• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless this was a long con, he has confirmed he won't be joining GB

I mean yeah, but he's certainly been in a lot of content lately. I don't expect it but it would certainly be an upside to this news.

Also tumblr:

mrZI7hC.png

YVGpwkG.png

Jb

Wow, I imagine it was either that or him leaving but having THE lifeblood of the site in terms of energy and enthusiasm be out of the big shows to do stuff with the least interesting and funny guy of the bunch is terrible fucking news.
They should seriously look into a studio setup where people from both office can be on the same content (after all radio stations do it all the time), because spreading out your talent on multiple locations for a personality-based website is not really that smart a move.

JayEH

But you have more content now. Giant bomb Chicago. Or Patrick/Alex morning show. Or Patrick doing solo quick looks. Brad playing Dota with a bunch of guys I don't know or care about. The problem is, do you care about any of that? If you do more power to you, this change won't affect you. But many of us don't

Honestly, I've fallen off of Giant Bomb a lot since the beginning of this year. I used to post there often and watch all the content on their site. Now I just watch the occasional video on their YouTube channel.

To me, 2011 was the last great year of Giant Bomb. Everything that's happened to the site since the CBS buyout has greatly deteriorated it and Ryan's unfortunate passing has even furthered that.

The "touch" is gone. I used to love GB since it was just a few dudes in a basement having a good time and doing unique things like the Bombcast, Endurance Runs, TANG, and more. Now they just churn out the same thing over and over again. Weekly podcasts, a few quick looks, and some boring games being played on UPF.

I don't really agree with Jeff just letting everyone who wants to move, move. I mean if you want to move that's fine but I feel he's being too lenient about it. I'm trying to find a way to make this seem not so harsh but I can't but I hope people can see my point. It just feels like "Hey I really want to move back home" and Jeff's like "Ok, go ahead. You can just work from there." It just doesn't work for a site like this.

Anyway, there goes my long rant on GB. Sorry about that lol. The site really used to be something, and I'm really drifting away. I'm really looking for something to get excited about the site again. Maybe this will be it, maybe not. I just need some change from what they've been doing.

nbthedude

Well, Vinny gets a pass on anything he wants to do as he's more than earned it.

But let me be clear here, this "giant bomb expansion" is straight up spin-doctor stuff. You don't expand to new cities when you have only 4 (now 3) members working at your main office. Jeff said there are going to be 1-2 hires and it's going to be a long process, not exactly grand plans.

Vinny is leaving because as he put it, the second max was born, everything changed and rightfully so his priorities changed. Jeff talking about making GB a franchise is putting a happy face on what is (in the lens of giant bomb and what it's users want) a bad situation.

They're not dumb; they all feel it, GB isn't what it used to be and in all likelihood won't be like it was ever again.

It's biggest draws (bombcast and live streams) just lost the most popular member and is now looking like a skeleton crew.

Nobody can replace Vinny nor should they try.

This is the start of a bright and happy new future for Vinny and I wish him the world, But in all honesty, it's just another wound in the already injured giant bomb.
Agreed on all accounts.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

But let me be clear here, this "giant bomb expansion" is straight up spin-doctor stuff. You don't expand to new cities when you have only 4 (now 3) members working at your main office. Jeff said there are going to be 1-2 hires and it's going to be a long process, not exactly grand plans.

Vinny is leaving because as he put it, the second max was born, everything changed and rightfully so his priorities changed. Jeff talking about making GB a franchise is putting a happy face on what is (in the lens of giant bomb and what it's users want) a bad situation.

They're not dumb; they all feel it, GB isn't what it used to be and in all likelihood won't be like it was ever again.

It's biggest draws (bombcast and live streams) just lost the most popular member and is now looking like a skeleton crew.

This is the start of a bright and happy new future for Vinny and I wish him the world, But in all honesty, it's just another wound in the already injured giant bomb.

Yay, someone more eloquent than me. That is exactly what I was thinking and couldn't put in words.

This whole franchise idea, years in the making, just sounds so weird. Do actual big sites even have multiple offices across the country (gamespot or IGN for example). I guess they have UK offices and shit, but they are also mostly just faceless robots for most people. Isn't the fact that they were a smaller team always part of the appeal?

I get why Vinny is doing this but I have to feel like this is going to mess up my enjoyment of Giant Bomb. IT just feels like the worst pairings for me now. I love Vinny's work but find it hard to enjoy anything Alex is in. Patrick's stuff can be hit or miss and while I still like Jeff, Brad and Drew I worry this could mean more Rorie who I don't like at all.

I hope I am proven wrong and we still get some great content out of all of this but I am worried now that whatever we do get just won't be what I'm looking for anymore.

Fox318

Well said.

stktt

Banned
Why does Vinny have to prioritize his family? What about my entertainment needs? :(

I can barely tolerate Alex, and it will be difficult to replicate what Vinny brought to the site with him acting in an auxiliary role. Unless the new hire is incredible, I don't know how relying on Jeff, Brad, and Drew for the majority of the content I visit the site for will pan out.

Eternia

It's weird that they talked up all these ideas they had, like encyclopedia bombastica and flight club, and now they are all close to dying or dead.

I don't see any mailbags anymore, and outside of premium content and quick looks its all Alex/Patrick stuff which nobody really pays attention to if we're being honest.

Its difficult to not look at the site as dying.
Yeah, some of the hooks that really pulled me in were random old PC games with Vinny and Dave, endurance runs and flight club. PC games eventually moved to just Vinny playing something with whoever and now that's up in the air. Remember when Dave, Drew and Vinny were supposed to each learn to fly their own plane? Endurance Runs ended up being too costly and I'm unsure how much any of them enjoy that long grind. What about load our last save which was led by Vinny?

:(

Conceited

mechaniphiliac

Couldn't have said it better.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Also, not to pile on (but I'm going to :/), Drew is absolutely flat on the bombcast. I think he's awesome and super interesting (I'm jealous if his life) but he barely speaks, barely plays any games (as much as we joke about the bombcast going off topic, it's still a videogame podcast, an every time they haven't played any of the new releases for example I just cringe) and just overall feels unconfortable on the podcast, especially compared to the rest. It's not just Vinny leaving, it's everything else that is affected by it.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, this is pretty much what I was thinking as well. Nicely put.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I would personally just wait and see how the new hires are first.

It's definitely going to be a new era though.

I guess it's more of my personality to remain optimistic until proven otherwise though.

Especially since "franchising"/expansion just seems to un-Jeff.

Holy crap, WHAT? Vinny is leaving???
Man, I hope GB pulls through, it's been rough this past year or two.

I agree with some of the posters though, I feel something was lost with Patrick moving, Ryan unfortunately passing away, and now with Vinny moving too it won't help things get better.
At this point, they're going to be a 3-man team on both locations, and I wonder if they're going to pull this off.

Kimaka

Hasn't Danny made it clear repeatedly that he's NOT going to go to Giant Bomb? He's one of the higher up guys at Gamespot, going to Giant Bomb would be a demotion. He seems like he's going to be around the office a bunch and he's willing to sit in on shows at random like Alexis seems to do, but he's not going to be on staff.

Yep. As great as Danny is, he's not leaving Gamespot for Giant Bomb. Besides, they still have the new hires to sort through. Danny's been around for only a few months (a year?) and everyone took a liking to him. The new hires could blend in just as well as he did.

Purple_Tentacle

Neo Member
Considering giant bomb hasn't been the same consistent product for six months ever I'm not that worried.

The first piece of content to suck me in was the MK scrub league. They've never done that again since. Then I went back and watched the Persona ER. Then I loved flight club. Then Unprofessional Fridays.

The true worst thing for Giant Bomb would be an unhappy Vinny.

Jb

I'm kinda shocked at all the negative comments about Alex ITT. I think the guys funny and interesting.

He held his own when he was on Screened (probably because it was justhim & Rorie), but on GB he feels like a fan of the site who's just excited/anxious to be there and always derives his opinion from whatever the core guys have said.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Sad to see Vinny leave the main crew, but he needs to do what he needs to do.

On the bombcast front, why can they not just get him on an external line?

edit: and congrats to Drew on the promotion (kind of implied).

Yep. As great as Danny is, he's not leaving Gamespot for Giant Bomb. Besides, they still have the new hires to sort through. Danny's been around for only a few months (a year?) and everyone took a liking to him. The new hires could blend in just as well as he did.

^THIS. Have faith y'all.

hwy_61

Banned
He held his own when he was on Screened (probably because it was justhim & Rorie), but on GB he feels like a fan of the site who's just excited/anxious to be there and always derives his opinion from whatever the core guys have said.

Wow, I could not disagree more.

Lothars

I fully disagree, Vinny leaving the west coast to the east coast is more of a wait and see thing but i don't see it as a huge negative especially if it still produces great content.

I think as always people are overreacting and it's pretty crazy how it's the same narritive that people keep saying Giant Bomb is dead when it's far from.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Danny O'Dwyer ‏@dannyodwyer 3m
Delighted that @VinnyCaravella is going home to family but sad to see him go. I had 7 months working alongside a hero, that will have to do.

:(

Odrion

Banned

Ditto.

Just merge already.

Kaizer

Banned
I'm not one to get all doom and gloomy when it comes to this kind of thing, as I myself haven't even really been paying attention to videogames much at all due to changes in my life, but losing Vinny from UPF, Jeff & Vinny Quicklooks and the Bombcast is just killer.

At the end of the day I understand the man has to do what's best for his family, as he should, but there's no denying that the fundamental core and structure of what initially interested me in Giant Bomb is pretty much gone at this point with the absence of Ryan (R.I.P.), Patrick and now Vinny.

I'll keep checking out the site of course and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what this new development will bring in terms of content but without Vinny on the Bombcast my general interest in Giant Bomb has dropped from like 85% to 30%.

BigAT

Where the hell am I supposed to go for up to the minute sports video game coverage now that the Giant Bomb Sports Team is being dissolved?

Van Owen

Banned
Basically they're argument is that they have so much content they want to produce and they need two offices to do it, which seems odd since the site isn't bursting with content to begin with.

Tan

GB community dislike tier list;

S: Alex
A: Patrick, Rorie
B: Brad
C: Drew
D: Jeff

Vinny doesn't make the list. Nobody dislikes Vinny.

I thought everyone had finally come to their senses and realized that Alex is good people. I'd be happy to see him in more content, but having Vinny in less of the SF content (bombcast especially!) bums me out. No one can play FMV games like Vinny can.

Where the hell am I supposed to go for up to the minute sports video game coverage now that the Giant Bomb Sports Team is being dissolved?

Oh god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom