• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question to all the people that come to Giant Bomb only for Vinny, do you skip past all of the non-Vinny content or do you 'endure' the parts where he is absent from the screen/podcast?

I force myself to watch videos that don't have Vinny in and rarely make it past 15-20 mins of a Quick Look.

GB has lost it's spark and now Vinny is leaving the main office it's just going to be Brad and Jeff content, Mr Boring and Mr Jaded.

I don't begrudge Vinny leaving, he is a great guy and has definitely earned it but it's only a matter of time now till GB is folded into Gamespot.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I force myself to watch videos that don't have Vinny in and rarely make it past 15-20 mins of a Quick Look.

GB has lost it's spark and now Vinny is leaving the main office it's just going to be Brad and Jeff content, Mr Boring and Mr Jaded.

I don't begrudge Vinny leaving, he is a great guy and has definitely earned it but it's only a matter of time now till GB is folded into Gamespot.

In his post he specifically talked about still making content with him in it.

reggie

Banned
I think these guys have been high on their own shit for too long. For how long has the crew said "the site will improve" or some variation? The site has been on downward spiral for a while now, I rarely even visit the place anymore.

Not only will this move do nothing, I'd argue it's just going to make it worse.

No offense to the GB east guys, but who here is honestly interested in anything those guys have to say? GB is Jeff/Vinny/Brad&Ryan - and that's it.

You've basically lost half of what made your website. As far as I'm concerned this is the final nail in the coffin.

Plasma

Banned
It just won't be the same without Vinny at the main office, I really hope they hire more than a couple of people it just doesn't seem enough. The past few months it feels like they've been stretched thin running on a skeleton crew as it is.

Chuck

Still without luck
Vinny wondering if hiring people is the best decision for a "personality driven site"

FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST YES YOU NEED TO HIRE PEOPLE.

Vinny is the star of GB and always has been. End of an era.

I don't want to be too pessimistic but I feel this is where I lose a lot of interest in GB content.

Vinny was the one who made half the content entertaining.

:(

Myggen

Huh, this is interesting at least. I'll give it some time and see how it develops before getting too pessimistic about it. Feel like those guys have earned my goodwill that way, so I won't doom and gloom right now. Can't say it's too surprising, both Vinny and his wife's from NYC (or she might be from Jersey, but whatever).

I'm sure the new hires will come sooner rather than later now though, with Vinny moving next week. I don't doubt that Jeff will be pushing for more hires ASAP too, now there'll only be one more person in the SF office than before the hires. I also like Vinny so much that I hope they break the rule of normally no Skype on the Bombcast. Skype that dude in!

Ominym

Banned
Seriously, what the fuck?! I get it, it's a good move for him. He needs his family. He has to do what's right for him as a person and as a husband/father/family member. But... Damn. What a harsh blow to Giant Bomb.

This isn't the death of Giant Bomb by any stretch. But this is huge.

Aaron

I think remember Drew hosting the podcast at least once, and livestreams a few times. I seem to recall him doing a pretty good job.
Drew hosts the F1 podcast, and does a great job there keeping things organized and moving. Might be easier with two people though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Honestly, I've felt like the site's been running on fumes since Ryan passed. Possibly even since Patrick left. My visiting of the site has decreased by around 75%, and this just sent it to 100%. The only reason I was into the site at this point was Jeff/Vinny quick looks. It also felt like ALL the new content was being locked behind pay walls now. Any time anything new or interesting came up, it was Premium and Quick Looks just felt like they did them because they had to do them.

But yeah, this is it then. What a bummer, but I'm not really surprised. I'm sure the site will do fine, but it's completely erased my desire to keep checking the site.

Helmholtz

Honestly, I've felt like the site's been running on fumes since Ryan passed. Possibly even since Patrick left. My visiting of the site has decreased by around 75%, and this just sent it to 100%. The only reason I was into the site at this point was Jeff/Vinny quick looks. It also felt like ALL the new content was being locked behind pay walls now. Any time anything new or interesting came up, it was Premium and Quick Looks just felt like they did them because they had to do them.

But yeah, this is it then. What a bummer, but I'm not really surprised. I'm sure the site will do fine, but it's completely erased my desire to keep checking the site.
Sums up my thoughts precisely. Ryan's passing was pretty upsetting to me and the void that was left behind never got filled. Ryan and Vinny were always my favorite staff members, so with Vinny leaving I don't think I'll be visiting the site anymore. Not that I have been much lately anyway, but it's still a bummer. Best of luck to Jeff, Brad and co though. Losing such key members of the family must be pretty rough and I do hope the website doesn't fall off the map.

petghost

Banned
i think this is probably super good! gonna shake stuff up a little bit instead of doing the same predictable stuff every week. its real hard to be creative when you got a schedule like that.

Myggen

Sums up my thoughts precisely. Ryan's passing was pretty upsetting to me and the void that was left behind never got filled. Ryan and Vinny were always my favorite staff members, so with Vinny leaving I don't think I'll be visiting the site anymore. Not that I have been much lately anyway, but it's still a bummer. Best of luck to Jeff, Brad and co though. Losing such key members of the family must be pretty rough and I do hope the website doesn't fall off the map.

You make it sound like he's quitting the site.

Anyways, I echo many of the concerns around here, but at the same time I have fate in Vinny turning this into something good. I hope Vinny and Alex will be able to go out and film some more random stuff, like the idea he had on his Twitter of just going out to Staten Island and doing dumb shit.

Helmholtz

You make it sound like he's quitting the site.

Anyways, I echo many of the concerns around here, but at the same time I have fate in Vinny turning this into something good.
True, guess I'm jumping to conclusions before anything happens. However based on the stuff patrick/alex have done while being away from the main HQ, I'm not very optimistic. GB suffers when the staffers are separated from each other in my opinion.

Antiwhippy

True, guess I'm jumping to conclusions before anything happens. However based on the stuff patrick/alex have done while being away from the main HQ, I'm not very optimistic. GB suffers when the staffers are separated from each other in my opinion.

Alex has been doing nothing of note but patrick's stuff has been going strength to strength for awhile now.

reggie

Banned
Jesus this thread is full of Chicken Littles. Calm down and give it some time first.

Except the website has been on a decline for ages. This is just the final nail.

Honestly am baffled at how CBS is letting them open another office? I'd be wondering where all the fucking money is going with the tiny amount of content they put out each week.

Dizzy-4U

Hey guys, what's Ricardo Torres doing these days?

Even though I'm not sure if his personality would fit in with what GB needs right now, I always really liked him.

Honestly am baffled at how CBS is letting them open another office? I'd be wondering where all the fucking money is going with the tiny amount of content they put out each week.

Agreed.

Not even Gamespot has multiple US offices and they are a lot bigger than Giantbomb and have the resources to do it.

Jeff must be one hell of a negotiator, Vinny was probably going to leave Giantbomb and move home, he has the skills to land a high paying producer/editing job that would give him more time to spend with his family.

Not sure why opening up an east coast office makes any sense other than Jeff wanting to retain the backbone of the site, Vinny.

Antiwhippy

Tiny? They probably put close to 7-8 hours of content of a weekly basis.

The Persona 5 Endurance Run dream is dead. Why even go on living now?

It was never alive!

Alex has been doing nothing of note but patrick's stuff has been going strength to strength for awhile now.

Alex is the Royal Rumble champion, you SOB!

More seriously, change happens. Honestly, if you guys listened to the last 10 minutes of the Bombcast (and noticed Vinny's general tenor since the move to the suburbs), it's not entirely surprising to me. It really sounded like the choice was, move to NYC as a member of the site or leave the site and find a video producing gig in New York.

When you have a kid and a good relationship with both parts of your family, and it's possible to move your job closer to them, without missing much culture wise (cause it's not like San Fran to NY is a downgrade and also, it's not like Vinny was hitting the clubs every week), moving is a no brainer. I realize this and I don't even have kids.

Valtýr

Do you know how much money CBS budgets for Giantbomb? Care to share figures and statistics to back up your concerns?

Wow, I'm fucking torn.

On the one hand, I reckon GBNY can produce some amazing content and it's great that we're going to be essentially getting double the amount of content.

...but on the other hand, Vinny/Jeff is the best duo BY FAR and instantly draw me to any video, regardless of the actual content (those dudes even make sports games interesting to me). Hell, even with epic shit like Windjammers on the Extra Life stream, the Vinny/Jeff face-offs were the best moments.

Then there's the bombcast.

God-fucking-damnit. This is going to take some getting used to.

Another one of those times where I click on this thread and I wonder if anyone in here actually likes the website or they just like complaining about it.

Another one of those times where I click on this thread and I wonder if anyone in here actually likes the website or they just like complaining about it.

Like most things, they like it exactly the way it was when they first started consuming this form of entertainment. Look at any thread on any forum about anything and when you narrow down people complaining about things changing, it usually comes down to, "it's not like how it was when I started watching/listening/doing this thing."

Which doesn't make them terrible people. It's just a standard human emotion.

rObit

Banned
what the hell is a chicken little?

It was a delicious tiny chicken sandwich from KFC about a decade ago before they got rid of it only to bring it back way worse recently.

I do not know what it has to do with the current conversation.

Turnstyle

Ryan's passing was pretty upsetting to me and the void that was left behind never got filled.

Sure, but how do you think it's been for the GB guys? They lost a colleague and good friend, who they'd known for years, and seen day in, day out. Obviously there was a lot of well wishing and support from the community, but it's still got to be raw - it's not even been a year since he passed. Could you turn up to work everyday and produce endless, peppy, humourous content, in the months that followed? Never mind the fact that they were a man down. I think they've done incredibly well to produce what they have. To hear people complain about a lack of content seems churlish, considering just how low the cost of a sub is (especially if you pay for a year upfront).

These days, I don't even know what's premium and what isn't. I pay a yearly sub, because I think the wealth of entertainment I get from the site is huge. Sure, there's thousands of people doing the equivalent of Quick Looks on YouTube for free, or podcasts, longplays etc but none of them are as entertaining as the GB crew. I think they deserve a few dollars a month.

Naturally I was disappointed to hear that Vinny was leaving the SF office, and the fact that it means less Vinny content with the main crew - I've been listening to the bombcast for years, and I watch GB video content pretty much every night - as a father to a one year old I don't get the time to play videogames much anymore, so I end up living my hobby through Jeff, et al. I look forward to the Bombcast every week, like we all do. Wednesday mornings are my favourite commute, because I've got a fresh GB podcast to listen to. It's not even about the 'gamez' most of the time - it's a great, entertaining podcast, regardless of the subject matter.

So, although I was surprised to hear the news, I'm seeing the positive here. More GB content? I'll take it. Yes, we'll lose some of that great Jeff/Vinny chemistry, but I'm hoping that the new hires can fill that void. If anyone knows who can make great content, it's Jeff, so we can be sure that he'll pick the right people. In Jeff we trust.

Yeah I forgot you can only praise a site if you like it.

If anything it just proves how many people care about it if they are lamenting the loss of the guy who keeps it all together and brings the fun.

Jeff is cynical and jaded, Brad is awkward and quiet, Rorie is super serious, with Vinny gone that leaves Drew to do all the studio work.

Essentially you are down to two Quicklook staff now. Jeff gets super irritated with the way Brad plays games and this is just going to make quicklooks not fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom