• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, but how do you think it's been for the GB guys? They lost a colleague and good friend, who they'd known for years, and seen day in, day out. Obviously there was a lot of well wishing and support from the community, but it's still got to be raw - it's not even been a year since he passed. Could you turn up to work everyday and produce endless, peppy, humourous content, in the months that followed? Never mind the fact that they were a man down. I think they've done incredibly well to produce what they have. To hear people complain about a lack of content seems churlish, considering just how low the cost of a sub is (especially if you pay for a year upfront).

These days, I don't even know what's premium and what isn't. I pay a yearly sub, because I think the wealth of entertainment I get from the site is huge. Sure, there's thousands of people doing the equivalent of Quick Looks on YouTube for free, or podcasts, longplays etc but none of them are as entertaining as the GB crew. I think they deserve a few dollars a month.

Naturally I was disappointed to hear that Vinny was leaving the SF office, and the fact that it means less Vinny content with the main crew - I've been listening to the bombcast for years, and I watch GB video content pretty much every night - as a father to a one year old I don't get the time to play videogames much anymore, so I end up living my hobby through Jeff, et al. I look forward to the Bombcast every week, like we all do. Wednesday mornings are my favourite commute, because I've got a fresh GB podcast to listen to. It's not even about the 'gamez' most of the time - it's a great, entertaining podcast, regardless of the subject matter.

So, although I was surprised to hear the news, I'm seeing the positive here. More GB content? I'll take it. Yes, we'll lose some of that great Jeff/Vinny chemistry, but I'm hoping that the new hires can fill that void. If anyone knows who can make great content, it's Jeff, so we can be sure that he'll pick the right people. In Jeff we trust.

Pretty much this. Just the podcasts are basically 5-7 hours of free entertainment per week, depending on whether there's an F1 podcast (which is entertaining even if you know little about F1) and how long the Bombcast is.

But then again, I'm in a weird situation. I've always seen Giantbomb as an entertainment venture more than a videogame website. So, the fact they tend not to talk deeply about games bothers me not at all. Give me snarking about the gaming news even if they aren't 100% accurate, silly emails, and non-games talk over intense DOTA strategies or deep talk about the controls of random action game #567.

Essentially you are down to two Quicklook staff now. Jeff gets super irritated with the way Brad plays games and this is just going to make quicklooks not fun to watch.

See, this is overthinking. I've probably watched dozens of QL's w/ the Jeff/Brad combo and never noticed Jeff being more irritated than he already is on a normal day. As far as Jeff being 'jaded', I thought everybody wanted a games journalist who didn't buy into all the hype? Oh, right, unless it's hype you want him to buy into. Forgot that. Jeff is the closest thing in the games press we have to an old school seen it all reporter who doesn't give a shit, and he's called jaded.

Aaron

It was a delicious tiny chicken sandwich from KFC about a decade ago before they got rid of it only to bring it back way worse recently.

I do not know what it has to do with the current conversation.
I used to eat so many of those. When KFC took them off the menu, that's when I stopped going to KFC. I hear they had them in limited release in some locations like New York, but it just wasn't the same.

Myggen

Yeah I forgot you can only praise a site if you like it.

If anything it just proves how many people care about it if they are lamenting the loss of the guy who keeps it all together and brings the fun.

Jeff is cynical and jaded, Brad is awkward and quiet, Rorie is super serious, with Vinny gone that leaves Drew to do all the studio work.

Essentially you are down to two Quicklook staff now. Jeff gets super irritated with the way Brad plays games and this is just going to make quicklooks not fun to watch.

Well, there's also the two new hires, even if those are an unknown right now.

When did Rorie become super serious btw?

I really don't get all the doom and gloom. New things are exciting. Change is exciting.

Just look at Patrick's move. There was the same outpouring of doom and gloom when that was announced, but look at what it's led to - a load of great new content.

I for one can't wait to see what content this leads to.

I do think Vinny brought an energy to things that none of the other guys really have. Jeff comes close when he wants, I guess, but it's still not the same. Everyone else is sort of... sleepy by comparison.

only way this works to me is if Brad and Jeff start taking caffeine shots/buckfast before recording video

Based on Patrick's move to Chicago, I'm fairly optimistic about Vinny moving. Sure it sucks that there will be no more Vinny + another person Quick Looks, but hopefully the remaining crew and the new person (people?) can pick up the slack.

Shingro

I'm worried a bit about Gb at this point, fundamentally they're entertainers who are most entertaining because of their chemistry and ability to joke with each other. Moving so many people far away might hurt the chemistry beyond repair.

Brad and Jeff are somewhat the straight men of the crew, I don't know who is going to be the wacky sort now in GB:Main and I don't know if Alex is a good enough foil to Vinny for GB New York

Yeah I forgot you can only praise a site if you like it.

If anything it just proves how many people care about it if they are lamenting the loss of the guy who keeps it all together and brings the fun.

Jeff is cynical and jaded, Brad is awkward and quiet, Rorie is super serious, with Vinny gone that leaves Drew to do all the studio work.

God you guys are a bunch of entitled shits.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Another one of those times where I click on this thread and I wonder if anyone in here actually likes the website or they just like complaining about it.

Jesus this thread is full of Chicken Littles. Calm down and give it some time first.

Oh masters, would you please tell me what we are allowed to be worried about?

God you guys are a bunch of entitled shits.

Be polite, please
In general when posting in threads, don't be a dick. Be respectful of other fellow members, and learn to argue against the points in a discussion without making it personal or insulting the other party. Present your points well and others will respect your opinion more. Using proper grammar and avoiding typos will also make it easier for others to understand your message.
You're a real fucking winner, you know that?

Jamie OD

One thing that no one has ever really talked about, but I realize that TNT was Ryan's show technically, but the fact that they stopped that after his death felt like a disservice to his memory to me. Just made it feel apparent that no one besides Ryan gave a shit about the community and wanted to actually show appreciation for them by playing games with the fans 1 day a week.

The last couple of months for TNT were dull for the most part. Just two guys playing Game A while a third person played Game B. The show wasn't great unless everyone involved were playing the same game together.

Uff duh

Banned
Vinny leaving sucks. But its not all bad the is still Drew Brad and Jeff. Also who knows who there bringing in with the new hires. I have faith they will keep up the site and there content. Plus who knows what new stuff Vinny and Alex will come up with could be real good. plus some Vinny production on bombin in the a.m. could be really cool just sayn.

The last couple of months for TNT were dull for the most part. Just two guys playing Game A while a third person played Game B. The show wasn't great unless everyone involved were playing the same game together.

It could still be fun to watch if it involved a new release that people just wanna see more content of. If it wasn't an every week thing, it'd be cool if they did it for some new games that warrant it.

pronk420

so now all vinny content comes with alex.. and basically in friscobomb there will only be brad and jeff, since drew is always manning the controls. UPF with just brad and jeff will be weird.

i think brad+vinny was a pretty essential combo for a lot of quicklooks, since jeff seems pretty jaded and uninterested in games quite often

Alex and Vinny might actually be a good combo.

Alex is basically a happier, stoner version of jeff. Like he is Jeff's shitty little brother or something.

Also maybe Vinny will let alex know its time to let that hair go and embrase balding.

Myggen

so now all vinny content comes with alex.. and basically in friscobomb there will only be brad and jeff, since drew is always manning the controls. UPF with just brad and jeff will be weird.

i think brad+vinny was a pretty essential combo for a lot of quicklooks, since jeff seems pretty jaded and uninterested in games quite often

Also, don't forget the two new hires, even if we don't know who those will be yet.

Ban Puncher

Mo' offices, mo' staff, mo' content.

gxGHR.gif

1 gb will be fine.

2 vinny is Italian and is going home

3 2 new hires

4 danny o dwyer

5 Rorie

6 bombing in the am

7 lets talk about it this fucking rationally people we can talk about it on both sides of the fence. We are not children and should keep civil

8 emmceegamr pls.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
1 gb will be fine.

2 vinny is Italian and is going home

3 2 new hires

4 danny o dwyer

5 Rorie

6 bombing in the am

7 lets talk about it this fucking rationally people we can talk about it on both sides of the fence. We are not children and should keep civil

8 emmceegamr pls.

We need 4 more items to make our GB christmas album.

rObit

Banned
I used to eat so many of those. When KFC took them off the menu, that's when I stopped going to KFC. I hear they had them in limited release in some locations like New York, but it just wasn't the same.

For sure dude, I'd order 5-6 of those babies and eat like a king.

amardilo

When Patrick said he was moving to Chicago I felt like this could be bad but we got some good content (love the morning show) and we got to see more of Alex. With Vinny going to NY I don't feel the same sense of dread as it has been proven that the GB staff can work in different areas. But I still hope they have a strong core group in the San Francisco office.

Based on Patrick's move to Chicago, I'm fairly optimistic about Vinny moving. Sure it sucks that there will be no more Vinny + another person Quick Looks, but hopefully the remaining crew and the new person (people?) can pick up the slack.

Maybe we could get more Alex and Vinny Quick Looks.

Zabant

Oh maaaan... This god damn pooping in front of a teenager girl discussion...

Fuck me I'm gonna miss Vinny on the bombcast.

demidar

Oh masters, would you please tell me what we are allowed to be worried about?

While the news is a bummer, why don't you give it some time to shake out?

But I guess I'm in the minority, considering I enjoy Patrick and Alex's output so I personally don't see a decline. You guys are acting like Vinny is being sent in to the Void, never to come back when he's only just moving to NY, which is like The Void's junior.

chogidogs

I trust in the guys' ability to eventually make this awesome. I don't however trust CBSi to suppost them in the ways they need to in the future.

Flambe

No offense to the GB east guys, but who here is honestly interested in anything those guys have to say? GB is Jeff/Vinny/Brad&Ryan - and that's it.

That's pretty harsh. Obviously you're entitled to your opinion don't include everyone else in them.

Yes there's the core group, but I've also quite enjoyed Patrick and Drew in their elements and Matt is fine too.

jgminto

I think it's fine to be worried about it, it's a big change but people are seriously overreacting. It's way too early to even know what effect it will have on the site. We don't even know what Vinny would be doing in NY yet. All they've said is that they plan on doing more long-form content, which could mean endurance runs or something similar.

We got Giant Bomb, Giant Bomb Chi-Town and now Giant Bomb East.

We lose Vinny from the mothership but get a 3 pronged attack inside The Lang Zone.

OK!

So who's moving to Atlanta to start Giant Bomb South?

okay i've stopped shaking, my bowels are emptied, and i vomited everywhere.

Honestly though as long as this turns out like the patrick move and we get a lot more vinny centric content that's okay with me. Patrick being on his own allowed him to really stretch out and express his own personality and style, and I think that Vinny getting the same chance will mean some great content and videos in the future.

Of course, there's the chance that all our vinny-related content will be diluted by the presence of alex and that's a bad thought.

I don't mind alex I just don't find him as interesting to listen to or as fun as the rest of the guys. I am not trying to be one of those guys who hates on GB but Alex just is dull to me. I don't usually listen to Bombin the AM for that reason.

V_Ben

Banned
I think it's fine to be worried about it, it's a big change but people are seriously overreacting. It's way too early to even know what effect it will have on the site. We don't even know what Vinny would be doing in NY yet. All they've said is that they plan on doing more long-form content, which could mean endurance runs or something similar.

I feel like Vinny and Alex is going to be the glorious nonsense we've all been craving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom