• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ869

Alex and Rorie are excellent alone and as two of them, anybody else and they seem to have hard time finding they're place and rythm

hwy_61

Banned
I'd think New York is just as expensive. The Brad thing was in jest, he sounds happy with his current situation but who knows? As someone who's transplanted from the south, I sure do miss the food and cost of living.

Manhattan is expensive, but you can still find affordable places in the other boroughs.

Otnopolit

Pretty struck by the negativity and lack of faith by you guys regarding Vinny's expedition east. I'm not going to assume the worst because these guys have done a great job thus far at creating the most entertaining video game website on the planet, and I have confidence and trust that they mean business with the expansion. Change is scary, but they're right: it's the only way to progress the site forward and it's turning Vinny's move into a gain instead of a loss.

So lighten up and don't count your bombs before they blow up!

Talking about new hires (and I might be speaking out of turn here) do you guys think the new hires will be able to cope with the sheer amount of judging eyes they are about to draw?

God help if one is a female, it's pessimistic but I've been around the block and know how the internet works and I guarantee people will cry foul about her ruining "their" boys club no matter how well she fits in and her quality of work. Just look back on the introduction of Patrick, some of the criticism aimed at him is beyond fucking stupid, he gets incredible amounts of hate and a lot of it is unjustified.

I just hope the GB fans who are now very aware that their favourite site is hurting don't misguidedly shift all those bad feelings onto shitting on the new guys which guarantees a further decline in the community.

At lease I hope we give them a fair shot, then perhaps later if they don't fit in or produce interesting content we voice our concerns. I get a feeling that Jeff wouldn't fire a team member even if he found out everyone despised them and that they were a secret cannibal .

I feel like a female hire would draw more positive attention than negative, at least at first. With Rev3 an ever sinking ship, I've heard some people suggest Tara Long as a permanent member - and I think that could work. She always seemed to have that ideal balance of knowledge, opinion, and irreverence that Giant Bomb runs on.

But yeah, whoever they find has to know what they're getting into. A website with a fanbase that can - and will - judge them harshly for their personalities, and personal lives.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Pretty struck by the negativity and lack of faith by you guys regarding Vinny's expedition east. I'm not going to assume the worst because these guys have done a great job thus far at creating the most entertaining video game website on the planet, and I have confidence and trust that they mean business with the expansion. Change is scary, but they're right: it's the only way to progress the site forward and it's turning Vinny's move into a gain instead of a loss.

So lighten up and don't count your bombs before they blow up!

Many of us feel the quality of the site has been in decline for months now tho, it's not like it was amazing today and will be horrible tomorrow because someone leaves, it's been building up with the cbs purchase, Patrick leaving, Ryan passing, etc

hwy_61

Banned
I'd hate to be in that office on Vinny's last day. Must be a big ole blubbering cry fest.

Or maybe it isn't. I get a little emotional with goodbyes.

hwy_61

Banned
Learn something new everyday. I'm completely ignorant of that part of the country. Thank you both.

You've never been to NYC? I highly recommend it. Once while I was waiting for the train, a Chinese woman kneeled down right next to me, hiked up her skirt and pissed right on the subway platform. Got back up and kept on her merry way. Not a soul was phased by what just happened.

NYC is the best!

Happy that Vinny is doing what's best for his family, but......

Live shows like UPF are lifeless without Vinny since he brings his enthusiastic attitude and elevates the other guys. Jeff is great, but I hope they bring in the right people who'll soften the loss of Vinny throughout all of their content. I hope GBNY works out, fingers crossed.

edit: Also that New York apartment hunting discussion on the last bombcast may have been a red flag :(

bender

What time is it?
You've never been to NYC? I highly recommend it. Once while I was waiting for the train, a Chinese woman kneeled down right next to me, hiked up her skirt and pissed right on the subway platform. Got back up and kept on her merry way. Not a soul was phased by what just happened.

NYC is the best!

Nah, Connecticut is as close as I've come. One day though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
NYC is rad, going there is still the pinnacle of my shitty European life

Zabant

Pointless spitballin' here but I hope they hire Female Jeff aka Carrie Gouskos. Their chemistry and rapport is just what GB needs.

Rhaknar

Pointless spitballin' here but I hope they hire Female Jeff aka Carrie Gouskos. Their chemistry and rapport is just what GB needs.

Still my dream hire. I would forgive Vinny leaving if that happened

I wake up to 10 new pages in the thread and figured something big must've happened. Well I certainly wasn't wrong. So Vinny and Alex will actually have some sort of studio setup in New York?

At least I saw the news before I listened to the Bombcast, if the first 15 minutes are anything to go by it's going to be nothing but references to this.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I wake up to 10 new pages in the thread and figured something big must've happened. Well I certainly wasn't wrong. So Vinny and Alex will actually have some sort of studio setup in New York?

At least I saw the news before I listened to the Bombcast, if the first 15 minutes are anything to go buy it's going to be nothing but references to this.

Not really. Only one section that's fairly small devoted to it really.

Otnopolit

Many of us feel the quality of the site has been in decline for months now tho, it's not like it was amazing today and will be horrible tomorrow because someone leaves, it's been building up with the cbs purchase, Patrick leaving, Ryan passing, etc

I truthfully can't asses if the quality of the site has gone down since those instances because I'm pretty new to the site in general (started being an avid follower last spring and just recently a subscriber the past month) so I don't have a good pulse of that. My perspective on the state of the site is there have been more than a couple events that would contribute to a decline in quality, but don't necessarily mean that GB has peaked and can never hit the same marks again. Though the loss of Ryan was huge. =(

No more Vinny during UPF? No more Jeff and Vinny combo?
post-27421-Im-in-a-glass-case-of-emotion-xSnR.gif

Khezu

Hopefully when the new hires show up, they start doing stuff, like anything really.

GB has been in a rut for a long while, it's just QL, QL, QL, UPF, Podcast, QL, QL.

pelican

Said it in the Bombcast thread, but the site needs new blood. I know this is stating the obvious, but it is true.

I've felt the site has become a bit stale. This "expansion" and new hires is exactly what the site need. Time to spice things up a bit.

Time to cancel my subscription, I always said if Vinny left that's the only thing keeping me watching.

Nothing against them but I don't like Patrick or Alex content and if Vinny moves there then it means more Lang and Temkin, more people I don't like.

Which then leaves Brad to pick up the slack and I don't enjoy his content or him driving the games either.

It's a shame, all good things come to an end.

elfinke

In the beef emails of the last few weeks podcasts, there had been a suspicious amount of querying about NY...

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!!

lol

valeo

Hopefully when the new hires show up, they start doing stuff, like anything really.

GB has been in a rut for a long while, it's just QL, QL, QL, UPF, Podcast, QL, QL.

Yep. GB is getting stale, imo, and this might be the shake up it needs.

Jeff realises this, I think - hence why he wants to focus on different kinds of content.

BearPawB

Banned

except all patrick content (bombing/spookin/(spelunky/binding of isaac while those lasted), Vinnyvania, dota stuff, etc.

They haven't been necessarily sticking with any one concept too long. But you are selling it way short.

Javes

Question to all the people that come to Giant Bomb only for Vinny, do you skip past all of the non-Vinny content or do you 'endure' the parts where he is absent from the screen/podcast?

fleck0

I'm glad I've always like Alex and the content he makes, I hope he gets to interview more developers now that Vinny will be around. Really gonna miss V/J quicklooks.

Question to all the people that come to Giant Bomb only for Vinny, do you skip past all of the non-Vinny content or do you 'endure' the parts where he is absent from the screen/podcast?

if they're having fun I'll watch/listen, if it's cynical jaded bullshit I skip over it.

maybe it won't be called an endurance run, but I think we'd be more likely to get something like that in SF with whoever the new editor they hire is and hopefully Jeff. short-ish long-running videos that come with stuff like endurance runs seem like a good way to introduce a new hire. if it's just going to be Vinny/Alex in NY it seems like it would be tough to do a video series like that, but I've got no clue what kind of daily time commitment it takes.

hold on what happens to the SF podcast now when Jeff's out? do Brad/Drew/new hires draw straws to see who has to host?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom