now wish they had did more.

Wonder if this will bring about more Drake and Pope (Boston, right?)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
On the one hand its a total bummer but this is the kind of thing that can breathe some serious new life into the site. Excited to see how this turns out either way.

Yep..and I know i'm beating a dead horse at this point, but as much as I like Vinny, I don't think he can make Alex any less annoying. The combination of Jeff and Vinny have made some of the best content on the site, and on the internet I think personally. Losing that dynamic is just a huge blow.

I think that's why it's so weird that we are treating this like we are losing Vinny even though we aren't. The site thrived not necessarily because of innovative content, but because the core group remained stable and had chemistry that sitcom showrunners could only dream of.

That group was rattled when Ryan passed, and again when Patrick moved. Now this. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, as they deserve that, but you have to assume Jeff knows in his mind what he's losing by Vinny leaving. He can't say no, but you' have to think he's a bit crushed.

After reading through the thread....I dunno. Throughout all the weird stuff through the past fews years of following Giant Bomb--the CBS buyouts, Patrick moving, the weird content droughts--I've always remained confident and kinda dismissed the doom-and-glom talk.

But man, Giant Bomb is a personality site and I don't see how it's supposed to work when the personalities can't interact with each other. Vinny and Jeff bounce off each other great in podcasts and video, way more so than Jeff does with Brad and Drew or Vinny does with Alex. It's gonna be really weird. I don't doubt it's going to lead to more content, Patrick moving certainly did, but it's gonna be really different.

Whatever the case, it seems like a family-based decision, and good on Vinny for making it.

JayEH

Wow, just read the post. This change is huge. Really going to be weird not having Vinny be part of the main crew. I guess the new hires will be out in San Fran? I don't know, I skimmed through the post.

If this means more content, I'm for it. And this move is fast! Some shake ups are definitely happening...

cjDsrXt.jpg

I think that's why it's so weird that we are treating this like we are losing Vinny even though we aren't. The site thrived not necessarily because of innovative content, but because the core group remained stable and had chemistry that sitcom showrunners could only dream of.

That group was rattled when Ryan passed, and again when Patrick moved. Now this. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, as they deserve that, but you have to assume Jeff knows in his mind what he's losing by Vinny leaving. He can't say no, but you' have to think he's a bit crushed.

Yeah, we've had some good content since Ryan's passing, but I can't help but feel that the hole he left was never quite filled for those guys. When we started getting 3 man quick looks, I felt like they were starting to bounce back, and they would start acting motivated to make the site better, but that just never seemed to happen. Lack of ideas and execution just seemed to plague the site since then.

One thing that no one has ever really talked about, but I realize that TNT was Ryan's show technically, but the fact that they stopped that after his death felt like a disservice to his memory to me. Just made it feel apparent that no one besides Ryan gave a shit about the community and wanted to actually show appreciation for them by playing games with the fans 1 day a week.

I think what Patrick has been trying to do with content has been really admirable, but because he has no one to bounce off most of the time, his content is just really boring, and not much better than watching some dude's twitch page, especially since he does all his work from home.

ignata

As someone who has been very fortunate to find a job I enjoy and allows me to live comfortably, that comfort can keep you somewhere for a long time. I've had shitty jobs in okay places, but currently I am in a place I despise. It is super easy to get comfortable, and despite my disdain for where I live, that comfort keeps me from hardly ever looking for new job opportunities elsewhere.

I absolutely do not get the whole moving somewhere to be near family. It's 2014, talk to them on the phone or on Skype. But hey, Vinny gets that, and keeps his job, and moves to a place he loves. Good on him. I think Giant Bomb needed a good shake up and this, along with other upcoming changes, will be extremely interesting.

Rhaknar

Wow, just read the post. This change is huge. Really going to be weird not having Vinny be part of the main crew. I guess the new hires will be out in San Fran? I don't know, I skimmed through the post.

If this means more content, I'm for it. And this move is fast! Some shake ups are definitely happening...

But you have more content now. Giant bomb Chicago. Or Patrick/Alex morning show. Or Patrick doing solo quick looks. Brad playing Dota with a bunch of guys I don't know or care about. The problem is, do you care about any of that? If you do more power to you, this change won't affect you. But many of us don't

They really need to announce those new hires (and the transfer of Danny O'Dwyer from Gamespot to Giant Bomb) soon.

Unless this was a long con, he has confirmed he won't be joining GB

As someone who has been very fortunate to find a job I enjoy and allows me to live comfortably, that comfort can keep you somewhere for a long time. I've had shitty jobs in okay places, but currently I am in a place I despise. It is super easy to get comfortable, and despite my disdain for where I live, that comfort keeps me from hardly ever looking for new job opportunities elsewhere.

I absolutely do not get the whole moving somewhere to be near family. It's 2014, talk to them on the phone or on Skype. But hey, Vinny gets that, and keeps his job, and moves to a place he loves. Good on him. I think Giant Bomb needed a good shake up and this, along with other upcoming changes, will be extremely interesting.
Do you have kids?

obonicus

But you have more content now. Giant bomb Chicago. Or Patrick/Alex morning show. Or Patrick doing solo quick looks. Brad playing Dota with a bunch of guys I don't know or care about. The problem is, do you care about any of that? If you do more power to you, this change won't affect you. But many of us don't

This might mean Vinny on the morning show, three times a week.

Pudge

That has to happen, right? I mean...Danny has to be going to Giant Bomb...right?

Hasn't Danny made it clear repeatedly that he's NOT going to go to Giant Bomb? He's one of the higher up guys at Gamespot, going to Giant Bomb would be a demotion. He seems like he's going to be around the office a bunch and he's willing to sit in on shows at random like Alexis seems to do, but he's not going to be on staff.

This might mean Vinny on the morning show, three times a week.

Vinny taking Patrick down a peg on occasion would be the only thing that would make that morning show watchable.

Purple_Tentacle

Neo Member
Yeah, we've had some good content since Ryan's passing, but I can't help but feel that the hole he left was never quite filled for those guys. When we started getting 3 man quick looks, I felt like they were starting to bounce back, and they would start acting motivated to make the site better, but that just never seemed to happen. Lack of ideas and execution just seemed to plague the site since then

I think you've got some selective memory going on, man. Unprofessional Fridays has been rock solid week to week and that barely started before Ryan's passing. TNT could be pretty boring.

I don't see how the bombcast, specifically, doesn't suffer from Vinny being on the other coast but I'm not worried about video. if anything they're going to put out more hours.

Zabant

Well, Vinny gets a pass on anything he wants to do as he's more than earned it.

But let me be clear here, this "giant bomb expansion" is straight up spin-doctor stuff. You don't expand to new cities when you have only 4 (now 3) members working at your main office. Jeff said there are going to be 1-2 hires and it's going to be a long process, not exactly grand plans.

Vinny is leaving because as he put it, the second max was born, everything changed and rightfully so his priorities changed. Jeff talking about making GB a franchise is putting a happy face on what is (in the lens of giant bomb and what it's users want) a bad situation.

They're not dumb; they all feel it, GB isn't what it used to be and in all likelihood won't be like it was ever again.

It's biggest draws (bombcast and live streams) just lost the most popular member and is now looking like a skeleton crew.

Nobody can replace Vinny nor should they try.

This is the start of a bright and happy new future for Vinny and I wish him the world, But in all honesty, it's just another wound in the already injured giant bomb.

nbthedude

Saying Alex is annoying is overly harsh. But I will say he doesn't seem to know how to carry a conversation. On Bombing AM all he mostly does is lots of empty small and validating what Patrick says by saying the same thing Patrick already said all the time.

Mondays show is a case in point. Patrick talked about a subway worker giving him a death stare for wanting to hop to the other side and Alex reiterated for two full minutes that all subway workers are trained to death stare. That is what he always does. Just mostly small talk repetition with lots of empty phrased analysis about what "people think " (a quarter of his sentences must start with "People think....).

Which is fine for what he was hired for. Alex was originally a reviews and news guy and trailers guy. And he was good at that stuff. He isn't good at carrying a conversation (while recording at least). And sticking Vinny in a room with him won't change that.

Flambe

On one hand Grats to Vinny, I live a ways from most of my family too with a 2 year old and it sucks she isn't growing up with cousins or other extended family. So awesome for vinny to be going back to that.

On the other hand, fuck.

I Won't count them out as they are getting an office and vinny does fucking awesome when he's leading content like the bombcast so if he has free rein we might see some great content come out when stuff settles in.

But yeah no bombcast sucks, no tested podcast of dad's, etc. Those were great because I had my daughter right around when he had max and hearing him going through the same shit was hilarious.

Ah well, we'll see how she goes. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom